Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to make a 2000 honda civic dx faster?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make a 2000 honda civic dx faster?

I know there are all kinds of things i can do to make it faster but i want to see what everyone else thinks and to see if i am missing anything. I know a civic d series engine is pretty basic and not the fastest thing but still i love my civic. i have already put in an AEM cold air intake, waiting for my 4-2-1 headers to be installed, and am planning to buy a hi flow catalytic converter and catback exhaust. besides dropping down money on an engine swap or turbo is there anything else I can do? some of my friends have suggested getting into the forums and talking. i dont know jack sh*t about ECU's and camshafts and all the other stuff. any ideas would be helpful, thanks

-CaM-
Old 01-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How to make a 2000 honda civic dx faster? (xkilacamx)

Bolt ons such as intake, header, exhaust, cat, etc. won't do jack **** for your motor.

Maybe a cumulative 10whp (if that).

Boost or stock, buddy.

The AEM V2 (one of AEM's most powerful intakes) made 12whp on a SS Cobalt...that's supercharged.

All motor 4 bangers don't make power on regular bolt-ons...SOHC do even less due to the low flowing nature of them.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:36 PM

if your lookin for an inexpensive way to build power i would do a head swap...lose the head you have now and put a d16y8 on it..and dont listen to that jack *** that said bolt ons dont help...they do!!! As for what bolt ons i would spend the money on...i would get an underdrive pulley, a FULL exhaust, aftermarket intake manifold and if you can find a good deal on one get an ex tranny...those dx gears are way to long for all motor
Old 01-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to make a 2000 honda civic dx faster? (timmywayne7)

Actually, D-Series engines react very poorly to bolt ons due to them only having one cam doing double the work. There is virtually nothing that one can do to a D-Series to make it fast while keeping it naturally aspirated. Boost or swap, theres how you make your car fast.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:46 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by timmywayne7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if your lookin for an inexpensive way to build power i would do a head swap...lose the head you have now and put a d16y8 on it..and dont listen to that jack *** that said bolt ons dont help...they do!!! As for what bolt ons i would spend the money on...i would get an underdrive pulley, a FULL exhaust, aftermarket intake manifold and if you can find a good deal on one get an ex tranny...those dx gears are way to long for all motor</TD></TR></TABLE>

with all the money spent on those boltons he could have a swap...

stock DOHC &gt; SOHC w/ boltons
Old 01-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by timmywayne7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if your lookin for an inexpensive way to build power i would do a head swap...lose the head you have now and put a d16y8 on it..and dont listen to that jack *** that said bolt ons dont help...they do!!! As for what bolt ons i would spend the money on...i would get an underdrive pulley, a FULL exhaust, aftermarket intake manifold and if you can find a good deal on one get an ex tranny...those dx gears are way to long for all motor</TD></TR></TABLE>

So, let's add this up...

Let's say you spent $200 on the AEM cold-air intake, $300 on a header, $100 for a high-flow cat, and $300 on a cat-back exhaust...that's $900 in parts alone (not including the labor to put them on) for hopefully 10 to the wheels and more noise?

As opposed to blowing that money on a N/A D-series, you could've been saving for A) a B-series swap (B18B, B16, B18C, etc.) or B) a turbo kit for your D-series...bolt-on's on a D-series are pretty much useless unless you're going ***** out with a fully built and tuned motor.

And more than likely Syndacate will add in to what I just said.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:48 PM

with all that money you could get a swap....i would only go with the b18b or the gsr....the b16 is pointless because they only have like what 5 more lbs or tourqe compared to a y8 and z6.....i have a z6 with bolt ons and i can keep up with an si with bolt ons......

the b18b is a pretty cheap swap these days, you could find one for 1,500 for the whole swap...
Old 01-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: How to make a 2000 honda civic dx faster? (ge_ej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ge_ej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...i have a z6 with bolt ons and i can keep up with an si with bolt ons...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 01-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your low on cash and want some kind of power. Get a B18B swap.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Man U FTW

a simple turbo setup would cost less than $1500 and allow you to make ~220whp on your stock D series. Boost is by far the best option for a low-dollar build

Check out the Forced Induction Forum for more answers
Old 01-08-2008, 05:06 PM

Default Re: (Schister66)

most power on a budget??

NOS FEST!!
Old 01-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Aludew5)

I have everything I need for my B18B swap for under $800

DOHC FTW!!!
Old 01-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Man U FTW

Default Re: (Aludew5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aludew5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">most power on a budget??

NOS FEST!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nitrous is a cheap and short-term solution to the problem...and not even a good solution at that. The price of the setup plus the cost of having to refill bottles time and time again will eventually add up and exceed the price of a decent turbo kit. IMO, do it right the first time and enjoy it
Old 01-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree because i had a 98 dx hatch one time.... pure stock with open headers... i was just doing a little cruzzin on us1 and ran this si hatch lost by 3 cars. either he can't drive with all that stickers on his car or my shiet was strong. on top of that i didnt had any bolt on. if i had headers, intake, exhaust, etc. then i'll spant his asssss.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to make a 2000 honda civic dx faster? (p1ayersclub)

my bad this response is to the guy on top hahah.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a simple turbo setup would cost less than $1500 and allow you to make ~220whp on your stock D series. Boost is by far the best option for a low-dollar build

Check out the Forced Induction Forum for more answers </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, what he said. Have you ever thought about boosting it?
Old 01-08-2008, 06:30 PM

ha you wanna know how to make one fast lol well i can tell you exactly what to do and trust me on this one because my friend did it and when we race it gets wild because i have an si and his is an ex so yeah, heres what you need to do
1.APEXi VAFC-2 Vtec, air fuel controller.
2.remove your emissions
3. get a AEM cold air intake
4.i know this sounds like it wont do nothing but it wil trust me cut your shifter down and you will get quicker shift points.
5.get a 2inch exhaust.

to remove the emissions and do the custom exhaust you will need the APEXi VAFC-2 Vtec, air fuel controller. because from what i know my friends car tried to stall without it because it didnt have enought back pressure.
if you do deiced to do what i have told you message me back and i will send you the calibrations that will run your car like a champ.

Look you can believe me or not its your choice but my friends dx will break tires lose when vtec hits and when he shifts but trust me it will be wickedly fast
Old 01-08-2008, 06:43 PM

Default Re: How to make a 2000 honda civic dx faster? (Honda_Racing941991)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda_Racing941991 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Look you can believe me or not its your choice but my friends dx will break tires lose when vtec hits and when he shifts but trust me it will be wickedly fast </TD></TR></TABLE>

my si with bolt ons will break the tires loose from launch to redline, to shift to redline too.... tires are crap, but they still spin.

im sorry i cant see a nearly stock sohc do that....
Old 01-09-2008, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda_Racing941991 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ha you wanna know how to make one fast lol well i can tell you exactly what to do and trust me on this one because my friend did it and when we race it gets wild because i have an si and his is an ex so yeah, heres what you need to do
2.remove your emissions
4.i know this sounds like it wont do nothing but it wil trust me cut your shifter down and you will get quicker shift points.
5.get a 2inch exhaust.
to remove the emissions and do the custom exhaust you will need the APEXi VAFC-2 Vtec, air fuel controller. because from what i know my friends car tried to stall without it because it didnt have enought back pressure.
if you do deiced to do what i have told you message me back and i will send you the calibrations that will run your car like a champ.

Look you can believe me or not its your choice but my friends dx will break tires lose when vtec hits and when he shifts but trust me it will be wickedly fast </TD></TR></TABLE>

1. The VAFC-2 is pretty much a waste of money...you could get a chipped ECU for a fraction of that.
2. Removing your emissions (I'm assuming you mean catalytic converter) will do VERY little...we're talking 1-2 horsepower.
3. Why would you waste money buying an AEM cold-air intake? Either buy a cheap eBay one with a better filter or make one.
4. Why 2"?

To the OP, seriously...unless you're planning on boosting your D-series, don't even mess with it. The bolt-on's you're using aren't even pissing in the wind...it's like aiming and pissing directly on yourself instead.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:47 AM
3lo

Default Re: How to make a 2000 honda civic dx faster? (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bolt ons such as intake, header, exhaust, cat, etc. won't do jack **** for your motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>
this guy knows his stuff
Old 01-09-2008, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

motor swap!! at least for a d16y8 in it...for the vtec.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to make a 2000 honda civic dx faster? (3lo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 3lo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
this guy knows his stuff</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2
Old 01-09-2008, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to make a 2000 honda civic dx faster? (3lo)

x2
Old 01-09-2008, 06:03 AM
GO GIANTS!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda_Racing941991 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ha you wanna know how to make one fast lol well i can tell you exactly what to do and trust me on this one because my friend did it and when we race it gets wild because i have an si and his is an ex so yeah, heres what you need to do
2.remove your emissions
5.get a 2inch exhaust.

BAN
Old 01-09-2008, 06:05 AM

The one thing that I saw that is simple and cheap and will do alot for how fast it is and feels is putting in an EX tranny. That would actually be worthwhile for you since you have a DX tranny with long gears.

Past that. Bolt-ons won't do anything for you like most said. Look into piecing together a turbo kit like Schister66 suggested. It's the only way to go for a SOHC.

Quick Reply: How to make a 2000 honda civic dx faster?