Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how to get out a big dent?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 02:04 AM
TSPeed Factory

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to get out a big dent?

some lady backed into my car, and it was my decision to claim the insurance money and spend it on other things besides fixing the dent she put on my car right now. i do eventually plan on getting the car professionally repaired, but i was just wondering what would be the best approach in popping this dent back out? any tips? i can get to it from the inside of the trunk.

i've heard one way to do it is to stick a completely flat basketball in between there and inflate it until the dent pops back out. another way was to just stick a 2x4 on the heart of the dent and then just simply pound it out with a hammer.

Old 06-02-2005, 02:29 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how to get out a big dent? (AzntaggeR)

goto a parts store and get a dent puller, you will prob need 3 holes, you screw a sheet metal screw into the metal, and then slide a weighted handle back, it pulls it out.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to get out a big dent? (menkio)

you could also tac (weld) a thin rod,and they make weighted handles that grip the ends of the rods
Old 06-02-2005, 02:59 AM

sandpaper and the loads of bondo!!
Old 06-02-2005, 03:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to get out a big dent? (lemon_juice)

Yeah menkio is right. There is that rod with a weight on it that slides back and pulls out larger dents. I have an autobody book if u want to take a look at it matt
Old 06-02-2005, 04:34 AM

Default Re: how to get out a big dent? (Plugg'd)

or bodyshop
Old 06-02-2005, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

a paintless dent removal place could probably get most of that out
Old 06-02-2005, 06:42 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

Old 06-02-2005, 06:45 AM
Boba Connoisseur

That dent is too complex for simple methods like that. Well, you could do that and make use of lots of body filler, but do you really want to do that?

I'd replace the entire quarter panel. That's also very expensive.

Good luck.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:47 AM

Default Re: how to get out a big dent?

You cannnnnnnnn get at it from the trunk but you need to have arms that are 5 ft long. The air bag trick might work, get like a dive bag that scuba divers use (U can rent them) then stick it back there and slowly inflate it to get the majority of the dent out, youll never get it back perfect like that because the metal is really stretched out, but youll get it pretty close.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:48 AM

Default Re: how to get out a big dent? (nocturnaldragon)

Ohh Id hit up those bare metal areas with paint asap before it rusts, because then your going to have a whole different proplem!!!
Old 06-02-2005, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: how to get out a big dent? (SkyeC)

Go to a junk yard cut a piece bigger then the dent out match it up to your car scribe a line all the way around the piece you cut out over your car. Weld the new piece in and grind,sand,paint. Its gonna be a real pain in the *** trying to pull that whole dent out because its so big
Old 06-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

about how much did the insurance company pay you out on a dent like that ? just curious..
Old 06-02-2005, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SkoundrelUSA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>

iwas thinking that too! i actually used one to pull a dent from my mom's old previa... but then again, the sheet metal was paper thin on that car...
Old 06-02-2005, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Why so you can pretend like youre interested, FL/OK

Not too many tips because there are creases in the dents which makes me think it isn't so much of a pop out affair. More where you're going to have to use a hammer to get it to stick out again but even then if you look right in the middle there is that big crease that you're going to have to worry about when you're hammering it out. I've seen similar and now I cannot tell it was ever hit it's just going to take some time and good work.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:23 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: (dantastic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

iwas thinking that too! i actually used one to pull a dent from my mom's old previa... but then again, the sheet metal was paper thin on that car...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I've never done it myself, but my friend said he did it to his hatch (he ran into his hatch with his bike ).
Old 06-02-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Re: how to get out a big dent? (menkio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by menkio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">goto a parts store and get a dent puller, you will prob need 3 holes, you screw a sheet metal screw into the metal, and then slide a weighted handle back, it pulls it out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I did when I used to work at my bodyshop...
Old 06-02-2005, 10:46 AM

Default Re: how to get out a big dent? (Cboy1-EG6)

Someone backed into the front right side of my car a few months back, the dent looked pretty much the same. A friend of mine owns a body shop though, and i went over there with him while he popped it out, he pretty much put some heating "thing" (not sure what its called) behind the dent and slowly worked it out, hit it with a hammer on some of the parts that didnt wanna pop out all the way, then put it out in the sun for a second and it looked good as new. Beside the fact there was paint cracking around the area outside the dent. *shrugs* good luck.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to get out a big dent? (SwiperEK)

that dents looks like it went all the way beside the door. that's gonna be a hard fix i dont think a dent puller will do the trick, worst comes to worst, you gotta replace that quarter panel. unless of course you're fine with not having your door aligned with the quarter panel i like your car btw
Old 06-02-2005, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you probably should have just had it fixed. But it kinda sounds like u needed the money.

oh well.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (integraXTC)

there are creases in it, it will not simply pull out. and a paintless dent removal place will not help much because of the creases and that paint is already broken so whats the point in trying to save the paint???

as stated above
1. dent puller, body hammers and a skilled hand will get alot of that out, then sand bondo and primer

2. get a piece of matching sheet metal cut out the damaged area, then re-weld th new piece of sheet metal, sand bondo finish

3. new quater panel$$$$$
Old 06-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You did the wrong thing by not having that dent fixed. There's no way in **** that you'll be able to get that out yourself and neither will a paintless dent removal place.

That's not even a dent: that's terrible, structural damage. A body shop is probably going to have to cut that out and weld in part of a new panel.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:21 PM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's not even a dent: that's terrible, structural damage. A body shop is probably going to have to cut that out and weld in part of a new panel.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you're absolutely right, and the whole rear quarter panel does have to be replaced. the dent doesn't bother me enough to where i'd want to get it fixed asap, but i do want it to atleast look a lot more presentable then it currently looks at the moment.

i'm not gonna use bondo on it. if i'm gonna do that i might as well just get it replaced. how much would a paintless dent remover place charge? i just want to get the dent out for now.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Default Re: (AzntaggeR)

PDR can't do anything for that. I doubt that they would even try because it would come out looking shitty and it wouldn't do anything but make them look bad. Same reason most "better" body shops won't do half-assed repairs using mass amounts of body filler.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to get out a big dent? (NAPIER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NAPIER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go to a junk yard cut a piece bigger then the dent out match it up to your car scribe a line all the way around the piece you cut out over your car. Weld the new piece in and grind,sand,paint. Its gonna be a real pain in the *** trying to pull that whole dent out because its so big</TD></TR></TABLE>

he know the real way to do it!

Quick Reply: how to get out a big dent?