Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to mount 96-00 CTR lower rear spoiler?

Old 08-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to mount 96-00 CTR lower rear spoiler?

Can anyone tell me how this spoiler mounts to the bumper cover? http://www.jhpusa.com/catalog/...d=322

Or if there are ANY differences in a JDM bumper cover? I am trying to find out if I can use my current US spec cover or if I need the JDM market version. Also, is there any special hardware that I will need to purchase?

The couple of places that I contacted about buying one cannot tell me for sure if it will work with a US bumper cover.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to mount 96-00 CTR lower rear spoiler? (Salami)

should be self explanatory since its oem right, it should bolt right up u might have to go to ACE hardware and get your self some harware if it isnt provided, go out there and try it, im sure it isnt that hard!
Old 08-18-2006, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to mount 96-00 CTR lower rear spoiler? (NOjdmHERE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOjdmHERE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">should be self explanatory since its oem right, it should bolt right up u might have to go to ACE hardware and get your self some harware if it isnt provided, go out there and try it, im sure it isnt that hard! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, your response didn't help me in any way.

I am not asking whether it is hard to install, I am trying to find out what parts I need to get. Just because it is OEM doesn't mean I won't have to modify or hack up the current bumper cover to mount it. I trying to avoid something that in theory should be a 5 minute install and turn out to require a new bumper cover and searching for special hardware.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i used to have one on my ek and i installed it on my car no prob with extra hadware from the store, maybe you want thing to be EASY but hey if it takes a little extra effort then maybe you sholdnt get one, it might be toooo hard to install, its just a rear lip, you wont have to hack anything! and if it doesnt fit then thats what your reciept is for, right!

EDIT: and if you wanted a technical answer then you should have posted it here https://honda-tech.com/zeroforum/1
Old 08-19-2006, 05:45 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Let's try to provide the guy with some helpful answers instead of flaming.

He's probably posting here because some forum **** wouldn't let him post anywhere else.

I think I'll go ahead and move it to another forum in the hope that the guy might get a more intelligent answer.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:48 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: How to mount 96-00 CTR lower rear spoiler? (NOjdmHERE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOjdmHERE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">should be self explanatory since its oem right, it should bolt right up.... </TD></TR></TABLE>
It sounds like you're not sure at all. Are the USDM bumpers the same as the CTR ROW bumpers?

I think that's the kind of thing the guy needs to know.

Honda-Tech used to be <u>the</u> technical resource. Very disappointed at some of the stuff I'm seeing on here these days.

Dammit.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Salami &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can anyone tell me how this spoiler mounts to the bumper cover? http://www.jhpusa.com/catalog/...d=322

Or if there are ANY differences in a JDM bumper cover? I am trying to find out if I can use my current US spec cover or if I need the JDM market version. Also, is there any special hardware that I will need to purchase?

The couple of places that I contacted about buying one cannot tell me for sure if it will work with a US bumper cover. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The CTR Rear underspoiler can be mounted onto ANY 96-00 Civic Hatchback bumper covers, be it USDM, UKDM, JDM..etc.

This is how the CTR Rear Underspoiler looks like from underneath:

There are 6 tabs hidden inside the underspoiler to help hold it up and to keep it from flying off at high speeds and for a flush fit (this is the major difference between the knockoff and the OEM). If you receive a hardware kit it should come with 6 brackets and 6 matching screws to hold the lip into place along with 4 self-tapping screws and matching brackets for the ends of the lip.

Also, you might have to drill 6 holes into your rear bumper cover OR use strong, all weather, double sided tape (i recommend 3M). I'll be installing mine when I get it, if you have any more questions PM me otherwise look for my post. 8)
Old 08-19-2006, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How to mount 96-00 CTR lower rear spoiler? (George Knighton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by George Knighton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Honda-Tech used to be <u>the</u> technical resource. Very disappointed at some of the stuff I'm seeing on here these days.

Dammit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I hope it doesn't cause trouble if I use that quote for my new sig. 8)
Old 08-19-2006, 08:42 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: How to mount 96-00 CTR lower rear spoiler? (mRek9R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mRek9R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The CTR Rear underspoiler can be mounted onto ANY 96-00 Civic Hatchback bumper covers, be it USDM, UKDM, JDM..etc. </TD></TR></TABLE>

THank you very much for answering the guy's question.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mRek9R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The CTR Rear underspoiler can be mounted onto ANY 96-00 Civic Hatchback bumper covers, be it USDM, UKDM, JDM..etc.

This is how the CTR Rear Underspoiler looks like from underneath:
http://onfinite.com/libraries/610471/448.jpg

There are 6 tabs hidden inside the underspoiler to help hold it up and to keep it from flying off at high speeds and for a flush fit (this is the major difference between the knockoff and the OEM). If you receive a hardware kit it should come with 6 brackets and 6 matching screws to hold the lip into place along with 4 self-tapping screws and matching brackets for the ends of the lip.

Also, you might have to drill 6 holes into your rear bumper cover OR use strong, all weather, double sided tape (i recommend 3M). I'll be installing mine when I get it, if you have any more questions PM me otherwise look for my post. 8)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Awesome!! Thanks for the picture. Now I that I can see exactly how it mounts to the bumper cover. And now I remember seeing somewhere that the CTR bumper cover has the holes for the middle six screws.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:53 PM

yo, can you tell me if the knock offs look similar? you said the little connecting tabs are the major difference between them, but i'm wondering if the outside surface matches relatively similar. i've seen knock off front lips and they look hideous and can be ciphered from down the street.

as for the rear lips, it's hard for me to tell if people got authentic ones or fake, although i did see one on ebay that looked like trash. do you have any knowledge of the jdmshit.com ones? sorry for the run on questions and jacking this thread, but it would really help.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mRek9R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, you might have to drill 6 holes into your rear bumper cover OR use strong, all weather, double sided tape (i recommend 3M). I'll be installing mine when I get it, if you have any more questions PM me otherwise look for my post. 8)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Turned out to be a very quick install that Honda made even easier. Hardware is the same type used to mount a 99-00 Si front lip.

The mounting and getting perfect aligment of the lip is made easy thanks to Honda. The middle six holes for the lip are "blind" and seem like they would be a bitch to get in the correct place on the bumper cover. Turns out if the bumper cover is removed there six circles on the inside of the cover marking where the six holes need to be drilled. The circles have an X in them resemblng the crosshairs you would see on a rifle scope. There are indentations on the bumper cover where the four screws secure the ends.

No sagging spoiler like so many I have seen.