Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Single metallic clink from left front when taking off or slowing down (solved)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single metallic clink from left front when taking off or slowing down (solved)

2000 SI that I bought 2 months ago. Clicks once when I pull away from a stop and again once when I downshift abruptly. Sounds like it's coming from the driver's side. No other noises. No clacking when making a u-turn.

Does this sound like a CV joint? Is replacing the entire axle the right fix? And lastly are the Advance Auto $70 axles any good?
Old 09-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Single metallic clink from left front when taking off or slowing down

You say Clink on your title but the you saying it click and afterward clack on your body statement? If its a clicking noise when you making a left or right turn then usually it would be your CV joint are getting worn out due to low or leaking grease out of the boot(s). I have hear it and not hear it when you do a U-Turn, but the joint are bad.
But from your discription it doesn't sound like an axle problem, more like w shift linkage or so. What my suggestion is, jack up the front of your can and slide the jack stand under it and if possible have someone drive the car and shift into gear and step on the brake and go into gear again just like you would drive it when you hear it and get under the car and look/listen for the sound.
There is a chance that you might not hear or see anything with the position of the car being jacked up from the front so if you have another spare set of jack stand, jack up the back of the car and do the same. Good Luck.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Single metallic clink from left front when taking off or slowing down

The clink sound isn't related to turning the wheels. A straight ahead takeoff will cause it if I give it much gas. If I'm really easy on the gas it doesn't do it. Same slowing down. If I make a gentle downshift there's no sound but if I let the clutch out fast in a low gear it will make the single clink sound.

If this was a rear wheel drive vehicle I would be positive the sound was a drive shaft u-joint so I think that's what's happening. I've heard a similar sound in my Corvette that turned out to be the splines through the wheel bearing carrier.

It probably doesn't make much difference whether it's splines or CV issues since both would be cleared up during a half shaft replacement but I'd hate to go through the work and still have a problem if it was really coming from something else altogether.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update - I think this is fixed after lubing the outer splines. I cut the boot band on the inside CV joint and pulle back the boot expecting to find the grease dried out and caked but it was perfect.

I removed the axle nut and pushed the axle in about 1/2" then filled the empty space with grease and put the nut back on, which pulled the axle back out and sort of forced the grease into the splines. I haven't heard the noise in over a week. So far no contamination of the brake disc by the grease.

That's the second time lubing axle splines has paid off. It totally fixed a popping sound on my Corvette rear wheel. The Corvette guys say the axles are "fretting". Anyway it might be worth a look on your Honda before assuming CV joint failure.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

CHECK YOUR WHEEL NUTS.......
I had a clicking noise for about 2 weeks on front left corner and then it started vibrating and then i got out and found only 2 wheel nuts holding the wheel on and one of them was only finger tight.

my wheel was buckled and was slowly vibrating the nuts off it ended up shearing one of the bolts of the hub, if i wouldn't have checked it could have been serious damage.

NO i did not mis-tighten my wheels nuts they were rays titanium nuts which were the wrong fitment all together fitted by the last owner.

here a picture to show what happened. it made the holes in my wheel elipsical aswell.

its a long shot but may as well check it mate. it did start out as a simply clicking when pulling away and coming to a stop. like 3 metres before i stopped.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for reminding me but I've had the wheel off several times and done up the nuts myself so I knew that wasn't it. Always worth checking though.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no worries mate thought it'd be a long shot anyway.
lol i actually now carry a tourque wrench in my car and constatly touque them at least twice a week to see if they are still tight.
i know its paranoia but i have to do it now i was so close to that wheel coming off it scared me.
hope you find the problem buddy.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dale_K
I removed the axle nut and pushed the axle in about 1/2" then filled the empty space with grease and put the nut back on, which pulled the axle back out and sort of forced the grease into the splines. I haven't heard the noise in over a week. So far no contamination of the brake disc by the grease.
Im having the same problem. A single clunking noise. I can sort of feel it on my feet on the drivers side. I cant always get mine to repeat but it seems to only when going from reverse to forward. Its seems like something has a little play in it and once its settled into place its doesn't make the noise any more. For example: if i would always drive forward it wouldn't make the noise more than once. Im gonna give this a try and see if it helps.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Single metallic clink from left front when taking off or slowing down (solved)

That's exactly how mine responded. Once it clinked going forward it wouldn't do it again until there was a new clink from slowing down. I learned about the spline lube trick on a different car and thought I'd try it before spending the money and time to do the whole axle.

On mine the first time I pulled off after greasing the splines I still heard a clink but by the time the drive was over I couldn't hear it and it's been quiet ever since. Hope it works for you.