Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How To install a header write up with some pics. (56k ok, i think)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How To install a header write up with some pics. (56k ok, i think)

Ok I desided to do a write up with the installation of my header that i did last night and finished this morning. I ran into some problem with my sensor but i came to good old H-T for the answer and it worked out good. I only have pics of taking off the header cause i didnt have a digi camera it was my friends and he was busy today to take pics of the finishing touches.

This was a USDM DC Sport 4-1 Header for a GSR.

Tools needed:
14mm Socket/wrench
12mm Socket/wrench (whichever you perfer)
16mm socket/wrench

First off heres the car (if you dont like the body kit buy me and new bumper, if you cant then shut up about it ) Also have the car jacked up.

Here is a pic of the engine, JDM GSR, with stock shitty looking header

First thing you are going to want to remove is the cat. from the header, to do that you will have 2 12mm bolts (atleast mine were, you might have different, but shouldnt be bigger then 14mm)

Next there is a brace that is attached to the Header to stop it from moving, undo all those bolts. (all 14mm)

Next thing that i did was undo the next brace which were 16 mm bolts. (opps i forgot to take a good picture of them (although i thought i did) but heres your best view i could get)

Next is the top of the header to work with:

Where you have 9 12mm bolts to take off (5 on the bottom and 4 on top)

Next you take off the header by pulling out and bringing it under the car. Here is the comparison of the 2:

Notice the big *** dent on my old one compared to the new one? (got them used from a H-T member)

The only problem i ran into was with the O2 sensor (i think thats the sensor) but i just took that down my muffler shop and they handled it good. And now everything is in running good. First thing i noticed is that my rpms go up smoothly, i havent taken it for a launch or anything yet, but i will soon enough.

If i have time i will take pics of the header on. Also i did everything from the bottom up cause that made more sense to me, but you could also start from the top down. I hope that helps someone, and i hope my pics work, WTDR was down so i tried uploading them to my site, if they dont work ill put them up when WTDR is working again. Any questions just ask.

Modified by Luserkid at 7:11 PM 7/14/2004
Old 10-26-2003, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How To install a header write up with some pics. (Luserkid)

good write up
Old 10-26-2003, 11:21 AM
u0f

nice write-up.. not so nice body kit..
Old 10-26-2003, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To install a header write up with some pics. (u0f)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by u0f &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not so nice body kit..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 10-26-2003, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Other tips:

Make sure the car is cold, a header gets extremely hot.

Don't climb under the car with a floorjack holding it up, like in these pics.

Oh, and don't post pics until you clean your engine bay.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:25 AM
u0f

btw.. your new header looks like its dented.. that could be hurting the airflow
Old 10-26-2003, 11:27 AM

Default Re: How To install a header write up with some pics. (JoshuaVTEC)

Is it me or does the stock header you pulled out look WAY longer than the header you put in??!? Whatd you have to do to modify your cat? or did you add in an extra length of piping.

Edit: the pic of both the headers on the ground, shows some length of piping added to it..then the stock header pics of it on the car dont show that piece of piping and nor does it in the comparing the dents pic. Whats goin on?

Mike
Old 10-26-2003, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To install a header write up with some pics. (sledgehammer)

Yea i forgot the mention that, like josh sad make sure the car is cold. I dont have any jack stands so i used 2 regular jacks to hold it up (one on the tranny and one on the pass sid of the car).

Also yea the stock one is longer, what i did was just have the muffler guy make a extention to it, and on that extention he put a bung in there and stuck the O2 sensor in it. Works pretty good.

That dent on the new header is really small, doesnt make to much of a distance for me anyway since number one reason for this header is to get a BAR in late November/early December.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sledgehammer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Edit: the pic of both the headers on the ground, shows some length of piping added to it..then the stock header pics of it on the car dont show that piece of piping and nor does it in the comparing the dents pic. Whats goin on?

Mike</TD></TR></TABLE>

Look at the pic under the car and when i hold the header in my hand, you could see the piece that was welded on as a extention under the car (right behind the dent). Im not even sure if that was how the header came with the engine or if it was welded on, all i know it was there. Those are both the same header.