Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how many people in H-T work in shops

Old 02-03-2004, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how many people in H-T work in shops

i am relatively new to H-T as a user atleast..i always browsed the site and got good use of the archives...i can't help wonder that a lot of you guys seem to know an immense amount of information regarding just about everything in hondas..do a lot of you work in repair shops?
Old 02-03-2004, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how many people in H-T work in shops (vtec181)

most of us just gain knowledge from being broke asses that can't afford to pay others to do the work for us, so we just buy a helms and do it on our own....at least thats how ive done it.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i help out a local preformance shop for ***** and giggles, work at Nissan as a tech for a couple years now i am taking ASE training courses to go to infinity. just working on cars helps out a lot.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:11 PM

Default Re: how many people in H-T work in shops (WAFFLES)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WAFFLES &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">most of us just gain knowledge from being broke asses that can't afford to pay others to do the work for us, so we just buy a helms and do it on our own....at least thats how ive done it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Amen to that.. i think half my car got put back together like that... you must admitt though it is time consuming.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:15 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have been in the business for 12 years. i am now at a lexus dealer, and at a local performance shop. i had my own for a year.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:15 PM

Default Re: how many people in H-T work in shops (1C9R9X3)

My garage is my shop
Old 02-03-2004, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i use to work at a shop like 3 years ago.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I've been working on or around cars since I was 14-15...

Had a couple years break from it though... worked in a resturants and an office for a while... but now I work at a junkyard... Definately think I'm gunna stay in the field regardless of how it makes my back and hands feel.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WAFFLES &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">most of us just gain knowledge from being broke asses that can't afford to pay others to do the work for us, so we just buy a helms and do it on our own....at least thats how ive done it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 02-04-2004, 01:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

AMEN on that one . . . . I second that
Old 02-04-2004, 01:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how many people in H-T work in shops (Vtec92Civic)

Used to work at a Honda dealer for 3 years, trained by Honda Canada, now working at a performance/service shop. Hands on is the best way to learn.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:41 AM
This user can set his title.

Try to help the uncle on the weekends in PA. He owns a shop.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:27 AM

Default Re: how many people in H-T work in shops (Ki3t)

Worked in a shop for 5 years. I still do work on the side and I buy/sell cars that need a little love.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how many people in H-T work in shops (yellow_jacket)

friend has a shop,restores Austin Healys (sp) done some side work etc.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:20 PM
Pooping on children

Default Re: how many people in H-T work in shops (GRAVEDIGGER)

just got a job as a tech at heritage honda in towson MD. W00T!
Old 02-04-2004, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i work in a shop..we restore and do custom work to anything your willing to pay for..right now im doing a ground up restoration on a 69 camaro Z28..we got a 65 mustang convertable that we put a 2001 cobra motor in..we shortned the rear end 2 inches and added all new tubular suspension arms all the way around with..18x9.5 bullit wheels in the rear and 17x8's in the front..we still gotta figure out how to use the new cable shifter and find a way to mount the master cylinder out of the new cobra in the old stang...once all that is done..we have to find a way to mount the radiator..and brakes..damn that car is alot of work..lol

i just prefer hondas over muscle cars because hondas dont need restoration and from what ive seen are alot more reliable and cheaper then any domestic car
Old 02-04-2004, 03:28 PM

Default Re: how many people in H-T work in shops (JV)

i've have been in a shop for almost 2 years now... watching reading and handon is the best.... hell i now do water pumps and timing belts on an SOHC in about an hour and 45 minutes which isnt to bad ... i also do swaps in my garage.. its amazing how much you learn hands on.. trail and error is thebest... helms helps to and for advice you can almost never go wrong on H-T.....

im about to apply to my local honda dealer ... im wondering all you honda dealer mechanics how is it?? is is a shitty place to work??? whats it like??
Old 02-04-2004, 03:29 PM

Default Re: how many people in H-T work in shops (JV)

I am going to school to hopefully become a tech.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what he said
Old 02-04-2004, 03:46 PM

Default Re: how many people in H-T work in shops (Grip Driver)

I work in an acura shop.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:07 PM

yea, hands on is the best way to go you really cant go wrong with a helms and a good set of tools. I have helped out around shops and **** but my daily grind is a A&P GSE Tech aka Aircraft Ground support engineeir. I work on planes and **** that deals with them
Old 02-04-2004, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My garage is my shop </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol mine too. I actually do a ton of work for local Honda owners. Going to school in the fall to be a Nissan techy once I graduate from HS.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GRAVEDIGGER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">friend has a shop,restores Austin Healys (sp) done some side work etc.</TD></TR></TABLE>
That's pretty cool. My first car I got into restoring (at 14 years old) was an MG Midget (similar to the AHs). Other than that, I've worked on my dads 69 Camaro (what a beast now, bored .020 over, solid lifters, cammed out, etc..) and worked on various other people's cars. I work on mine because I don't trust anyone else to do that good of a job and I don't want to pay anyone else to do it.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:56 PM

Default Re: how many people in H-T work in shops

well thats a lot you who have decent experience..since i live in nyc (apartment buildings) its almost impossible to go into my "garage" and work on my car..i would love to do so, but reality is that i am lucky to find a parking on my block..i can't wait to move the heck out of here into a house
Old 02-04-2004, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how many people in H-T work in shops (ekb18cCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekb18cCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im about to apply to my local honda dealer ... im wondering all you honda dealer mechanics how is it?? is is a shitty place to work??? whats it like??</TD></TR></TABLE>
Dealer work has its pros and cons. And it varies between dealer. Although Honda dealers/cars are one of the easier makes to work with. Japanese in general are pretty easy. But you should talk to some of the techs at the particular dealer and see how they like working there.

Basically, bigger shop=more opinions, more levels of management, more politics. Smaller independent shop=no big company behind you, on your own, have to know different makes of cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how many people in H-T work in shops