Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How long to do a B-series swap into 94CX?

Old 03-20-2007, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long to do a B-series swap into 94CX?

I have a quick question. Me and my friend were going to attempt a b-series swap into my 94cx (probably either a b20 or b18b at this point). How long would it take us if we have never done more on a car than change the oil? Both of us are good at wiring, so that wouldn't be a problem, but for the inexperience swapper, would it be possible within 24 hours? We would have a full shop (his dad has multiple older pickup projects, and is a manager for columbia helicopters, so he has a full shop at their house). Any chance we could do it? Or would it be safer to take it to someone who knows what they are doing?
Old 03-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How long to do a B-series swap into 94CX? (Nongan)

Have someone who's knows what their doing supervise you
Old 03-20-2007, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nongan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a quick question. Me and my friend were going to attempt a b-series swap into my 94cx (probably either a b20 or b18b at this point). How long would it take us if we have never done more on a car than change the oil? Both of us are good at wiring, so that wouldn't be a problem, but for the inexperience swapper, would it be possible within 24 hours? We would have a full shop (his dad has multiple older pickup projects, and is a manager for columbia helicopters, so he has a full shop at their house). Any chance we could do it? Or would it be safer to take it to someone who knows what they are doing?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I believe that it could be done within 24 hours easy. But print out various guides on here and you should not have a problem. Theres nothing wrong with starting your first swap and getting some experience. But make sure you do alot of research on here first,and learn alittle bit more than you do right now
Old 03-20-2007, 06:22 PM

Default Re: How long to do a B-series swap into 94CX? (sicones)

i was actually thinking about this. if i can find someone who is willing to help me, i could do this without worrying. maybe i can find someone at the NW H-T meet in a couple of weeks......
Old 03-20-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Re: How long to do a B-series swap into 94CX? (Boostedb20EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostedb20EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I believe that it could be done within 24 hours easy. But print out various guides on here and you should not have a problem. Theres nothing wrong with starting your first swap and getting some experience. But make sure you do alot of research on here first,and learn alittle bit more than you do right now </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, i don't think i should have too much of a problem with it, my only concerns is that i HAVE to have it running within 24 hours. if something goes wrong, i'm SOL.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:24 PM
New User

24 should be faily easy for someone with good knowledge and provided you don't run into major show stoppers i.e. rusted bolts!

Be sure you know all the steps before raising that hood!
Old 03-20-2007, 06:26 PM

Default Re: How long to do a B-series swap into 94CX? (charjacq)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by charjacq &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">24 should be faily easy for someone with good knowledge and provided you don't run into major show stoppers i.e. rusted bolts!

Be sure you know all the steps before raising that hood!</TD></TR></TABLE>

i've been researching all i can. i'll be printing out probably 50+pages worth of info asap. and i'm not worried about the cars condition......i'm the second owner of it, its only got 124k miles, and its been babied its entire life. its in great condition
Old 03-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hm..well if it NEEDS to be done in 24 hours..then read MORE haha. Make sure you read up on common problems too. Make sure you know the exact steps to this before doing then if your in short time. Theres no replacement for first hand experience though, which you lack. Just make it up with knowledge you learn from reading here. And soon you will have first hand experience
Old 03-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My first time took me a weekend, but I ran into problems with the PS swap (why i wrote a FAQ...)
My second time, it took me less than 6hrs, by myself.

Biggest tip for you, if youre pulling/replacing from the top w/ a hoist, is remove the radiator, condenser, header.
If from below (much, much easier if you have some little rollers and a tall jack and stands) just remove the intake manifold.

If I were to swap again, I feel I could do the whole thing, axles and all, within 4hrs or so.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:40 PM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

hmmm......well, i'm not hooking up power steering, so thats no problem there. i *should* have a hoist, but i'm not positive if my friend's dad has one. he prolly does though, i donno how else he'd be getting 4+litre 6/8 cylinder engines into his trucks w/o one. does anyone have a link to a good writeup with picks? i bookmarked a couple write ups on here, but i'm looking for a good one for wiring/hoses, and one with info about how to replace mounts.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

Anyone have a good write up for this guy for a complete swap?
Old 03-20-2007, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boostedb20EH2)

Found one for a b18c1. Will be similar.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=856396
Old 03-20-2007, 06:47 PM

awesome. bookmarked. i'll read that through and see if it helps some
Old 03-20-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Re: (Nongan)

alright, read that through.......couple questions if people don't mind answering. it looks like i should be able to use my stock cx harness for a non-vtec b18, no? and if so, it should all just plug in. so wiring isn't that big of a deal, if its all still connected to the motor, i should just be able to drop the motor in, and plug it into my harness, and thats it wiring wise?
Old 03-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

year of said b18/b20?
Old 03-20-2007, 07:02 PM

not a clue. i'm gonna try and find an obd1 motor, just to make it easier, but if its a 92-93, i'll need a hydro tranny.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes definately make it straight-forward for your first swap. Obd1
Old 03-20-2007, 07:15 PM

i need to do this also... where are u gettin ure motor from?
Old 03-20-2007, 07:17 PM

Default Re: (allricedout)

not quite sure. i'm going to try to find a lowish mileage one local for cheap, but if i cant, i guess junkyard/hmotors is the best choice.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe password jdm has b20 longblocks for under 550.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:25 PM

is the b20 a harder swap? or do you just need to replace the IM for it to fit? of course, you'd need a diff b-series tranny, mounts, axles, and engine harness, shift linkage. does the longblock come with hoses/wiring or do i need to buy a kit for it seperate. sorry for some of the noob questions, i'm just trying to figure this thing out....
Old 03-20-2007, 07:28 PM

i know there really is a lot to go into doing a swap... im problaly just going to order all the parts one by one until i finnaly have everything
Old 03-20-2007, 07:28 PM

I personally think that if you do a good amount of research, you can pull this off no problem. My first swap ever, I pulled the motor from an integra, set it aside, the pulled the motor from my Del Sol, set that aside, and then put the B18 in the Del Sol. The whole thing took me a little less then 2 days. I also fabbed new rad brackets, put the integra steering rach in the del sol, put the integra rear discs and sway bar on the del sol, and modded the exhaust to fit correctly.

My second swap was a B20vtec swap. By myself with no lift, only crappy walmart jacks, It took me about 8 hours including wiring for vtec ect. Its not as hard as it seems, it just seems like an extremely daunting task.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Re: (93eg2james)

the scariest thing for me, is probably figuring out wiring, getting the engine to mount correctly, and hooking up all the hoses correctly. i don't think i'm ready.......yet. i need to keep reading and figuring some of this stuff out, so that when i do go to swap it, i'm completely confident in my ability to do it.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nongan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is the b20 a harder swap? or do you just need to replace the IM for it to fit? of course, you'd need a diff b-series tranny, mounts, axles, and engine harness, shift linkage. does the longblock come with hoses/wiring or do i need to buy a kit for it seperate. sorry for some of the noob questions, i'm just trying to figure this thing out....</TD></TR></TABLE>
No its not any harder. You can use any b series intake manifold and opt for a gsr tranny. Im not sure if it comes with all of the hoses but im going to go for no.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How long to do a B-series swap into 94CX?