Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how many of you race your cars and use that same car as a daily driver ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how many of you race your cars and use that same car as a daily driver ?

how many of you race your cars and use that same car as a daily driver ... just want to know ?

-thanks-
Old 01-24-2007, 08:11 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This would be better suited in Track or GDD.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:13 PM

Default Re: (Eran)

o... ok

sorry
Old 01-24-2007, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (Eran)

Alot of people do when they know its safe or there work isnt that far from there house. Reason for this is that theres to much of a risk if something happens.

I drove my car daily and was at the track every thursday. Whats the point of the thread? What do you want to know?
Old 01-24-2007, 08:18 PM

Default Re: (Luserkid)

I autocross my DD. Just get a diff. set of tires and wheels so you dont eat up your street tires. That and be prepared to replace brakes and things along that line more often.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:19 PM

Default Re: (Luserkid)

beacuse i drive everywhere (alot of far distances) and i cant afford to many mecahinacal repairs if i race my car ...

would it be too risky to do that ?
Old 01-24-2007, 08:30 PM

Default Re: (HCJDM1)

define race. Autocross once and awhile will probably be ok. HPDE would probably not be a great idea, maybe once or twice a year, but be prepared for the worst, just in case.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wanna rollcage my ej8 but im not sure if it can pass inspection
Old 01-24-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Re: (sol2hatch)

quarter mile... maybe once a month .. i dont have much time would just like to race .

i drive form LA .. to santa cruz every week so yeah i would be able to "race to often"
Old 01-24-2007, 08:38 PM

Default Re: (raphael)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raphael &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wanna rollcage my ej8 but im not sure if it can pass inspection</TD></TR></TABLE>

dont put a roll cage in a street car.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HCJDM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">quarter mile... maybe once a month .. i dont have much time would just like to race .

i drive form LA .. to santa cruz every week so yeah i would be able to "race to often"</TD></TR></TABLE>

quarter mile is just to see how fast your car is. Doing it more than a few times just seems like a waste, unless you constantly are upgrading your car.

Autocross and HPDE, those are awesome. Test you as a driver and your car. Way more fun, and more time on the track.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont think the quarter mile is a waste of time if you enjoy it. besides you can always practice driving. its hard to put a high horsepower fwd car to the ground...especially on street tire.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:42 PM

ok .. thanks ...so i should be fine ? mechanically that is ?
Old 01-24-2007, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whats your set up? tuned? i used to dd my old set ups n=but with my new car i dont actually get a chance to drive it everywhere. just maybe i drive it 4 times a week including racing on the weekends
Old 01-24-2007, 08:55 PM

Default Re: (turbociviccoupe)

well i have D15Z6 ... with an air intake ... thats all.... i want to put new headers on it a better intake . and a turbo .
Old 01-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HCJDM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i have D15Z6 ... with an air intake ... thats all.... i want to put new headers on it a better intake . and a turbo .</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude tell me thats a joke...i hope you know you cant put headers,intake and a turbo.

you'd be fine with a stock single racing every weekend.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:13 PM

Default Re: (turbociviccoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HCJDM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i have D15Z6 ... with an air intake ... thats all.... i want to put new headers on it a better intake . and a turbo .</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry i ment or a turbo ...

so it is either a better intake and headers ... or a turbo .

Old 01-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HCJDM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

sorry i ment or a turbo ...

so it is either a better intake and headers ... or a turbo .

</TD></TR></TABLE>

First off you can't put more than one header on your car, it has one bank, one bank = one header, maximum headers for your car: 1.

Secondly, I believe you have a D16Z6, not a D15Z6, or maybe you have a D15 on a mini-me.

Thirdly,
Approximate HP gain on stock internals from a header on a D16 or 15Z6: &lt;10bhp
Approximate HP gain on stock internals from a turbo kit on a D16 or 15Z6: 100whp.

Approximate cost of a header: 50-250
Approximate cost of a budgeted turbo build: 1000-1500.

Weigh it.

Fourthly, judging by how you talk and the way you're asking this question - and WHAT you're asking - I'd say for any modifications other than adding windshield washer fluid, anti-freeze, oil, or fuel to your car you should consult a garage and ask them how their labor rates are and approximate installation time/cost.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:36 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

i know i can only put 1 and only 1 header on my car ... sorry i have a D16z6 ... and i have consulted a garage about doing the mods ...

so im guesing you think it would be better for me to put the turbo on ?

o yeah and thanks for your input ... you've heldp me out once before a while ago
Old 01-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HCJDM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know i can only put 1 and only 1 header on my car ... sorry i have a D16z6 ... and i have consulted a garage about doing the mods ...

so im guesing you think it would be better for me to put the turbo on ?

o yeah and thanks for your input ... you've heldp me out once before a while ago </TD></TR></TABLE>

Can't say I remember.

Anyways.

It depends on 3 variables in my opinion.

A) What is your budget?
B) Horsepower goals?
C) What do you have to work with tools/parts wise?
Old 01-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i autox my DD atleast once a month. gena be pushing her hard this year...all i can say is be prepared to break stuff. if u dont race as much as i do then its prolly not a big deal but atleast u'll be aware and ready.

and not everyone needs a turbo to go fast
Old 01-24-2007, 09:45 PM

A) buget now where it stands .. about $500 . but i havent been payed yet and im waiting on bills
B) about 200 - 225

C) have the tool to do it just dont have the knoledge .
Old 01-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HCJDM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A) buget now where it stands .. about $500 . but i havent been payed yet and im waiting on bills
B) about 200 - 225

C) have the tool to do it just dont have the knoledge .</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think it goes without saying that the phrase "knowledge is power" really applies here.

You'll have to read...and read...and read...and read..and if you don't understand something - ask. Once you know enough - it becomes a cake walk.

I'd stick with 200whp. Much over that and you're going to have to go to aftermarket internals (which of course changes the whole price tag and make the project simplicity go down by leaps and bounds). At 180-200whp you can keep your stock internals when it's tuned conservatively (say 12.3 or so). That's what I would do.

As far as parts go.

Save your money, then read and read and read about what you need to make it work. Then slowly start purchasing parts. See what the going rates are for turbos and such, decide if you want an external or internal wastegate, etc. Once you've decided on an actual turbo (or intercooler, or downpipe, or whatever part of the kit) see what the going rates for it are and then shop around - look for good deals, buy conservatively. It's called a budget build. You shop around right and you could be looking at a very nice turbo kit fully assembled for circum 1000 dollars.

Then comes the part that keeps your rods from exiting the engine via the sidewalls of the block. Tuning.

Dynometer tuning is obviously the most effective, though at costs ranging from 100-200 dollars / hour (most tuning shops charge 150/hr) tuning is expensive. Though on a stock D series it will only require 1-3 hours of tuning.

A lot of people have surpassed this by street tuning it. This takes more skill and more knowledge (and a wideband O2 sensor) and is obviously less accurate than a dyno tune - but it saves you from spending 150-450 dollars on a tune. Not to mention if you learn how to tune it yourself - you can always make adjustments later.

For now, just read up on sites such as http://www.homemadeturbo.com and http://www.turboD16.com and http://www.d-series.org and https://honda-tech.com and learn about turbo builds (watch the FI forum - watch what gets tossed around in there). Do that and save your money, then you'll be set come time.

I'd say that getting a shop to install it is kind of a waste since the only fabrication that's necessary is bolting up the intercooler. Once you've read enough you'll be ready to install it yourself - you'll know when. And of course if you have any questions along the way, post - don't be afraid to post, people post on some STUPID **** all the time so you'll probably have to try to make a stupid post.

Do it right, and you could be running 180-200whp (about 200-220bhp) daily and take it to the redline safely for $1500 - $2000.

If you get stuck anywhere just post on H-T or ask a forum member you trust.

I'm always open to help via PM or AIM IM (in profile).

to whichever way you choose.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:11 PM

alright man thanks for all the info ... this helps me alot. now i acctually know where to start .
Old 01-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HCJDM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright man thanks for all the info ... this helps me alot. now i acctually know where to start . </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, no prob.

Good luck.