Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How low is Low?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How low is Low?

97 Civic. Coilovers. Just installed full camber kit adjustable arms in front and back.

Before i take it in to get an alignment i'm trying to decide how low is too low.

It has 16's with 205x45 tires. Pretty thick actually. Used ot have 40's. But wanted a little more air between me and the road.

Anyway. I have it as low as it can go right now pretty much. Before it starts to rub. Anyone know any tricks on how to check to see if it is street safe? How to make sure nothing will rub when turning or hitting minor bumps? I had my old car so low, that i bottomed out on the freeway quite often.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How low is Low? (PerfectXtreme)

Just drive the car around on the streets and see how you like the ride. I just installed my Tein SS coilovers. Adjusted it by eye as I installed them. It's been 2 days of driving and tommorrow when I change the brakes/rotors I will be raising the rear a hair and possibly lowering the front a hair.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have 1996 HX Coupe... Lowered on H&R race springs and KYB AGX shocks...

2.75"F
2.3" R

I have the same size wheels and tires, I only rub sometimes when I'm making a U turn, not everytime though, so I think anything lower than this would rub often...

I never bottom out.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How low is Low? (EVIL Hx Coupe)

It depends on where you live and where you go. I have a 2" drop and I can get around Dallas okay, but when I go to Austin I just go to my friends place and leave it parked.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How low is Low? (jolt-tsp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jolt-tsp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It depends on where you live and where you go. I have a 2" drop and I can get around Dallas okay, but when I go to Austin I just go to my friends place and leave it parked. </TD></TR></TABLE>

this is why i switched to itr springs, roads around me are terrible.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:39 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: How low is Low? (sohc_boy)

i prefer a 1 finger gap between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fender...a lot of my friends like no gap between the top of the tire and fender...too low is having &gt; 1" of tire tucked in the fenderwell
Old 08-28-2003, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have my car on 15s and there tucking looks good.. rides like **** tough!!!
Old 08-28-2003, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How low is Low? (Koticcivic4u)

I used to have my car dumped 3.5" After awhile I realized how shitty the ride was. Even with Yellows and GC, it was just too low. I raised it back up to around 1 finger gap in the front, maybe a tad more, and around 2 finger gap in the back. Rides and handles better now.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:00 AM

Default Re: How low is Low? (96 SOHC VTEC)

I have about 1 finger in front. And about 2 in back. Back is harder to adjust since the coil is lower and stuck behind the wheel when i jack up the rear end.

My main worry is my fender well covers. I was goin 120 (before my B20 and i was governed). And hit a small bump. Ripped my plastic liner completely out. Left it in middle of road. Bent the clips under the wheel well too. I have 1 left, which happens to be new because of a small accident my car had a while back.

I did notice a HUGE ride change when i lowered the car after installing my camber arms. But i can deal with that. I'm just worried about it being so low that it rubs or hits while just doing normal driving. I can understand hitting a huge bump, or trying to get up on a curb, it might rub a little. Nothing I can do with that.

Also, i can't tuck any of my tire in the wheel well. I'm doing this to fix camber. And only way to have tire up under there with stock fenders. is to have it cambered. Can't aford new set of 600 dollar tires every few months.

Was just wonderin if anyone had any "things" to check for when seeing how low it was. If any part of the suspension might be hitting or rubbing. If the tire might be rubbing inside somewhere. Really hard to check though. Considering I have yet to find a jack which i can even get under the car without having 2 friends pulling up on the fenders. Stock jack for honda works great. But takes years to use.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:31 AM
Motorhead

It's too low when you start losin' oil...
Old 08-29-2003, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PerfectXtreme &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I Really hard to check though. Considering I have yet to find a jack which i can even get under the car without having 2 friends pulling up on the fenders. Stock jack for honda works great. But takes years to use.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Jack up on the tow hooks in the front and tow hook in the back with a big ol' floor jack. And then just get jackstands under the jack points. Thats how I do mine, the scissor jack only fits if I have someone lift the fender.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:10 AM

for sure..if the frame of the car is lower than the axle s..if a tire blow s ur going to be skimming the hiway on the fram of ur car...this is why the CHP pull s over so many slam d car s
Old 08-29-2003, 12:24 PM

LoL. The stock jack works no matter what so far. It is only like 2 inches tall all the way lowered...

However. I can't even get jack under the front of the car.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:04 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PerfectXtreme &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LoL. The stock jack works no matter what so far. It is only like 2 inches tall all the way lowered...

However. I can't even get jack under the front of the car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Have someone lift up by the fender or bumper. Usually I put the stock scissor jack on the front side jackpoint and jack it up just enough to get the hydro jack under the front.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How low is Low? (acuracing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by acuracing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Have someone lift up by the fender or bumper. Usually I put the stock scissor jack on the front side jackpoint and jack it up just enough to get the hydro jack under the front.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ditto...i do the same, either that or i run over some bricks or blocks.

And your too low when any body part or chassis is lower then the lip of your wheel. Thats when you are too low, i know cause thats how i am, and when i get a flat, i drag some stuff. It has happened twice already, but i love being low.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How low is Low? (SjCiViCHB)

im 2.5 f 2.25 r on neuspeed race springs and tok blues on 15 inch wheels and i already fear for my oil pan, have you ever took a look how close it is to the ground!!?? esp now that i lost that trim under the car that covers teh oil pan
Old 08-29-2003, 03:45 PM
B.
400 HP Club

Default Re: How low is Low? (dash0n)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=600613