Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How long do stock springs last? Ride height for an EG hatch w/ or w/o modded susp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 05:23 AM
JJW
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long do stock springs last? Ride height for an EG hatch w/ or w/o modded susp?

FYI, the car is a '94 VX and has 171k miles on it and I'm the 2nd owner...sort of. I bought it from a small used car dealer and the carfax listed the car as being registered only twice. Once when new and once to the dealer I bought it from.

Handling is 'normal' for a stock Civic, I suppose, and there is no bounce in the car like a bad set of struts/shocks would cause but the car sits really low. I have the stock wheels/tires on it and as far as I know the suspension is stock.

So I'd like to put an aftermarket suspension on the car but I can't imagine the car being any lower than it is. I'd have to roll out of the car onto the ground and stand up once outside

If you have an EG hatch, what suspension setup do you have and what is your ground clearance? Say from the jack point to the ground...or however this is supposed to be measured.

Any info is appreciated!

Thanks,
Jim
Old 11-24-2003, 07:42 AM

Default Re: How long do stock springs last? Ride height for an EG hatch w/ or w/o modded susp? (JJW)

i have an EG hatch CX. the stock height wasn't low at all.
i put in a set of tokico struts and tom motor sports coilovers and its sitting pretty nice.. its not the best setup but it was what i could afford when i bought them. (it was right after i did my motor swap)

your best bet would be to probably get a set of coilovers so you can adjust them to the height that u want
Old 11-24-2003, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How long do stock springs last? Ride height for an EG hatch w/ or w/o modded susp? (JJW)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JJW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So I'd like to put an aftermarket suspension on the car but I can't imagine the car being any lower than it is. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Doesn't sound like stock suspension to me. What kinf of finger gaps do you have from the top of the tire to the fender? With stock suspension on an Eg I had 4 finger gaps. It's HUGE like 3 1/2 - 4+ inches. Maybe the springs are cut or were heated to lower / compress them down? Have you looked at the suspension? Can you post pics?

Stock springs wouldn't sag. I'm guessing the motor and everything else would go before the springs would. Unless the car has carried a lot of weight over the years.....

Pics would really help
Old 11-25-2003, 08:35 AM
JJW
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How long do stock springs last? Ride height for an EG hatch w/ or w/o modded susp? (Hybrid93Hat

Good question. I do have a good four-fingers between the fender and the tire.

Uh, I could email you some pics...not sure how to post pics here...
Old 11-25-2003, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How long do stock springs last? Ride height for an EG hatch w/ or w/o modded susp? (Hybrid93Hat

stock springs last FOR-EV-ERRRRR
Old 11-25-2003, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

stock shocks WITH aftermarket springs last about 1 year.

stock shocks with STOCK springs last for ****** ever
Old 11-25-2003, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my mothers '92 eg civic had almost 500 000kms on it when she unloaded it, 2 weeks ago. The back was a bit low due to the extra 100-200 lbs she carried in the trunk all the time, but the shocks were original and it still worked great. Now her ek hatch has a lower rear end, looks good actually.

I did a b18c swap in my eg, leaving stock suspension for now. The front gap sits at around 2" with the back end closer to 3", with 195/50/r15s. also the front left sits a bit lower than the right, thanks to the engine. Coilovers are in order here.

d
Old 11-25-2003, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JJW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good question. I do have a good four-fingers between the fender and the tire.

Uh, I could email you some pics...not sure how to post pics here...</TD></TR></TABLE>

FOUR fingers??!!!!.......i don't think mine was even that high at stock.....and i thought mine looked like a monster truck!!!

yours sounds pretty stock to me!!!
Old 11-25-2003, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm not understanding how there is 4 finger gap between tire and fender but it's "low"...

How so???

My 93 ex has 170k mi. on the stock springs and shocks... it drives like a dream...

I get asked what kind of suspension I have regularly...

I'd suggest getting a ES master kit and Mugen RTA bushings... my rear end was at least 1-2 inches lower from having torn bushings in the rear... The shock mount bushings make the biggest dif. in ride height...
Old 11-26-2003, 04:42 AM
JJW
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the replies. I'm convinced that my springs are stock.

I should've mentioned that I have del Sol seats in the car which sit a little lower than stock seats (and GSR seats) and contribute to the 'low feeling'.

When I replace the springs and struts, its gonna feel like I'm sitting on the ground!

*Edit*
Here are some pics...sorry, its Ofoto so you have to join to see the pics but I've got a whole spread taken when I bought the car:
http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePho...der=0

Jim
Old 11-26-2003, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i saw the pics............**** i could fit my head in between the tires and the fender...lol

sweeeeeeeettt!!!!
Old 11-26-2003, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

yeah that looks pretty normal...

Here's mine... this was when it had spun shock mount bushings in the rear so it sat a little lower than it does now....

Old 11-26-2003, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

93 Si with stock suspension. About 120k miles on it.

10 year old springs/struts are fine on the street... autocross not so much. ROLL! http://pics.spoon.org/Cars/Sla...8.jpg
Old 12-09-2003, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (AcidGord)

I had a giant wheel gap on both of my vx's when I got them.

Here's some pics with H&R sports and kyb agx's.

I post measurements from the jack points when I get home tonight.

Old 01-11-2004, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dwnthehatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dwnthehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

one month later, and you're still not home yet?
Old 12-27-2018, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (dwnthehatch)

Originally Posted by daver
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dwnthehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

one month later, and you're still not home yet?
15 years later, still not home yet.