Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to identify OEM vs. aftermarket 1993 DelSol Si V-tec Distributor? need help asap

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 How to identify OEM vs. aftermarket 1993 DelSol Si V-tec Distributor? need help asap

Hi folks,
I have been searching but have not come up with a definitive answer. Our 93 DelSol's TD-42U distributor has a bad internal sensor and an internal oil leak. Found this out when the cap was full of oil and we coded for a TDC sensor failure. Ohm meter test on the wiring revealed the sensor is definately bad. So with all this wrong, I need a new distributor housing at the very least. Everything else in the dizzy is perfect. I don't want to go aftermarket if I don't have to. The unit in it now is an aftermarket version. And considering what all is wrong, I have no faith in aftermarket. However, Honda wants more then we can afford right now... also have a bad clock reel assembly (srs light, horn and cruise failure)... these 2 are so expensive. Alone is one thing, but needing both.... ugh! The car has 136,000 miles on the odometer. How long do factory units last?

So I have been exploring the used market and junkyards. Finally I found a local yard with 3 or 4 distributors. All are from a 92-95 V-tec. So I have a few options. $90 is the price. Steep, but for an oem... worth it to me. So I need to be sure when I get there that I can identify which is an oem versus and aftermarket version. I'm not paying $90 for a used part store/ ebay one... lol! Esp considering thats what is in the car now. I tried to ask the guy on the phone to give me the part numbers off the units, but he would not. Sucks being a girl sometimes... Dudes just talk down to you assuming your stupid and dodge questions. I want to go armed with a way to figure it out myself.

So can you help me ID which is which? One thread said the wiring colors... is this true? If so anyone have a diagram showing factory colors. Can't compare it to mine since mine is aftermarket. The links I found searching were all dead.

Thanks you guys. Going today...

Last edited by redraif; 07-01-2014 at 10:13 AM.