Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how hard is it to change synchros?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how hard is it to change synchros?

my transmission pops out of gear. my transmission is picky and sometimes grinds if it doesnt like the way i shift.

anyways i was told i needed to replace the synchros. are there more than one?
how hard are they to replace and how much?
i plan on doing this myself if its easy to moderate.

i got a 98 civic manual. d16y7.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how hard is it to change synchros?

i heard that if it pops out of gears you should do a checklist on the shift linkage/ bushings etc.

i grind in 4th ONLY if im going fast and is coming from a low rpm in nuetral to 4th
Old 01-13-2010, 01:29 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=284236
Old 01-13-2010, 05:39 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Grinding into gears is definitely a symptom of bad synchros, although as Linked said, popping out of gear could be a bushing/linkage problem.

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
Very good thread.

OP - It's not an easy/moderate fix, it's definitely advanced. You have to remove your transmission, then take it apart. I wouldn't attempt it at all unless you're completely confident in your wrenching abilities, as well as your ability to follow a manual. Don't even THINK about it unless you have the manual. All of those gears and rings, and synchros and everything have to go back together in a way that's not immediately apparent.

I'd say that it's a full 2-3 day job if you know what you're doing, more difficult than a B-swap.

All that said, I am planning on attempting my own transmission rebuild / fifth gear swap one of these days. First time for everything, right?
Old 01-13-2010, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=Vindicator9000;41224935]Grinding into gears is definitely a symptom of bad synchros, although as Linked said, popping out of gear could be a bushing/linkage problem.

[QUOTE]

ok. lets say im turning. halfway into the turn if i give it gas it pops out. or if im driving straight and i shift early. it only happens in 2nd and 3rd.

i also notice that if i let go of the gas while driving the shifter will move slightly forward. when i resume giving it gas it moves slightly back.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:22 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

The shifter moving slightly front to back on/off throttle is completely normal on a Civic.

Unlike most cars, Civics have a metal shift linkage rather than a system of cables... meaning that the shifter is rigidly connected to the transmission/engine with steel bars. When you go on/off throttle the engine twists a little bit with the torque, and that's why you can feel your shifter move.

It shouldn't move enough to pop out of gear, but I could see how a bent or damaged shift linkage could magnify the normal movement enough to pop it out. Especially when you consider that the shift linkage hangs from underneath the car, and is subject to being damaged by hitting things.

I've heard of popping out of gear also being cause by synchros, but you should inspect the linkage first. It's the easier/cheaper option.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well maybe just maybe if u have a bad tranny mount the movement of the whole trans link might be moving the 'stick' back and forth enough to pop out of gear. "just a thought"
Old 01-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=munoz4415;41225279][QUOTE=Vindicator9000;41224935]Grinding into gears is definitely a symptom of bad synchros, although as Linked said, popping out of gear could be a bushing/linkage problem.

ok. lets say im turning. halfway into the turn if i give it gas it pops out. or if im driving straight and i shift early. it only happens in 2nd and 3rd.

i also notice that if i let go of the gas while driving the shifter will move slightly forward. when i resume giving it gas it moves slightly back.
the synchro CANNOT cause it to pop out of gear, that is shift interlocks/ detents(both are inside the transmission)or shift linkage/bushings.....or possibly the eninge mounts are allowing the engine to move enough to jar the transmission out of gear. the grinding very possibly could be synchro, or something in the synchro pack(ring, keys, spring......), could be a misaligned shifter or bushings. id definitely start by checking the bushings and shift linkages, those are gonna be the easiest to check AND the cheapest to fix if thats where the problem is.

BUT since it only happens in 2nd and 3rd, which are not in the same plane(1,3,5 are in the same plane, 2 & 4 are in the same plane, 1,2; 3,4; 5,R are in the same plane).......its sounding like an internal transmission problem. but start with the basics and easiest which is the linkage and bushings.

but to answer your question.......if you have to ask how hard it is to change synchros.........its too hard for you to attempt.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Vindicator9000
The shifter moving slightly front to back on/off throttle is completely normal on a Civic.

Unlike most cars, Civics have a metal shift linkage rather than a system of cables... meaning that the shifter is rigidly connected to the transmission/engine with steel bars. When you go on/off throttle the engine twists a little bit with the torque, and that's why you can feel your shifter move.

It shouldn't move enough to pop out of gear, but I could see how a bent or damaged shift linkage could magnify the normal movement enough to pop it out. Especially when you consider that the shift linkage hangs from underneath the car, and is subject to being damaged by hitting things.

I've heard of popping out of gear also being cause by synchros, but you should inspect the linkage first. It's the easier/cheaper option.

now that you mention that, the car accident comes to mind. the car was once hit hard in the front. it also bottomed out on the curb. the car got a new radiator core support, fenders, and a hood. if you say that the shift linkeages are underneath the car then there is a good chance that thats the problem. ill give that a check and update you guys.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bad synchros = grinding when selecting

bad collars = popping out of gear

bad synchros, bad collars = assed out trashed on tranny

when jamming gears the braking part of the synchro wears out and the collar is forced over the gear, damaging the surfaces of the diamond shaped engagement teeth which eventually become rounded and the gears pop out. they go together like peanut butter and jelly. just throwin that out there
Old 01-13-2010, 11:09 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Originally Posted by newtron63h
but to answer your question.......if you have to ask how hard it is to change synchros.........its too hard for you to attempt.
Agree with everything you said, but this specifically^^^

Changing synchros is not an easy weekend job for your average shadetree mechanic.

OP, if you bottomed out the car in an accident as you indicated, I would seriously look at the linkage. It doesn't happen very often, but they do get effed up.

For the synchro problem though, it's probably going to be easier and cheaper to find a used D-series transmission than to rebuild it. I've seen them go for as little as $100 on hondamarketplace.