Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

sooo i blew up my eh9's automatic. does anyone know any tricks that i dont?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 08:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sooo i blew up my eh9's automatic. does anyone know any tricks that i dont?

When I blew up my v6 accord's automatic it wasn't drivable. Between changing the fluid, changing the filter, adding a cooler, and replacing the two pressure switches it now drives but it slips once in a while or on long trips.

now onto my civic, an EH9 all original, d16z6 4speed automatic. It slips with wide throttle.

Red is for the trans fluid I will drain and fill

i dont think i can replace the filter without taking the trans out, aint doing that

blue is for letting the car chill until Monday when I can get fluid

gonna throw half a quart of Lucas Stop-slip in because its never let me down before

what other tricks or tips does the forum have?
Old 07-19-2014, 08:24 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: sooo i blew up my eh9's automatic. does anyone know any tricks that i dont?

The base answer is.... replace the transmission.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:34 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: sooo i blew up my eh9's automatic. does anyone know any tricks that i dont?

Yeah I know, but I'm hoping to stretch the life out of this one.

there's gotta be tricks I can do like I figured out with my accord, I'm searching as we speak but I'm not coming up with anything.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Here's your lesson for the day kids: dont launch an automatic car 10 times in a row
Old 07-19-2014, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Start prepping for the auto tranny rebuild DIY you owe us.

Lot's of videos and some pics.

And do it right. Otherwise..........well use your imagination.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:51 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I was thinking about that but first I need to price check the specialty tools. And the level 10 rebuild kit, I wanna give their stuff a shot I was thinking about rebuilding my J30a4 trans with their hardware.. I think the 5speed swap would be better, but my girlfriend drives the car and she's totally against manual transmissions

Last edited by shotoutacc0rd; 07-19-2014 at 08:52 PM. Reason: realized i was discriminationing womens
Old 07-19-2014, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Honda autos are so bad...

Lesson for the day: learn stick.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Dude I hate automatics and automated manuals with a passion but my gf likes the car and she doesn't like stick shift so idk what ima do here. I might just force her to drive a stick shift vehicle, like everyone should.

why have 4 clutches when you only need one? Why have something 10x more complicated, and twice as fragile, for the sake of convenience? Are we that lazy?

back to the point, what's the tricks I'm missing? I know that there's something, I doubt the clutches are in too bad of shape but I wont know until I drain the fluid
Old 07-20-2014, 03:10 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There is no trick.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:29 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

You bought the car with an automatic? Hypocritic. And the accord wasn't yours? Super lame.
Advice : go get those performance clutch packs you are talking about for the rebuild. There are no tricks.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:35 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
There is no trick.
are you guys sure? There has got to be things I can do to help it work better again short of cracking it open

"adjust a cable properly...but few EVER listen to me.

just figured i would add this, this guy is as respected as anyone in this thread.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shotoutacc0rd
are you guys sure? There has got to be things I can do to help it work better again short of cracking it open
Please don't come here looking for smoke and mirror-type fixes.

Do 3 ATF drain-refill cycles and check the cable adjustment. If you get no joy, scout for a replacement transmission or DIY repair the one you have.

Now get to work and stop making silly posts.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:41 AM
The Grumpiest

If you believe that then you must also believe in the fountain of youth too because that's about the same thing. Your transmission is falling apart/failing. I thought you were going to rebuild it like you said in another post?
Old 07-20-2014, 09:16 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I said I might, Ron wants me to and I just printed out the trans repair section and put it in a file next to "Civic EG engine".

I have a list of specialty tools that I'm trying to procure.

I'm not looking for smoke and mirrors, I guess in a way I am, I'm just looking to be able to use my second car again so I'm not suck between a shitty accord that slips and a black civic coupe without ac and a shift **** that wiggles like a **** and always wants to go into second no matter how many times I tell it 4th
Old 07-20-2014, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Follow instructions in post #12. Then and only then report back.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

easy fix

tell the GF that an auto costs $2000 to rebuild or replace and a manual is like $300-500. I know you can get auto trans from ebay for like $100 but she dont know that

oh yea, from what i have have heard about a cheap quick fix that people have done is to put sawdust in the trans. not sure on exactly how much but I do know the trans wont last over 1k or so miles tho. Mostly heard of used car dealers and craiglist types doing this. I would not recommend doing that myself, would be much better to just buy a used trans for like $250
Old 07-20-2014, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Now get to work and stop making silly posts.
YES. Please.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Norlael
easy fix

tell the GF that an auto costs $2000 to rebuild or replace and a manual is like $300-500. I know you can get auto trans from ebay for like $100 but she dont know that

oh yea, from what i have have heard about a cheap quick fix that people have done is to put sawdust in the trans. not sure on exactly how much but I do know the trans wont last over 1k or so miles tho. Mostly heard of used car dealers and craiglist types doing this. I would not recommend doing that myself, would be much better to just buy a used trans for like $250

Right, get the internal filter clogged to **** and make it worst than it already is, okay. There is a reason why I didn't suggest this method. Rebuilding it is.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andoxviii
Honda autos are so bad...

Lesson for the day: learn stick.
Priceless
Old 07-20-2014, 01:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Dude I hate automatics and automated manuals with a passion but my gf likes the car and she doesn't like stick shift so idk what ima do here. I might just force her to drive a stick shift vehicle, like everyone should.

why have 4 clutches when you only need one? Why have something 10x more complicated, and twice as fragile, for the sake of convenience? Are we that lazy?

back to the point, what's the tricks I'm missing? I know that there's something, I doubt the clutches are in too bad of shape but I wont know until I drain the fluid
Don't replace the transmission, replace the girlfriend. Sounds like it would be much cheaper in the long run.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

That sawdust idea sounds terrible. Maybe if it was completely inoperable and nothing else worked it could be worth a try to squeeze a few more miles from it, but IV always read that the ONLY thing that belongs in a trans is what the trans was designed for or stuff that is designed for that trans. Sawdust doesn't fulfill those requirements whatsoever.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:58 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Norlael
easy fix

This is true. Unscrupulous used car salesman have done this for decades. It will get you by and when it fails, you will be forced to make a choice; automatic, manual, or new love of your life.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:01 PM
The Grumpiest

That sawdust idea sounds terrible.
Sounds right up your alley.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Sounds right up your alley.
very funny
Old 07-21-2014, 06:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/fa...33bea.jpg.html

http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/fa...c63aa.jpg.html

the trans fluid is black and the drain plug was coated with medal shavings and gunk.
I'm hoping it suddenly fixes itself and I never have to worry about this again

Quick Reply: sooo i blew up my eh9's automatic. does anyone know any tricks that i dont?