Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how many people can change thier own synchros?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how many people can change thier own synchros?

yea its about time for me to get some new synchros in my sirII tranny ...i was wondering if its a pretty simple common sense type of project or would i be better off paying someone else to do it?(i really dislike the idea of other people working on my car even if they are trusted friends)..i dislike it to the point i might just wanna buy a newer trans instead of paying someone to work on my car...is taking the tranny apart and replacing the synchros somthing i could do in a weekend even though it will be my first time tearing down a tranny?..if you have any input please share
Old 02-16-2004, 10:35 AM

id like to know this too.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:39 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: (NYCautosport.com)

I have torn down a tranny myself...and reshimming a mainshaft is something that I will NEVER DO...at least with a D tranny.

When you replace synchros, you have to tear the entire transmission down, and disassemble both the input shaft and the countershaft. It is a very complex and painstaking process. Get a helms manual and see how difficult it is. Have fun
Old 02-16-2004, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how many people can change thier own synchros? (Grip Driver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Grip Driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> how many people can change thier own synchros? </TD></TR></TABLE>

*raises hand*
Me

depends , how mechanicly inclined you are? have you ever dropped a transmission?
Old 02-16-2004, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how many people can change thier own synchros? (Dan GSR)

yes i have removed my tranny to do a flywheel and clutch..i know my way around my car very well...ill be building my head shortly..i know i can take the trans off and i can tear it down but is it extremly hard to put it back together the right working way?
Old 02-16-2004, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do you have a helms?
Old 02-16-2004, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont think so..i have all of the honda books that they sell at local autoparts stores....i dont think its a helms cause it dosent go into detail about anything

where can i get a helms and about how much do they go for?..also which one should i get since i have a jdm b16a sirII?..the delsols b16 or the civic si b16?
Old 02-16-2004, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you must get a helms in order to do the trans
putting it back together is not just slap it back together how u took it apart
there are a lot of little details you won't know unless u have the helms

http://www.helminc.com

$60-70 ish

not sure what your jdm engine is equivalent to
but either manual should work, for trans
Old 02-16-2004, 11:00 AM

http://www.helminc.com ~70 bucks

don't even attempt it without one. it outlines everything pretty nice in there, with exploded parts diagrams. with common sense, patience, all the tools, and that book you should be ok. read it over a couple times, and if you're uncomfortable just pay someone to do it.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Grip Driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont think so..i have all of the honda books that they sell at local autoparts stores....i dont think its a helms cause it dosent go into detail about anything

where can i get a helms and about how much do they go for?..also which one should i get since i have a jdm b16a sirII?..the delsols b16 or the civic si b16?</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.helminc.com

I'm frankly not sure which helms you'd get... I think a 99-00 si but I'm not sure.

As far as the tranny... It's all gears so it's not like you have to line anything up (ie timing marks etc)... I'm sure it's not a breeze at all but if you're mechanically inclined you should be able to do it. Make sure you do it in a good space though were you can keep everything labled and organized.

and I wouldn't even think about it w/o a helms for your tranny.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i've help changed the synchros in a new si (03). you need a hydraulic press for sure though if your ever gonna do it. just get a helms for backup. its kind of straight forward but time consuming.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how many people can change thier own synchros? (NonovUrbizniz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
it's not like you have to line anything up
</TD></TR></TABLE>

uhm try again
you do have to line up the syncro sleeves properly
it can mesh incorrectly, and will cause premature wear
Old 02-16-2004, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok well i have common sense..i have almost every tool you can think of and i have a huge 4 car garage with a top floor ...im gonna pick up a helms and see what im getting into..

now for the next question...once i see whats involved where can i get synchros? do i have to go to honda?..i know oem is best but is a synchro a part that is pretty much the same no matter where you get it?..like can i go to an autpparts store like napa and get refurbished ones or new aftermarket ones?(sorry if this sounds stupid but until i get the book i have no clue what a synchro is how it works or what they even look like)..i just know my tranny grinds goin into 3rd and alot of people tell me its the synchro.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

does it grind only in 3rd?
high rpm , shift , grind
or any rpm , shift grind
Old 02-16-2004, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it could be bent shift forks also, most people that don't know what they are talking about assume its the syncros because thats what someone else said, which they heard from someone else etc... 90% of the time its bent shift forks, which then wore down the syncros.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:13 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Grip Driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just know my tranny grinds goin into 3rd and alot of people tell me its the synchro.</TD></TR></TABLE>

are you sure? it's probably just your motor mounts. ask mista bone - the resident tranny guru - he'll tell you. he claims that honda syncros rarely ever go bad, and he is for sure a credible source.

if the motor mount bushings are worn, your engine / tranny will shake around like a bitch at high speeds. this shaking prevents the syncro from engaging properly. get some motor mount poly inserts, or window weld, or solid mounts from hasport: it should go away. if not it's possibly the 3-4 shift fork.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea it only grinds in 3rd at high rpm...going into 3rd at lower rpm (6500 and under) it dosent grind

all other gears feel perfect even at high rpm
Old 02-16-2004, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have energy suspension torque mount inserts and prothane motor mount inserts..last week i replaced the axels(this grinding was happening before the axels were replaced) i also used oem honda MTF...do u think the gm synchromesh friction modified MTF will do anything?
Old 02-16-2004, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

First off... I stand corrected on the not lining anything up thing... I was only thinking of the gears.

Secondly...

I'd certainly try GM synchromesh before I took my tranny apart...

I had NASTY grinding in my D16z6 and I did motor mount inserts (and ended up having a torn stock torque mount which I replaced w/ oem) and I changed to Redline MTF and it stopped grinding all together... it also was whurring like a bitch too.. I was SURE the tranny was shot... it got yanked out of a spot in first gear backwards when it got stolen... that usually ensures an early death to the tranny.

But I changed to Redline and the tranny works and sounds GREAT with over 177k mi. on it.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mine only grinds in 3rd though...it dosent whine at all..all of my mounts are fine..i guess ill have to try the gm synchromesh or redline mtf ..if those fail..im just gonna buy a jdm itr trans with lsd
Old 02-16-2004, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its really not that hard if you have good selection of tools and a helms
also helps to have a friend with you, extra set of hands to hold the main and counter shaft as you guide them into the case makes life easy
the 2-3 syncro will run you about $200

it does sound like your syncro is worn
you should be able to tell when its apart
Old 02-16-2004, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thanks..im gonna get the helms and check it out...im also gonna try the 2 diffrent mtf fluids and see what happens....if that fails looks like ill be buyin a synchro..or 5
Old 02-16-2004, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've replaced the 3rd, 4th, and 5th synchros on my car as per the service bulletin. Don't know if it applies to the SiR II transmission though. Like anything you're doing for the first time, it's best to pay attention to what you're doing and how things go apart. Some gears will fit both ways, but they're not meant to.

I use the Honda manuals, and i don't know how they compare to the Helms, but all the clearance checks are there. As for the synchros, the service bulletin on the EM1 called for new synchros so I don't know if Honda updated/improved the part.

It's not impossible. One mistake I made though, you have to line up the stopring on the countershaft to the notch inside the transmission case before you bolt it together. And torque everything to spec. Like i said, pay attention and good luck.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:09 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: how many people can change thier own synchros? (L8apex)

Tr going with GM fluid first, that should fix you.

Also, I barely see the synhcro rings go ot, but rather the synchro hub that wears out quick