Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how to make a high revving d16z6?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to make a high revving d16z6?

ok so my car is pretty much stock besides all the easy boltons, i want to know what i should upgrade to safely be able to rev to around 9k. i use 9k as this website said that with some spoon cam gears(gear in my case) will allow you to rev to 9k safely, with the removal of the rev limiter of coarse. is that true? what else would i need? thanks!
Old 11-03-2002, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to make a high revving d16z6? (tek_civic)

#1 You need cams that make power up to 9k. Good luck doing that with a d16

#2 After finding appropriate cam you will need stiffer valve springs, and better retainers.

#3 In order for cams to make power up there on a D series head you will most likely need a good P&P job. Plus a better intake manifold, bigger TB, good header

#4 Oh, distributor may not work all that well up to 9k. Plus you will need some sort of reprogrammable ECU to tune your fuel curves with all the different mods. Something like Hondata. If you go with hondata you could also use some slightly larger injectors.

In other words, not worth it using a D series. Much better off going with a turbo kit.

I did look at your site. Good you installed your own mods.

[Modified by HXMan, 4:55 PM 11/3/2002]
Old 11-03-2002, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to make a high revving d16z6? (HXMan)

not worth it using a D series. Much better off going with a turbo kit
in what respects? what is he using it for? lots of people dont give the d any credit because theyve never worked with one for long.

and about revving to 9k, why do people have this conception that the higher u rev the more power u make?

if u r not making power at 9k whats the point?
Old 11-03-2002, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to make a high revving d16z6? (JaeOne3345)

Why would u want to rev a d16 to 9000 rpms
Old 11-03-2002, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to make a high revving d16z6? (turbocivic4)

Jesus man save your money, cause revving that high isnt going to do ****, and I doubt it is possible, just cause u buy and ecu that changes yout redline. doesnt mean you can rev that high either...

[Modified by ZappasOne, 12:42 AM 11/4/2002]
Old 11-03-2002, 03:46 PM

Default Re: how to make a high revving d16z6? (turbocivic4)

get a Gude cam

some guy on here got one for his D-series and
Old 11-03-2002, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#1 You need cams that make power up to 9k. Good luck doing that with a d16

#2 After finding appropriate cam you will need stiffer valve springs, and better retainers.

#3 In order for cams to make power up there on a D series head you will most likely need a good P&P job. Plus a better intake manifold, bigger TB, good header

#4 Oh, distributor may not work all that well up to 9k. Plus you will need some sort of reprogrammable ECU to tune your fuel curves with all the different mods. Something like Hondata. If you go with hondata you could also use some slightly larger injectors.

In other words, not worth it using a D series. Much better off going with a turbo kit.

I did look at your site. Good you installed your own mods.

[Modified by HXMan, 4:55 PM 11/3/2002]

You ran a 13.7 on a B16? Wow, impressive. We run high 13's on our D series motors here.
Old 11-03-2002, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was really just curious, i was really just wondering if what the site said was true, thats all. i know that once you hit the peak it's all downhill, but then again if noone has ever done it on a d16 how do you know whats going to happen? lol j/k and thanks HXMan i would rather prefer install my own mods but every now and then i get so damp frustrated that i wanna pay someone to do it(the testpipe), but it feels that much better when i do it. that damn cat replacement took me two weeks.
Old 11-03-2002, 06:13 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

first off, replace the test pipe with a high flow cat for the atmosphere. 2nd, The highest you'll want to rev on that engine if built, would be no higher than around 8200. My ZEX cam makes power up to 7800 when advance and tuned with air/fuel. Ideally, you want to shift after the peak, so the next gear is deeper in the powerband. And like everybody said, need upgraded internals and some head work AND head studs.
Old 11-03-2002, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to make a high revving d16z6? (sirk)

You ran a 13.7 on a B16? Wow, impressive. We run high 13's on our D series motors here. [/QUOTE]

want a cookie..its people like you i jus wanna take by the face and stick it up your own ***..in what way was HXMAN trying to brag about running 13.7 with his b16..how can you try and say something when you dont know the whole deal..just to inform you he ran the 13.7 on only 7lbs and shitty street tires with a 2.2 60ft..he had it tuned to 10lbs but never ran it that..if he did on some slicks he would have easily been in the 12's..and i dont think he was trying to say a D series motor is crap he was just stating some points that tek might want to think about..HXMAN knows his **** and wouldnt post some BS if he didnt know what he was talking about..WOW that felt good
Old 11-03-2002, 06:19 PM
Solbros Owns Me

In other words, not worth it using a D series.
Isn't he "bashing" the D series right there?? He's saying it's not worth building a D series. What homie said was that his "unworthy" D series engines are putting down the same times as the engine he thinks is "worthy". Nuff said
Old 11-03-2002, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to make a high revving d16z6? (Emerica)

i see your point bro but i jus think hes was trying to say not worth it unless you wanna spend $$..o i love you car BTW
Old 11-03-2002, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to make a high revving d16z6? (Emerica)

Hey Emerica. I love ALL honda engines, and any of them can be made to go plenty fast. But judging by this guys website(and the fact he thought he could rev higher with a cam gear) I would say his knowledge about hondas is pretty low. I wanted to help steer him in the right direction. It is easy to waste lots of money, and not get much out of it with our cars.

Also, I would say he doesn't have lots of funds either. Building an allmotor D series is definitly possible, but dollar for dollar he is either better off going turbo, or going with a b series engine. Nitrous could also be good for him.

And yea, I only ran a 13.7 with my b16. On 185/65 tires, 7 pounds, and a relativly heavy, full interior EK coupe. Give me 10psi which was dynoed at about 240whp, drag radials, and something besides a stock suspension it would have ran 12s. Plus, I only had the car at the track turbocharged once.
Old 11-03-2002, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and thanks HXMan i would rather prefer install my own mods but every now and then i get so damp frustrated that i wanna pay someone to do it(the testpipe), but it feels that much better when i do it.
I installed all my own stuff. Its the only way to learn!

Plus its cheap.
Old 11-03-2002, 06:58 PM

building a all motor car at this altetude sucks and way

But keep reading on hear and learn and you will be fine and hopfully not waste any money.

Old 11-04-2002, 01:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to make a high revving d16z6? (derrickcxhatch)

I feel my .02 is need here....

A GRS swap is around 3-4k. For that same price you can build a D16Z6 for turbo. A shop quoted me 3k to run up to 12psi. 4k to go from 12-20psi. Personnally I'd rather build my D16 for the turbo. Even if ya don't have the turbo right away, you're sitting around or over the horsepower of the Integra sitting next to you on the line......you'll win the race there.

And when turbo comes around, it's a little cheaper for an SOHC turbo, not much, but a little.

By then the Integra is just starting to build the motor to keep up with you.

[Modified by buster13, 2:53 AM 11/4/2002]
Old 11-08-2002, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to make a high revving d16z6? (buster13)

thanks for the advice, i was planning on going turbo and i was thinking the exact thing, make my engine pretty heavily built and run a lot of boost or have a stock engine put into my car that i will then need to do stuff to. i was just wondering what it takes to rev that high and not hurt anything. and yes turbo is definently the way to go up here(8000ft). thanks for all the input!
Old 11-08-2002, 11:09 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Hey Emerica. I love ALL honda engines, and any of them can be made to go plenty fast. But judging by this guys website(and the fact he thought he could rev higher with a cam gear) I would say his knowledge about hondas is pretty low. I wanted to help steer him in the right direction. It is easy to waste lots of money, and not get much out of it with our cars.

Also, I would say he doesn't have lots of funds either. Building an allmotor D series is definitly possible, but dollar for dollar he is either better off going turbo, or going with a b series engine. Nitrous could also be good for him.

And yea, I only ran a 13.7 with my b16. On 185/65 tires, 7 pounds, and a relativly heavy, full interior EK coupe. Give me 10psi which was dynoed at about 240whp, drag radials, and something besides a stock suspension it would have ran 12s. Plus, I only had the car at the track turbocharged once.
Dont worry, I know exactly what you're saying. For him, it would deffinately be better just to swap. He then has a good foundation to build off of. Nobody should be trying to build an engine with not much experience, especially a D series, although it's cheap, it can be hard to squeeze the power out of it. I wasn't coming against you or anything, just stating both sides of the argument. Dollar for dollar, building a D series will yeild same amount of ponies for less money. BUT, if you want more then what the D is capable of(cause carbing a car isn;t fun), then get a swap and you can slowly build from there. The D16Z6 is an excellent learning machine in my eyes.
Old 11-08-2002, 11:11 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: how to make a high revving d16z6? (STEALTHMODECOUPE)

i see your point bro but i jus think hes was trying to say not worth it unless you wanna spend $$..o i love you car BTW
True. Especially if you have no clue what you're getting yourself into.

Tek Civic:Cam gears are not going to help you safely rev your engine high. With everything, you NEED to research and learn. Read up and gain as much knowldge as possible, then you can go from there and learn the mechanical hands on type of knowledge