Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how many grounding wires are you supposed to have and where are they?

Old 02-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how many grounding wires are you supposed to have and where are they?

kind of a stupid question, but important none-the-less. i tried searching/googling and have come up short.

thanks
Old 02-11-2008, 01:51 PM

my 95 civic has 2 i believe one on the tranny and one going to the head

really havent payed too much attention to it
Old 02-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how many grounding wires are you supposed to have and where are they? (d[sick]sTeena)

On most models, the fat ground wire from the battery is bolted to the engine/transmission. Then there is usually a secondary thinner wire from the valve cover to the chassis. You can add more, of course, if you want. The most important one is the battery to engine/trans, though.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: how many grounding wires are you supposed to have and where are they? (Perfectionist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Perfectionist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">On most models, the fat ground wire from the battery is bolted to the engine/transmission. Then there is usually a secondary thinner wire from the valve cover to the chassis. You can add more, of course, if you want. The most important one is the battery to engine/trans, though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The battery negative actually goes to the back of the strut tower.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how many grounding wires are you supposed to have and where are they? (suspendedHatch)

alright i got those 2 in position. i tried to start my car after doing a swap (d-series-d-series) and i noticed one of the wires wasnt connected. when i attached the batt. the grounds that were connected turned bright red and smoked. all my fuses are fin, but now my car wont start!!! after doing some diagnostic stuff my dizzy plug is not getting any power!!!
Old 02-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how many grounding wires are you supposed to have and where are they? (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The battery negative actually goes to the back of the strut tower.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, if you say so. There has to be a major junction from there to the block though. The starter draws a hell of a lot of current, and grounding through the block is a lot better than the through the chassis. Engine mounts don't conduct too well.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how many grounding wires are you supposed to have and where are they? (d[sick]sTeena)

Damn!! Do you have the battery connected backwards?
Old 02-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d[sick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sTeena]alright i got those 2 in position. i tried to start my car after doing a swap (d-series-d-series) and i noticed one of the wires wasnt connected. when i attached the batt. the grounds that were connected turned bright red and smoked. all my fuses are fin, but now my car wont start!!! after doing some diagnostic stuff my dizzy plug is not getting any power!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

OH no... that SUCKS man. Def fried some ****.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Perfectionist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, if you say so. There has to be a major junction from there to the block though. The starter draws a hell of a lot of current, and grounding through the block is a lot better than the through the chassis. Engine mounts don't conduct too well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The (black) ground wire goes directly from the battery to the chassis behind the strut tower as suspendedHatch stated. The engine has two ground wires, one from the tranny to the chassis and one from either the PS mount or the valve cover to the chassis.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You should have mentioned the glowing red ground wires to begin with. Your problem isn't with the grounds. You managed to somehow wire a major short cicuit. I suggest you start with the wiring to the starter motor. If the problem was xomewhere else, your wire harness would have lit up like a roman candle.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how many grounding wires are you supposed to have and where are they? (Perfectionist)

yeah it kind of did light up, but it didnt seem THAT bad. i dont see what the problem is with the starter, the starter is cranking but the motor is not turning and im not getting a spark, so im thinking something is wrong with the harness near the dizzy, any input?
Old 02-11-2008, 03:43 PM

check all under hood fuses. especially the batt and ign fuses. i once fried the ignition wires leading to my dizzy. i had to rebuild those wires and started up like a champ. then my coil went out later on but i replaced that and no prob. if you turn your key to the ON position, not start, see if your getting 12v on the positive coil wire that runs from the ign fuse(50a). if you are, you can isolate it from there
Old 02-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: how many grounding wires are you supposed to have and where are they? (RunninEg6)

the neg on the battery goes to the strut tower with a thick cable
tranny to chassis needs a decently thick cable
vc to chassis could be a little smaller
dont forget the tstat ground
Old 02-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d[sick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sTeena]yeah it kind of did light up, but it didnt seem THAT bad. i dont see what the problem is with the starter, the starter is cranking but the motor is not turning and im not getting a spark, so im thinking something is wrong with the harness near the dizzy, any input?</TD></TR></TABLE>

do you mean the motor is turning over but not firing? or the starter is making a noise without turning the motor over? sorry just a bit confused by your post
Old 02-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how many grounding wires are you supposed to have and where are they? (speedooo)

car started but now i have new issues, im gonna post another thread in a sec.

https://honda-tech.com/zeropost?cmd=fshow&id=1