Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to install grill mesh?!?! Have bumper apart, need help asap!!!! 99 Si!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 06:01 PM
Kin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install grill mesh?!?! Have bumper apart, need help asap!!!! 99 Si!!!

Hey I just bought a grill mesh kit on-line from atgrills.com and I have my bumper all ripped off and **** but I don't know what to do from here. The directions say something about cutting off some black tabs!?!?! What's that about? Also, do I cut out the existing black mesh!?!? Any help would be greatly appreciated guys! Thanks ahead of time!!

Nick
Old 04-08-2002, 06:14 PM
Kin

Default Re: How to install grill mesh?!?! Have bumper apart, need help asap!!!! 99 Si!!! (Kin)

come on someone help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Modified by Kin, 10:49 PM 4/8/2002]
Old 04-08-2002, 06:49 PM
Kin

Default Re: How to install grill mesh?!?! Have bumper apart, need help asap!!!! 99 Si!!! (Kin)

anybody out there know about this????
Old 04-08-2002, 06:59 PM

I just replaced the grill on my friends 2000 Si. You are talking about the grill between the headlights with the Honda symbol in the center? Right?

All I had to do was unscrew everything and it came right off. There are probably around 10 screws, maybe more, I can't remember. Some of the screws on the bottom had a tab that you had to shove a screwdriver into to get them to unscrew but I never had to rip anything off.

I was just replacing the stock grill with another stock grill though. If you are installing an aftermarket grill then it may screw on differently.
Old 04-08-2002, 07:17 PM
Kin

Default Re: How to install grill mesh?!?! Have bumper apart, need help asap!!!! 99 Si!!! (Bagel Williams)

http://www.atgrills.com/9900sir2.html is how it "should" look.. and yes I am talking about that top grill where the H is. (I took my emblem off so theres not even anything there) I have to place it over the stock grill somehow so it fits right but it doesnt. I have emailed the atgrill guys as well about this but if anyone knows what to do or if the tabs need to go please let me know.
Old 04-08-2002, 09:16 PM
Kin

Just reposting this if anyone just came on I still need some help, Thank you.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

um it wont be a perfect fit... from far away it will look ok if u be careful enough, but basically you're putting a sheet of mesh between your frame and the plastic support/backing... i have done this before on my EX, and it wasn't pretty... my friends and i worked at it and tucked it in and trimmed it perfectly and then put it back on my car... you just have to be careful and patient.. the metal sheet isnt very easy to work with... what you can do is cut out a perfect sized grill, leaving some tabs to secure between the frame and the backing... but im telling u it will never be a perfect fit if you intend to tuck the grill between the frame and the backing... most people just cut out the perfect size and shape, then attach tabs of mesh onto the support?

IMO u should keep the stock SI grill, or paint that mesh part silver to look like it's metal.. that is what i would do if i had a chance to start over...

trust me there is no real secure way of attaching the metal mesh onto ur stock grill... i gave you two methods:
1. tuck the edges of the mesh around the grill backing, then trim as needed so it wont be a lot of noticeable gaps... if you screw the backing to the frame really tight with the mesh neatly tucked, it will be OKAY DECENT but not perfect
2. trim the metal mesh perfectly to match the size/shape of the oem grill, leave small tabs of the mesh to bend back and you can secure these on ur grill backing. of course the sides of the mesh will be loose and not secure and you just have to live with it...

either way it'll be pretty poser, unless you go with something like Grill Craft or something... hope this helps

EDIT: you will be VERY SORRY if you cut out the black mesh on your original grill backing. trust me i did it to my EX... it's not very easy to cut anyway... leave it there. or else u'll regret

[Modified by tFUnK, 3:20 AM 4/11/2002]