Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to Keep the Wires Connected to the Horn While Turning w/ an Aftermarket Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 01:58 PM
Streets closed Pizzagate boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Keep the Wires Connected to the Horn While Turning w/ an Aftermarket Wheel

I've got my horn wired up correctly, but i can't keep the wires connected if i turn the wheel lock to lock.. How did all of you go about fixing this? I've been at it for the past hour and cant figure out how to keep the damn wires connected.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:02 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: How to Keep the Wires Connected to the Horn While Turning w/ an Aftermarket Wheel (The Dza)

That doesn't make any sense. If you wired up the horn properly, turning the wheel would have no effect on the connection. How did you wire it up?
Old 07-13-2006, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How to Keep the Wires Connected to the Horn While Turning w/ an Aftermarket Wheel (The Dza)

hope this will help:
http://importnut.net/civicsteeringswap.htm
Old 07-13-2006, 02:13 PM

Default Re: How to Keep the Wires Connected to the Horn While Turning w/ an Aftermarket Wheel (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That doesn't make any sense. If you wired up the horn properly, turning the wheel would have no effect on the connection. How did you wire it up?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it does make sense. The male plug coming from the buttons on my wheel connects to the horn wire. Now when i turn the wheel it doesnt have enough "slack" to stay connected. Maybe if i take some pics you'll understand.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:15 PM

Default Re: How to Keep the Wires Connected to the Horn While Turning w/ an Aftermarket Wheel (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hope this will help:
http://importnut.net/civicsteeringswap.htm</TD></TR></TABLE>

I used that but how doesnt his wires come loose when turning the wheel. That is what mine looks like now, and when i turn the wheel the wires pull apart.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:19 PM
be professional

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Dza &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now when i turn the wheel it doesnt have enough "slack" to stay connected.</TD></TR></TABLE>
It shouldn't need any slack, because it is supposed to be attached to the hub adapter which turns with the wheel. Nothing should be pulling on the horn wires.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

noobs
Old 07-13-2006, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is what he is using to keep the wires stationary and at the same time makes the contact for the horn, so the wire never move nor is there slack on the wires. read the whole thing, he breaks it down step by step.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:31 PM

Default Re: (TougeSiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TougeSiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">noobs</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you know how to help me, please do, but if you're going to post *****, do it in another thread. i dont have time for 8th grade name calling.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:45 PM

Default Re: How to Keep the Wires Connected to the Horn While Turning w/ an Aftermarket Wheel (Targa250R)

up
Old 07-13-2006, 03:05 PM
grammer nawzi

Why don't you just extend the wire? Seems like that would take about, oh, I don't know, less time than bumping this thread. Just a thought.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:08 PM
be professional

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Dza &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">up</TD></TR></TABLE>
You're going to need to post a diagram or pictures or something, because I have no idea what is wrong. Installing an aftermarket steering wheel is an incredibly simple task.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:23 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You're going to need to post a diagram or pictures or something, because I have no idea what is wrong. Installing an aftermarket steering wheel is an incredibly simple task.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know it's easy and the reason i did it wrong was my own dumbass fault. I re-read what that guy said and realized that the metal piece is the contact for the hot wire, and that the wire inside the hub touches that so there is no need for the wires to spin.

Now, the reason i couldnt solve this problem was there was a wire missing from MY tekniq hub. I'm working on fixing this as we speak.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:54 PM

Problem solved for the most part. I just cant figure out what keeps grounding when i push on the wheel itself causing the horn to sound...
Old 07-18-2006, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Dza &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Problem solved for the most part. I just cant figure out what keeps grounding when i push on the wheel itself causing the horn to sound...</TD></TR></TABLE>

So basically you cut the wire from the stock harness! Extended it into your Momo hub and spliced it to the positive side of the actual horn button on your aftermarket steering wheel. Correct?

Now when you go to insert the center section (horn button) back into the wheel its honks. Correct?

Well first off by running it like you have, you left a open circuit. When that line is either A spliced or B Attached to that positive side of the horn, the entire steering wheel is a ground. So you have a live connection touching a ground, causing the horn to sound. Now if this is a sparco wheel and the horn button has a secure bar on the top (to hold it in place) than that's what's touching the back of the steering wheel and sounding the horn.

Go back and re-read this thread and it breaks it down on how to do it the right way and avoid all these issues. http://importnut.net/civicsteeringswap.htm