Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How hard is it to change a timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard is it to change a timing belt?

How hard would you guys say is it to change a timing belt? It's not something that can be done in an hour is it? Another question; I was looking at the Haynes Manual and it tells you how to go about doing it step by step. The only thing I am having trouble starting with is positioning the crank to its certain position. How the hell am I supposed to do that? It gives good detailed instructions on how to do everything else, but does't tell you how to move the crank so you can position it properly.

Any help is appreciated!!!
Old 10-05-2004, 12:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How hard is it to change a timing belt? (dmcivic)

I havent changed any timing belts, so dont take what I say as if I were an expert. But I dont think you need to remove the crank to change the belt. There is no way in hell someone could change a timing belt in an hour. The shop that changed mine took 4 hours and they probably had a couple guys working on it. There is a write up in the FAQ thread up top that shows how to change the timing belt and water pump.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:54 PM

Default Re: How hard is it to change a timing belt? (DOHC4life)

THANKS! I am starting tp get the feel for this forum.

I did a search and found what I needed...So sorry for the wasted post!
Old 10-05-2004, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dmcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">THANKS! I am starting tp get the feel for this forum.

I did a search and found what I needed...So sorry for the wasted post!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't forget to search the archives as well. People tend to forget that piece, and there's tons of info in there. Welcome to H-T.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:20 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: How hard is it to change a timing belt? (redlinetuning)

timing belts can be done in under an hour, no problem, but it won't happen the first couple of times you do it
Old 10-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How hard is it to change a timing belt? (DOHC4life)

I just went thorugh this on a D Series and I dont think I will ever try to do it again. Changing the belt (I speak from D series perspective) seems easy once you get past the crank pulley. I didnt even get that far. I ened up paying Honda to do it. If you have never done it, plan on having your car down for a few days unless you get lucky and your bolt just comes off. I could see a timing belt change being done in an hour.....if you do it alot and have taken that crank pulley bolt off before.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:53 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How hard is it to change a timing belt? (specv5150)

yep those bolts can be a bitch, but you can't break it loose try to find someone with a huge impact, non of the little ****. I mean like 1/2 drive impact with alot of torque. I had 2 freaken cars that did this **** to me, I was at the shop so I didn't try a breaker bar though.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:02 PM

Default Re: How hard is it to change a timing belt? (ABK)

definately the best timing belt writeup ever:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=649277

if you want to save yourself a big headache, bite the bullet and pick up the $50 crank pulley tool from snap on before you start.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:07 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How hard is it to change a timing belt? (jwn7)

the crank shaft pulley tool is not used for that problem. it's use to pull pulleys of like GMs and etc. honda's don't need that.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: How hard is it to change a timing belt? (ABK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the crank shaft pulley tool is not used for that problem. it's use to pull pulleys of like GMs and etc. honda's don't need that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

then why does Honda make a crank pulley holder tool....thats strange.

YES, there is such a thing as a crank pulley holder tool for our Hondas. You see the big hex hole inside the crank pulley?? This tool is a huge hollow socket, basically, you stick it in the hex, and your braker bar inside the socket into the 17 or 19mm crank bolt....and it's easy as pie.

My buddy is going to make a huge batch of these and probably sell for about 40-50 bucks....so be on the lookout
Old 10-08-2004, 10:55 AM

Default Re: How hard is it to change a timing belt? (Emerika)

I'll buy one.....thats if my bro-in-laws air tools can't handle the job.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:07 AM
H-T Order of Merit

I bought that tool a couple years ago when I did my timing belt on my Accord. Honda wanted like $80 plus shipping and a month wait. I said screw that and went to The Tool Warehouse and bought the same thing for $40 and a week wait. Here's the link.
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/SP-60100.html

This is one of the best tool investments I've made. Worth every penny.

I think Moroso (sp?) also sells one that has a handle built onto the end of it. I think they sell for like $60.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:42 PM

The single most difficult part of changing your timing belt will be getting to it - removing the drive belts and the timing belt cover are ALL more difficult that actually changing the belt itself.....
Old 10-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">YES, there is such a thing as a crank pulley holder tool for our Hondas. You see the big hex hole inside the crank pulley?? This tool is a huge hollow socket, basically, you stick it in the hex, and your braker bar inside the socket into the 17 or 19mm crank bolt....and it's easy as pie.

My buddy is going to make a huge batch of these and probably sell for about 40-50 bucks....so be on the lookout </TD></TR></TABLE>

There is this cool thing called an air compressor and an air gun with 250 lbs of power that snaps it right off with a few trigger squeezes... then just twist it off with your hand, omg so hard
Old 10-08-2004, 02:01 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: How hard is it to change a timing belt? (137)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 137 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

There is this cool thing called an air compressor and an air gun with 250 lbs of power that snaps it right off with a few trigger squeezes... then just twist it off with your hand, omg so hard </TD></TR></TABLE>

You think 250 lbs of torque is a lot for an air gun?

Try doing a timing belt on an 88 Accord that has never had the crank pulley off, and a 3/4 inch impact gun won't even take it off. We end up using the crank pulley tool more than an air impact to remove the crank bolts at Honda
Old 10-08-2004, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How hard is it to change a timing belt? (TouringAccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TouringAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bought that tool a couple years ago when I did my timing belt on my Accord. Honda wanted like $80 plus shipping and a month wait. I said screw that and went to The Tool Warehouse and bought the same thing for $40 and a week wait. Here's the link.
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/SP-60100.html

This is one of the best tool investments I've made. Worth every penny.

I think Moroso (sp?) also sells one that has a handle built onto the end of it. I think they sell for like $60.</TD></TR></TABLE>

These are good investments but fom what I have read not as good as an airtool. I bought one of those tools and STILL couldnt get my bolt off. Just depends on how stuck that bitch is.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How hard is it to change a timing belt? (137)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 137 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

There is this cool thing called an air compressor and an air gun with 250 lbs of power that snaps it right off with a few trigger squeezes... then just twist it off with your hand, omg so hard </TD></TR></TABLE>
250 lbs? ahahahahah it wouldnt move half a milimeter with my 275 ft/lb gun
Old 10-08-2004, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How hard is it to change a timing belt? (Art In Motion)

its not too hard, just re-timing it and taking off the crank pulley are the hardest parts. If you know what your doing it should only take a couple hours.

helpful tip is that to keep the cams steady u gotta put little punches into the hole where the cams are to keep the arrows at UP, when you put the timing belt on be sure to have the crank a few teeth off TDC so that when u finally get the belt on the cam gear teeth then it will be TDC.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the first time i did mine, i had to do it twice.....i didnt take up the slack correctly when tightening it all down, so my timing was off about a tooth (really makes a difference) so basically it took me like 3 hours to do it twice, take old one off, put new one on. put everything back together, start it, then all over again.

also...
i used a reg size 3/8 impact on 100psi....it took my pulley bolt out
Old 10-08-2004, 08:08 PM

if you change timing belt change the water pump as well.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:19 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How hard is it to change a timing belt? (hatchi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you change timing belt change the water pump as well. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah,
unless its pretty new of course.

but yeh timing belt aint too tough,
but like most things, it can be a pain if you havent done it before.
especially that crank bolt

put it in 5th gear, and have someone hold the brakes,
that should lock it so yoou can remove the bolt. thats what i did,
used a big breaker bar.