Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How many cans of R-134a would I use in my A/C system?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many cans of R-134a would I use in my A/C system?

Hey guys,

All my freon was drained a while ago when I had my radiator replaced. There's nothing wrong with the A/C system, I just need to refill it. So I've got two questions for you:

1) R-134a is the correct coolant to use for a 2003 Civic right?
2) How many cans of R-134a should I buy?

Thanks
Old 07-29-2004, 10:37 AM
H-T White Ops

take it to a shop and have them do it.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IslandSi)

Why would I do that when I can just do it myself?
Old 07-29-2004, 10:58 AM
F*CK THIEVES!

Default Re: (battyx)

exactly...
Old 07-29-2004, 11:15 AM
Electrician

I filled with 2.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many cans of R-134a would I use in my A/C system? (battyx)

probably 2-3 cans and you should be fine..at a cheap car parts place i saw a can usally runs around 4 bucks each or so without the adapters tubes etc you need to refill.. The shop i go to charges 20 bucks to refill.. whatever floats your boat buddy.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:43 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: How many cans of R-134a would I use in my A/C system? (john666)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by john666 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">probably 2-3 cans and you should be fine..at a cheap car parts place i saw a can usally runs around 4 bucks each or so without the adapters tubes etc you need to refill.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

THIS is exactly why you should take it to a hop. Unless you know what you're doing with an AC system. People like this are the ones that are going to be posting "I charged my AC but it won't work now. HEEEELLLPPP!!!"
If your system is empty you're going to have ZERO pressure in there. No pressure means that air and moisture is in there. Let me say that again. if you have ZERO pressure you WILL have air and moisture in your system.
Air being a non-condensible will cause your pressures to run wacky and can air lock your condenser. Moisture WILL cause acis to form inside your system and will eat away at components like your compressor. It'll also make your oil's lubricating abilities go to ****. Again, causing component failure. Mainly the compressor.
If your system has been empty you'll need to change the filter/dryer out too. After you do that you'll have to pull a vacuum on it to get the air and moisture out for the above stated reasons. Oh, it's also a good idea to charge the system with nitrogen between the 3-4 vacuums you're going to need to pull. Vacuum, charge to 100psi with nitrogen, vacuum, nitrogen, vacuum, nitrogen, vacuum, THEN charge with a WEIGHTED charge of refrigerant and the proper amount of oil.
Anyway, I don't know what I'm talking about. Do it yourself. Do like the guy above me said. dump 3-4 pounds of refrigerant in there and be happy.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many cans of R-134a would I use in my A/C system? (IslandSi)

What's funny is that you're taking offense to the fact I didn't pay any attention to your advice. How about if you just said that in the first place instead of your 1 sentence reply? Maybe then I would understand why I should take it to the shop instead of doing it myself.

It's just easier to be completely vague, and then be a smartass later I guess.

Thanks for the info anyway.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:14 PM
H-T White Ops

It's just that I'm tired of having to explain the reason AC n00bs should take their cars to a shop. I think I'm actually going to make a copy of my above reply and keep it handy because I think I'm going to need it in the future.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How many cans of R-134a would I use in my A/C system? (IslandSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyway, I don't know what I'm talking about. Do it yourself. Do like the guy above me said. dump 3-4 pounds of refrigerant in there and be happy. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you do not want his advice, do this.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:21 PM

Default Re: (IslandSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's just that I'm tired of having to explain the reason AC n00bs should take their cars to a shop. I think I'm actually going to make a copy of my above reply and keep it handy because I think I'm going to need it in the future.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha what u said is ture. noobs just like it easy even though they are doing it the wrong way when u explain to them they don't like it. anyways fyi: you can put 2-3 cans you need to put the exact amount or it won't cool right. the only way to do it vaccum the system leak test etc might as well do everything.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:36 PM
H-T White Ops

I don't think you'll get 3 pounds in there. Pressures are going to equalize to what the cans have in them and you won't get any more in. Then you'll have ti run the system to charge into the low side. But since you're going to be running such high pressures on the high side it's going to trip the high pressure switch and make the compressor shut off.
Just some AC 101.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by battyx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys,

All my freon was drained a while ago when I had my radiator replaced. There's nothing wrong with the A/C system, I just need to refill it. So I've got two questions for you:

1) R-134a is the correct coolant to use for a 2003 Civic right?
2) How many cans of R-134a should I buy?

Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

I only used one can after putting a/c back in when i did myswap, but then again I had one of those gauges that said the amount of pressure in the a/c system. over filling the system will do more harm than good.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many cans of R-134a would I use in my A/C system? (powerBan.est1990)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by powerBan.est1990 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I only used one can after putting a/c back in when i did myswap, but then again I had one of those gauges that said the amount of pressure in the a/c system. over filling the system will do more harm than good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm, I bought the installer that doesn't have any guage at all. I'm debating just returning it and talking to a shop. Too many mixed signals from this question.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by battyx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hmm, I bought the installer that doesn't have any guage at all. I'm debating just returning it and talking to a shop. Too many mixed signals from this question.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honestly, NEVER install freon without a guage. Low pressure guage AT the LEAST. If you feel you want to fill it yourself, at least get a guage.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:30 PM

Default Re: How many cans of R-134a would I use in my A/C system? (turbogixxer)

you cant just fill it in.

Do u even know if any charge is in that system?? how much the system takes??
moisture in the system?

You cant guess. The proper way to do is to a recovery machine. recover everything vacuum system for 30min. put .2 ounce run the ac system add dye check for leaks etc. ohh yea 134a is cheap I was thinking r12.

the way most people do is the wrong way. Don't take this the wrong way I am just trying to explain the proper procedure. If you know a different way well more power to u

you can add it might work today might not work tomorrow 134a is cheap anyways.

just add it and on a VERY hot day use ur AC and if doesn't cool good you have a problem somewhere.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:02 PM

if you have to ask if 134 is correct then i wouldnt even bother trying with it.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:53 PM

Default Re: How many cans of R-134a would I use in my A/C system? (HTechBB)

lol lets hope i dont get fired i work with ac and havent taken the epa609
Old 07-29-2004, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, take it to a certified tech and have them do a vac and leak down test. Then, if you have the cans that come with the gauge telling you how much you can add, then add the refrigerant until its in the proper running zone. If you dont have a gauge to measure how much you have in the system there is really no point.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:25 PM

Default Re: How many cans of R-134a would I use in my A/C system? (HTechBB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HTechBB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have got the best reason of all as to why take it to a shop(one that has a licensed tech to perfrom a/c repair). A big *** $5,000.00 fine if you get caught. O yeah I don't think you can buy r134a or r12 without a r12 license, if you did get it then someone on the other side of that counter was a jackass not to check for your certification. I've worked next to and trained other honda techs that have done a/c work to a friends car without r12 certification and have gotten fired later on that week.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What in the world are you talking about. They sell the stuff at autozone and walmart. I don't think there are any problems with needing a liscense to buy it.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:21 AM

Default Re: How many cans of R-134a would I use in my A/C system? (hoggy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hoggy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What in the world are you talking about. They sell the stuff at autozone and walmart. I don't think there are any problems with needing a liscense to buy it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

EPA has a lot of rules for AC venting to the air especially R12 which damages Ozone according to them nearly everything we do destroys Ozone.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many cans of R-134a would I use in my A/C system? (hoggy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hoggy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What in the world are you talking about. They sell the stuff at autozone and walmart. I don't think there are any problems with needing a liscense to buy it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah. I just walked up and bought 3 cans from Pepboys.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:46 AM

i bought a box of 20 from pep boys...yes over the counter..idk if its dif in other states but NY doesnt give 2 ***** abt certification
Old 07-30-2004, 01:04 AM

Default Re: How many cans of R-134a would I use in my A/C system? (99CivicExCoupe)

Nope not in FL, you can buy as many cans of r134a as you want from Walmart, Autozone, Advance, Kmart, w/e.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:35 PM

Default Re: How many cans of R-134a would I use in my A/C system? (phobi9)

U can buy guns at walmart also but that dont make it legal to carry it around w/o a permit. Just like working with a/c a certification you should have (even though i dont)
im sure some states even arent suppose to let a car with R-12 with a leak in the system leave the shop w/o either fixing it or vacuming out the system

But i live in Indiana where emmision test arent know of if the car can drive drive it seems to be the law

Quick Reply: How many cans of R-134a would I use in my A/C system?