Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HOW to install LCA with TIE BAR on an EM1

Old 09-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW to install LCA with TIE BAR on an EM1

hello i have a 2000 em1 and im planning to buy a blox lca and a benen tie bar. would these two parts be compatible with eachother or would i need extra parts? also if someone can please give me a step by step of how to install the two. thanks much
Old 09-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: HOW to install LCA with TIE BAR on an EM1

the lca's go inside the subframe and the tie bar goes outside...theyre compatible
Old 09-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Instead of buying the Blox LCAs, just send the money to me. Then go back to using your OEM LCAs or some off an Integra or some decent aftermarket ones.
BLOX MAKES HORRIBLE LCAs!!! THE BUSHINGS GO AFTER A COUPLE MONTHS REGARDLESS OF IF YOU CLOCK THEM OR NOT!!!! DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

o really? what are some good brands for LCAs
Old 09-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

skunk2, function 7, and a few others, oem is best.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
+1. And skip the benen tie bar and get an ASR subframe brace. Then later get a swaybar or your choice to go with it. I run a 22mm CTR bar and its nice and oversteery.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Function 7 builds the best lower control arms. They are better than the oem parts.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very strait forward install...Install the Lca's as you took off the old ones...The Tie bar goes inbetween the 2 using the coresponding bolts....Use alot of Pb blast cause the bolts that hold the strut, lowercontrol arm and hub assembly usually are a pain to remove...many have broken bolts off trying to remove.....Also Put what you want to put on the car....Have had blox Lca's on 2 other cars and no problems as long as there installed right....

Good Luck...
Old 09-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

... or a Function7 subframe brace.

EK's are available now...check with your regular retailers in about 7-10 days for the EG/DC version (above).

-A

Last edited by Function7; 09-17-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep your OEM LCA's and spend that money on something that will make a difference other than look "cute".
Old 09-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe Blox LCAs went downhill in quality because I installed mine right. I clocked the bushings by supporting the car on jack stands and jacking up the rear end until it lifted the car and then tightened the bolts connecting the LCAs. I looked up the torque specs and actually torqued the bolts. No other suspension parts have been an issue doing this...

And nice to see F7 is making a subframe brace. A little competition is definitely needed.
Just an idea, machining a slot for the swaybar bushings to recess into the brace or supplying or offering bushings that would fit nicely instead of universal fit ones would be nice.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Master Detailer

Function7--- what are those runing??

i have only heard of 1 time where the blox bushings failed quicly, and they werent installed correctly.
agreed that function7 is great!

OP JUST MAKE SURE YOU PUT ANTI SEIZE ON THOSE BOLTS!!
Old 09-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On mine the inner part of the bushings for the shocks were forced downwards. The rubber didn't tear, it's like it was too soft. I contacted Blox and they deny ANY and ALL issues with their LCAs and pretty much called me a liar to my face. So now, I do my part to educate people about their crappy product.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thumper64
On mine the inner part of the bushings for the shocks were forced downwards. The rubber didn't tear, it's like it was too soft. I contacted Blox and they deny ANY and ALL issues with their LCAs and pretty much called me a liar to my face. So now, I do my part to educate people about their crappy product.
And we appreciate it!
Old 09-18-2009, 01:17 AM
Master Detailer

thats wired,that is the first time i heard that... even with out hearing that, i most likely would still never buy anything from blox... besides there costumer service sucks, the parts arent that high of qualitly.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Function7--- what are those running??
Still finalizing the pricing while the first production batch is being run right now. Expect pricing to be around that of our EK brace ($250-$270ish street price).

-A
Old 09-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just an idea, machining a slot for the swaybar bushings to recess into the brace or supplying or offering bushings that would fit nicely instead of universal fit ones would be nice.
+1

I have a comptech brace and I hate the fact that I need universal brackets and bushings. I would love to use the ITR brackets and bushings because greasing every 6 months SUCKS!
Old 09-18-2009, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Gang Member!
Old 09-18-2009, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And nice to see F7 is making a subframe brace. A little competition is definitely needed.
The brace is the final product of 4+ years of R&D, and around 8-9 prototypes. We actually made an extensive design study of which direction to go and we ended up going with the universal bushing path for several reasons.

1. It would enable ANY swaybar combo to be used with our brace - there are multiple mounting holes on our brace to accomodate different bushing/bracket sizes from different manufacturers. If you choose our brackets, they are made by Energy Suspension and come with grease nipples as standard (for us).

2. Strength - when installed, our brace applies a pre-loading force to the subframe to add to the rigidity. Machining metal away from the critical areas around the sway bar brackets caused stress risers that messed up the type of pre-loading that we wanted.

3. Cost - we did have a few prototypes with fully machined brackets - and because this added to the cost of the product it would have made us uncompetitive. Doing it the current way gave us the option of offering upgraded machined billet brackets (which in actual fact do not improve performance significantly to justify the cost).

4. Weight - you'll notice our braces are machined to the bare minimum physical dimensions - this was to maximize weight savings wherever possible.

-A

Last edited by Function7; 09-18-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

At least being compatible with OEM brackets would be awesome, as I would think the brace should be? The bushing situation sounds awesome as it is though.

Let's say someone didn't care about a couple pounds of extra weight. Could there be an option of basically a half finished piece without the little triangles cut in it? With the theft rate of Hondas, I am a little **** about keeping things looking bland and not drawing attention. I'm probably in the vast minority, but it's something maybe you could take a poll on and see if it's worth considering.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Let's say someone didn't care about a couple pounds of extra weight. Could there be an option of basically a half finished piece without the little triangles cut in it? With the theft rate of Hondas, I am a little **** about keeping things looking bland and not drawing attention. I'm probably in the vast minority, but it's something maybe you could take a poll on and see if it's worth considering.
Actually, we do offer teflon-coated versions of all our products and those are flat black. It looks completely stealth.

-A
Old 09-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, that works I suppose.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Function7
Actually, we do offer teflon-coated versions of all our products and those are flat black. It looks completely stealth.

-A
Can't wait for the product to be released. Planning to going LCAs and sway bars, seeing that subframe brace interests me.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D3vin
Can't wait for the product to be released. Planning to going LCAs and sway bars, seeing that subframe brace interests me.
We're making the first full-production run of the EG braces right now and they will be available in about a week.

-A
Old 09-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Master Detailer

hurry up lol i have been wanting them form a long time now....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HOW to install LCA with TIE BAR on an EM1