Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to get cams to TDC for timing belt?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 How to get cams to TDC for timing belt?!?

Ive been re-timing my Ls started last night everything was going nice and smooth the crank pulley marks lined up with tdc and all so i took the belt off next now i went to turn them clockwise to put the timing belt back on BUT they keep skipping like instead of turning free the jump up but its not directly tdc i have absoluetly no idea how to get them directly tdc now i give up and need HT's help....there will be a pic below i heard about locking the cams but i dont see anything online about where it is.. Do i need to untension the belt or something idfk... any help or links is appreciated. Time for class so ill check responses after. Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to get cams to TDC for timing belt?!?

This was really confusing buttt. All B series go COUNTER CLOCKWISE! now, why are you re-timing it. did it jump a tooth, head gasket, or just for s&g. were you trying to do ignition timing? To get the belt loose, yes loosen then tentioner bolt. To rotate the engine more easily take the plugs out so there's no compression. you shouldn't need one of those locks, makes it easier but still possible.
more info would be helpful, like what your doing and why.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My main issue is getting the Cams to stay in one place for me to slide the belt back on once i solve that its a cake walk.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sive
This was really confusing buttt. All B series go COUNTER CLOCKWISE! now, why are you re-timing it. did it jump a tooth, head gasket, or just for s&g. were you trying to do ignition timing? To get the belt loose, yes loosen then tentioner bolt. To rotate the engine more easily take the plugs out so there's no compression. you shouldn't need one of those locks, makes it easier but still possible.
more info would be helpful, like what your doing and why.
To answer you, it jumped timing i was retiming crank is a tdc now your telling me to spin the cam gears COUNTER clockwise insted of clockwise, they will not and i mean will not spin counter clock wise the crank does no problem but the cams wont ive been using the 12mm on it ill remove all plugs and try again i have 1&4 out only to get tdc... Read in a thred on hear when you spin the cam gears clockwise in reality it spins counter clockwise?? No idea how true that is
Old 08-22-2013, 02:37 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The entire engine spins counter clockwise. The reason why feel like you can't turn the cams counter clockwise is because it's at TDC meaning #1 is about to open it's intake valves. That's your resistance.

Try this, leave the cams and crank at TDC. Then turn the crank clockwise a couple of teeth. Put the belt on, then turn the crank counter clockwise to apply tension to the belt. You'll notice (if you haven't already) the crank HAS to move just a bit before tension is created. This is why I recommend turning it clockwise just a bit before applying tension so that by the time tension is created the crank will be at TDC. Once tension is created both cams and the crank will move together in unison. It takes a couple of tries to get it right but you'll see that it can work doing it this way.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

while this may not be the simplest way I set the bottom end at tdc then I remove the camshafts and put then in that way by hand lining them up by eye. yes it's simpler to undo the tensioner but mine is stuck lol.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:18 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

There is an alternative. In the cam holders near the cams themselves, there are two holes. You need to find two drill bits that fit those holes exactly and I mean EXACTLY. That will hold the cams in place while you slip on the belt. Once belt is on tighten tension,remove drill bits, turn crank one revolution, or one full turn, and check timing. If all is spot on loosen tension 1/4 turn, turn crank about 3 teeth, I would say here turn the crank until the marks on the cam sprockets are further away from each other by 3 teeth. At this time you'll notice that the belt is a little tight, tighten the tensioner and turn crank until the arrow "up" on the cam sprockets are pointing up and the marks are aligned at crank and on the cam sprockets. Drink a soda ( if you're a kid ) or have a smoke and a beer ( you're an adult ).