Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HOW-TO: Installing a fuel pump cut-off switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HOW-TO: Installing a fuel pump cut-off switch (j.fuggi)

thanks for the writeup
Old 06-12-2003, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be looking forward to future write ups; about ignition and starter kills.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW-TO: Installing a fuel pump cut-off switch (NonovUrbizniz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've posted this before and it's was originally posted by "pdiggitydog" on another site but... THIS is the BOMB.

It arms itself... it CANNOT be wired around... ie you cant hotwire it at any point in the loop.

AND you need a magnet to make it work...

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0059

I'm gunna do this one as soon as I get some extra cash.</TD></TR></TABLE>

how do you figure you cant wire around that?
Old 06-12-2003, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: HOW-TO: Installing a fuel pump cut-off switch (B18EG6)

well obviously you can wire a direct power to whatever...

but the point of the thing is that if you try to cut it apart or wire around any of the components it won't work because the relay is tripped by the magnet on start up and then closes again...

Thieves find startkill stuff and try to wire around IT not run a direct power to whatever IT cuts off... that's IF they can even figure out what is disabled by the switch.

**edit... well you CAN wire around the relay as long as you keep it close to the system it cuts out like the aritcle recomends. **edit.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW-TO: Installing a fuel pump cut-off switch (NonovUrbizniz)

Little bump for the evening folk. I also just finished a crappy little page for installing and slightly modifying a gauge cluster into our Civics. Nothing important, but I'm sure somebody somewhere can use it. That also can be found under the Tech section of my homepage.

I working on finishing up my folding mirror HOW-TO and should be done by tomorrow.

If anyone has more suggestions for a Tech section let me know, I would like to compile a bunch of helpful info in one place.

Time for
Old 06-12-2003, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW-TO: Installing a fuel pump cut-off switch (Milano_EH3)

its a nice deterent but too easy to figure out for a good thief. When I park at a mall or theater I take the injector power block cap, that should keep the would be theif busy trying to figure it out.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:03 PM

great post from a fellow atlantan!!!
Old 06-12-2003, 08:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: HOW-TO: Installing a fuel pump cut-off switch (Jswpstdoff)

This is awesome!!! One Question...it was mentioned that the wires run along the door sill. Which side of the car are they on, and are there any other wires that could mistake for the fuel pump wires? Thanks in advance. I am trying to plan this whole thing in my head for this weekend.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW-TO: Installing a fuel pump cut-off switch (Dengar)

My bad, I thought I said which side it runs along, I'll fix that later. The wires run along the driver's side door sill. Just look for the Yellow wire with the Green stripe.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i did this switch instead... its got a toggle override incase ur main switch breaks, or for valet mode, or whatever... and the main switch which is momentary.. so i wont ever forgot to turn it on or off...

it uses a relay, toggle switch (valet mode?whatever) and momentary switch, so it disables the fuel pump by itself.. (wont ever forget to disable fuel pump)
Old 06-13-2003, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Milano_EH3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Tech section of my homepage.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Great write-up

Which door sill does the grn/yell wire run by (passengers or drivers)?
I don't have back seats in my hatch so I'll need to splice in under the carpet somewhere

fuel cut-off switch sticker --&gt; I was talking to my dad about the fuel cut-off switch and he brought up the idea. He asked if there are small "fuel cut-off switches installed" stickers that can be placed on the glass of the window of the vehicle. Something like the Viper alarm stickers but this one would state the fuel cut off statement above or something similar. He was saying this way a thief would probably not even worry about breaking in the car and going for the steering column. But, I was thinking they'd probably come back with a tow truck What do you guys think about the idea. How long would it take to cut the green/yellow wire at the gas tank, crimp a new wire, and run it to wherever the green/yellow wire goes (bypass the switches)? Do you think the sticker would be enough for a thief to say "f**k it" and move to the next vehicle? Just an idea my father had

Please no bashing, this is just an idea my father had

Modified by Hybrid93Hatch at 9:01 AM 6/13/2003

Modified by Hybrid93Hatch at 9:02 AM 6/13/2003
Old 06-13-2003, 08:38 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: HOW-TO: Installing a fuel pump cut-off switch (Hybrid93Hatch)

if you have that sticker and they really want you car. the first thing they would do would be to find and over ride the fuel pump kill. with it in place they willl try to jump your car etc with no avail and then have to look for any killswitches etc. the fact that they don't know it is there could add a good amount of time to them trying to get your car and could be the difference between you finding and stopping them or them driving away with your car. a good idea, but to a good theif it is just an indicator of where he has to start first
Old 06-13-2003, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW-TO: Installing a fuel pump cut-off switch (Dengar)

I dont think the sticker is a good idea, most theives that steal these car now and days are determined to get them because the parts are so popular. Just putting a sticker in your windshield would give the theif a clue on where to start, all they have to do is runa wire from the fusebox to the pump and all switches are rendered useless. You will need more than this to keep your car safe.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:00 AM

i put my switch in the door pocket for convienience so i woulnt forget as this is the last place they would look for a kill switch. i used some spare wires that were in the mutiplug but u could use old speaker wires if u have run better ones or relocated them as i had. dont use it any longer tho now ive got my avantguard. i use the switch for my neons now so i can whack em off quick when i see the babylon.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (UK CIVIC B16A2)

Okay, I fixed the page. The fuel pump wires run along the driver's side door sill.

I know there are other ways to do a cut-off switch. But, this is by far the easiest way. And coupled with multiple switches, and maybe starter kills it's enough to **** thieves off and deter them.

Keep in mind that this is no substitute for a good alarm, if you are really worried about your car getting stolen. Also, if a thief REALLY wants your car and is smart enough, he/she will get it. Now matter what kind of deterrents you have on there.

I am, however, going to give that immobilizer that uses a Reed switch a try. I didn't know about that.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good post
Old 06-13-2003, 12:41 PM

Default Re: HOW-TO: Installing a fuel pump cut-off switch (silverEH2)

Saw the Jeffreyshawn.com link on your site. Haven't heard that name since back in the day man. Anyways, anyone know what color the wire is in an EK? I have just been pulling the fuse and unclipping my injectors everynight until I do something more advanced.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:01 AM

Anyone know if the wire is the same color in a 96-00 civic?
Old 06-27-2003, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW-TO: Installing a fuel pump cut-off switch (VTECDC2)

I've been thinking about this mod too and was wondering what the advantages are of using a relay over just wiring a switch directly into the power line. Which one would be easier to disarm and which one would be more reliable?
Old 06-27-2003, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW-TO: Installing a fuel pump cut-off switch (Witty)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Witty &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone know if the wire is the same color in a 96-00 civic?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Should be. But double check a Haynes (cheap) or Helms (expensive), that's what I did.
Old 06-27-2003, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW-TO: Installing a fuel pump cut-off switch (riversideguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by riversideguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've been thinking about this mod too and was wondering what the advantages are of using a relay over just wiring a switch directly into the power line. Which one would be easier to disarm and which one would be more reliable?</TD></TR></TABLE>

What source would you use to close the circuit with a relay or would you still have a switch in line?

Either one can be routed around if the thief has the brains and the patience. And this is true of almost ANY security measure. The benefit to using a relay with another power source to close the circuit is that you could have to pump wired up to say, the parking lights. So, you would have to know to turn on the lights to get power to the pump. However you would have to leave the lights on otherwise power would stop going to the pump. Therefore you would have to find a constant power supply when the car in on (keep in mind I was just using that as an example). The reason I used a switch is because, hands down, it is the EASIEST way to do a "cut-off" security measure, you just have to hide it well.

In retrospect I should have done my HOW-TO using the wires that run along the door sill, as that is probably more secure.

I will repeat, this is by no means a substitute for all security measures. This is to be used with other devices to frustrate the thief into just leaving your car alone. And maybe giving you those precious extra moments to catch the ****** in the act.
Old 06-27-2003, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW-TO: Installing a fuel pump cut-off switch (krazySOHC)

thanks for the site
Old 06-28-2003, 07:01 AM

has anyone ever tried to put an inline valve in the steel fuel line? that would be impossible to wire around but also easy to find if the thief knew where ur fuel line ran.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW-TO: Installing a fuel pump cut-off switch (sshaikh01)