Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How hard is it to this list by myself?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard is it to this list by myself?

Hey HT, I was wondering if you guys can give me some advice on some do it yourself work. The local honda shop I go to gave me a recomendation list on these parts I need to fix/replace. How hard do you think it will be for a noob like me to replace these parts myself?

Recomendations (their words exactly)
1.25% remaining on rear brakes, and left rear wheel cylinder leaking, recommend replace rear break hoses and both rear wheel cylinder

2. Right front axle boot torn, recommend replace right front axle shaft

2. Left front axle boot torn, recommend replace left front axle shaft

I had already posted about the axles, but I was wondering about the brakes this time. What is a wheel cylinder, and how do I go about fixing it? And for replacing the brakes, so I just go to the honda dealership and buy some new ones? or how does that work? Any help would be great guys. Thanks
Old 11-23-2004, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How hard is it to this list by myself? (Shikaruto)

if you have some kind of mechanic skills you should be alright,just go buy a honda manuel and follow it.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

depends on how you classify yourself as a noob.

have you ever lowered a car? the tasks listed below are quite simple, but a little more intensive. and by a little, i mean a little. i pulled my axle in 15 minutes.

not hard at all... assuming you have the proper tools
Old 11-23-2004, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How hard is it to this list by myself? (jdmsiR20)

Yeah having the proper tools is always key.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats noobs biggest problem when trying to work on cars. First things first buy a nice set of decent quality tools. They don't have to be snap on's or even craftsmen. Just something to get the job done.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

convert to rear discs - $200-250.
left axle- $70
right axle- $70

reading these threads, https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=382416 and https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=641639 will save you a shitload of money.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slamdcivic)

well here are my recomendations:
0) Get a manual... Like CHilton or Haynes... or what ever.. i can spell

1) go buy nice tools (Craftsman = replace fast and easy...!!!) They should have a special the day after thanks giving

2) If tehre is a Harbor Freight around...go and get some cheap tools taht don;t matter what barnd.... like prybars and hammers!!!

3) go to autozone..... a buddy i used to work with at Kragen's OR CSK is the head manager tehre now... they sell mauanls brakes axels.. everything.. and 9-10 times they will have it in stock..... but tehre are still a few thigns i get at napa( oil and spark plugs.... AAA discount too)

At autozone.... new axles will cost like 60 a side w/ core charge, and it has liftime warranty.. so if it rips again take it out and get a new one!!!

Things I can think of just for axles: NICE TOOL SET, pry bar, new cotterpins, might as well replace the seals, hmmmm WD-40 or PB Blaster for taking off the axle nut, hammer scredriver, and a lot of trque to bust of axle nuts!

While u are doing axles... might as well get some GM Syncromesh with FRICTION MODIFIER!!!! GREAT STUFF

last but not least.... if u have drum or disc rear brakes..... if disc.. u will need a special tool that cost like 5 bucks to spin the piston back in..... if drum.... well.... u beter make friends fast cuz those can be a bitch sometimes

WHERE IS A TOWN!!!!!! If u want rear disc cinvertion i have a set PM me !!!
Old 11-23-2004, 11:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (cueballsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cueballsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> if disc.. u will need a special tool that cost like 5 bucks to spin the piston back in..... </TD></TR></TABLE>

you could use needle nose pliers or any flat thing that fits the piston and turn it back in.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:13 PM

Default Re: (=GAME=)

4" C-Clamp
Old 11-24-2004, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (_Project EJOne)

I dont want to do a conversion for my rear brakes, I just want to replace them with new ones. Should that be bolt on? And would they sell new brakes at kragen or do I have to go to the dealership for that? Also A Craftsman like 90 peice set would be good for this right? So ill be sure to pick up a manual from kragen later today, and it should tell me how to do it all right?
Old 11-24-2004, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it took my friend 6 hours too change his axle. i invited him over to watch me change my axle he timed it cause i made funny of him and i was completely done in 20 mins. moral of the story you just gotta know what your doing like dont take stuff off that you dont need to..
Old 11-24-2004, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cueballsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cueballsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">While u are doing axles... might as well get some GM Syncromesh with FRICTION MODIFIER!!!! GREAT STUFF</TD></TR></TABLE>

could u explain what to do with that....
Old 11-24-2004, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How hard is it to this list by myself? (cnyej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cnyej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah having the proper tools is always key.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh GOD is this the truth.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How hard is it to this list by myself? (JUN EK9)

can someone explain to me what exactly I need to replace my brakes? is it the brake pad? or the whole brake? And what s a rear wheel cylinder? Any special tools I need to do this? What type of brakes do you recommend?
Old 11-25-2004, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what year car do you have?
Old 11-25-2004, 10:21 AM
All Motor Mentor

To be honest with you, if you don't even know what these parts are that you're being asked to change then don't try doing any of this stuff yourself YET. Find a friend or relative that knows how to work on cars and watch him and learn how it's done before you start trying to do stuff on your own. You lack even basic knowledge of a cars systems so you need to grab a manual and do some reading, watch some people who know what they're doing and then start tackling small stuff on your own and slowly work your way up to bigger things. You will not save money if you don't know what you're doing, you'll run the possibility of screwing something up which will cost you more in the long run, or worse jeopardize your safety!
Old 11-25-2004, 10:25 AM

I think its 75% having the right tools and knowing how to use them, and 24% knowledge and 1% having the ***** to dive in and go deep.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:32 AM
All Motor Mentor

Default Re: (Honissan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honissan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think its 75% having the right tools and knowing how to use them, and 24% knowledge and 1% having the ***** to dive in and go deep. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Having the right tools and just enough ***** to tackle a job isn't going to keep you out of trouble or from potentially killing yourself afterwards, from doing work on your car. Knowledge should be 75% because it will tell you that you shouldn't tackle the job if you don't have the right tools and will make sure you do the job correctly and safely. It'll also overide the potential to do something stupid that having "*****" usually causes.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (00Red_SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To be honest with you, if you don't even know what these parts are that you're being asked to change then don't try doing any of this stuff yourself YET. Find a friend or relative that knows how to work on cars and watch him and learn how it's done before you start trying to do stuff on your own. You lack even basic knowledge of a cars systems so you need to grab a manual and do some reading, watch some people who know what they're doing and then start tackling small stuff on your own and slowly work your way up to bigger things. You will not save money if you don't know what you're doing, you'll run the possibility of screwing something up which will cost you more in the long run, or worse jeopardize your safety!</TD></TR></TABLE>

im not trying to do this by myself, im going to get my friends and older brother to help me, its just I wanted to ask you guys because they work on like trucks, and jeeps, so I figured Id ask the honda guys just incase anything goes wrong. I myself have no clue on any of this stuff, and Id like to know whats going when they are doing stuff to my car. And I understand where your coming from, but people have been saying that this is relatively easy, and hopefully it will be a good starting point. And if worst comes to worst, my neighbor is a mechanic, and ill go pester him if something goes wrong. All Im looking for is just a little help from you guys, because im sure you guys know hondas almost as good as the pros.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:05 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (_Project EJOne)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by _Project EJOne &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">4" C-Clamp </TD></TR></TABLE>

ha, good luck
Old 11-25-2004, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Emerika)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what year car do you have?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 11-25-2004, 09:30 PM
All Motor Mentor

Default Re: (Shikaruto)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shikaruto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

im not trying to do this by myself, im going to get my friends and older brother to help me, its just I wanted to ask you guys because they work on like trucks, and jeeps, so I figured Id ask the honda guys just incase anything goes wrong. I myself have no clue on any of this stuff, and Id like to know whats going when they are doing stuff to my car. And I understand where your coming from, but people have been saying that this is relatively easy, and hopefully it will be a good starting point. And if worst comes to worst, my neighbor is a mechanic, and ill go pester him if something goes wrong. All Im looking for is just a little help from you guys, because im sure you guys know hondas almost as good as the pros. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I'm glad that you have help as this will be the best way for you to learn. One thing to keep in mind is that the brake system on your car has the same parts and functions exactly the same way on trucks, jeeps, and every other domestic car and truck out there so you don't need to know much about Hondas in particular to fix them, just basic mechanical knowledge. I wouldn't worry about asking to many questions here, you see that the guys that are going to work on your car will know what to do.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's all pretty straight forward & easy. Just make sure you have the tools, and cotter pins.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If its your cylinders you have drums in the back.. Get a set of shoes and replace both cylinders as well. If the drums are in bad shape replace them as well. Get yourself a good manual and some brake fluid. If your buddies have had any experience at all working on cars it shouldn't be any problem at all. When you pull the rear brake lines off to replace them make sure you don't let all of the break fluid drain out otherwise you will be bleeding your brakes for weeks trying to get all of the air pockets out.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fishnfst)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fishnfs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If its your cylinders you have drums in the back.. Get a set of shoes and replace both cylinders as well. If the drums are in bad shape replace them as well. Get yourself a good manual and some brake fluid. If your buddies have had any experience at all working on cars it shouldn't be any problem at all. When you pull the rear brake lines off to replace them make sure you don't let all of the break fluid drain out otherwise you will be bleeding your brakes for weeks trying to get all of the air pockets out.</TD></TR></TABLE>
t
thank you fishnfst... its good to know people can actually help out!

Quick Reply: How hard is it to this list by myself?