Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to make a 5th gen coupe have 3 wheel steering...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make a 5th gen coupe have 3 wheel steering...

Snap the head off a rear toe arm bolt. That's right, the one that goes into the subframe. What needs to be done to fix this?
Old 08-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to make a 5th gen coupe have 3 wheel steering... (JimmyAtlantis)

Umm...also known as the compensator arm. You know, the bolt. Anybody?
Old 08-03-2005, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: How to make a 5th gen coupe have 3 wheel steering... (JimmyAtlantis)

man oh man you fucked up..... how much is broken in there? Is there enough that if you get some pliers on it you could twist it out?
Old 08-03-2005, 02:33 PM

Seriously, you are F'd. that one sucks.

Cut the bolt just before it goes into the body so you can remove the rear compensator arm. (rear toe arm) In this process you will probably destroy the bushing, you need new bushings if you do. Prothane makes a rear compensator arm bushing kit for $50. Compensator arm bushings are not in the master kits. After the arm is out of the way, you can try to remove the rest of the bolt with a left handed drill bit and EZ-out. But unlike the name, it's not easy, and probably won't work. If the EZout works, you're done. Or if (more likely when) the EZ-out fails, you cut a hole in the body under the nut so that you can get in there and remove the nut. But that is a bitch too because this is a special nut that sits in a track so that it's adjustable for toe. After removing the nut, you can use a new nut with a new bolt, and use the hole you made to get a wrench on it. Don't even bother trying to get a new nut that is going to sit in the track properly, as you are going to destroy the track trying to get the old one out.

As I said, you are F'd. that one sucks.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to make a 5th gen coupe have 3 wheel steering... (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">man oh man you fucked up..... how much is broken in there? Is there enough that if you get some pliers on it you could twist it out? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't go pointing fingers where they don't belong. I didn't **** up. It's about flush with the backside of the arm.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drkarrow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Seriously, you are F'd. that one sucks.

Cut the bolt just before it goes into the body so you can remove the rear compensator arm. (rear toe arm) In this process you will probably destroy the bushing, you need new bushings if you do. Prothane makes a rear compensator arm bushing kit for $50. Compensator arm bushings are not in the master kits. After the arm is out of the way, you can try to remove the rest of the bolt with a left handed drill bit and EZ-out. But unlike the name, it's not easy, and probably won't work. If the EZout works, you're done. Or if (more likely when) the EZ-out fails, you cut a hole in the body under the nut so that you can get in there and remove the nut. But that is a bitch too because this is a special nut that sits in a track so that it's adjustable for toe. After removing the nut, you can use a new nut with a new bolt, and use the hole you made to get a wrench on it. Don't even bother trying to get a new nut that is going to sit in the track properly, as you are going to destroy the track trying to get the old one out.

As I said, you are F'd. that one sucks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is this how you fix your cars? You're talking just plain destruction
Old 08-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man, I'm going to bump this for you, because that sounds like a bitch, and I know you could use the help.

The only things I can think of would be to try and get the arm off of the end of the bolt, and get at it that way; or try an ez-out, but I'm pretty sure you won't be able to get a drill in there.

Good luck...

Old 08-04-2005, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to make a 5th gen coupe have 3 wheel steering... (AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Man, I'm going to bump this for you, because that sounds like a bitch, and I know you could use the help. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the bump. Bump again.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:37 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HAHAHA, same thing happened to me!! One sec.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:40 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

(I need to type this up in my email so it looks like I'm working)

Ok, what you need to do is actually quite simple. The bolt that you snapped runs through the compensator am, through the frame and threads into a loose nut. What you need to do is look right where the bolt goes and you will see what i'm talking about. The movable nut is kinda in it's own box thing. Well, take a dremel and cut the floor of that box. Don't make too big of a square cut, just enough to reach in wiht your pinky and slide the nut and broken bolt out from underneath. Then try and reuse that nut or get another one.

When mine snapped i was like WTF!?! I'm ******* screwed. No biggie really.

EDIT: If you need a pic I can get you one. Lemme know.

Modified by litterbox at 9:16 AM 8/4/2005
Old 08-04-2005, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to make a 5th gen coupe have 3 wheel steering... (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The bolt that you snapped runs through the compensator am, through the frame and threads into a loose nut. What you need to do is look right where the bolt goes and you will see what i'm talking about. The movable nut is kinda in it's own box thing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So inside that 'lump' / 'box' whatever, there is just a nut on the other side of that bolt? That's good to know... I thought that there would be something tack welded on the inside, or that it actually threaded into that subframe metal.

Old 08-04-2005, 05:00 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: How to make a 5th gen coupe have 3 wheel steering... (AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
So inside that 'lump' / 'box' whatever, there is just a nut on the other side of that bolt? That's good to know... I thought that there would be something tack welded on the inside, or that it actually threaded into that subframe metal.
</TD></TR></TABLE>Mine was freely movable. But now that I think about it, that doesn't make sense. If it was supposed to be movable, how would a tech tighten the bolt down after adjusting rear toe? He couldn't. I'm guessing, it's supposed to be tacked in there.

Since mine was movable, it made it alot easier for me to get it out. When I went to tighten the new bolt back in, I used a wrench to hold the nut in place (remember I cut that hole in the floor, the wrench went through that) and I just tightened it down.

EDIT: I just read drkarrow's original response. The nut sits in a track, that's why it's movable. Thanks for making me remember, lol.

Modified by litterbox at 12:40 PM 8/4/2005
Old 08-04-2005, 08:35 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JimmyAtlantis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Is this how you fix your cars? You're talking just plain destruction </TD></TR></TABLE>

Unfortunatly when bolts break, it's the only way.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to make a 5th gen coupe have 3 wheel steering... (drkarrow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drkarrow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Unfortunatly when bolts break, it's the only way.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not to the extent you're speaking of.

I appreciate all replies. I'm taking it to the garage that does all the work I don't want to do. I myself was thinking of cutting that "box", but I'd rather not if at all possible.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:42 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JimmyAtlantis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I appreciate all replies. I'm taking it to the garage that does all the work I don't want to do. I myself was thinking of cutting that "box", but I'd rather not if at all possible.</TD></TR></TABLE>Don't worry, it's fine.