Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to gap honda piston rings

where to place the ring gapsthey
Old 10-23-2003, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: how to gap honda piston rings (hontegra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hontegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where to place the ring gapsthey</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can't make you a picture using ASCII art. I would highly suggest you to pick up either a helm or a haynes/chilton manual to answer this question. Basically, you don't want the gaps on any thrust surfaces.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to gap honda piston rings (hontegra)

what? i dont understand the question or your engrish?
Old 10-23-2003, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to gap honda piston rings (cjames235)

what do thrust surfaces have to do with piston rings? this goes for any car:

1.) Well basically you put the ring in the bore, and use a piston to evenly press it down a bit.
2.) Feeler guage the piston ring gap.
3.) if its too small, a file in a vice works for me CAREFUL.. just tiny bits at a time!!!
4.) Goto step 1
5.) If its too big now or before .. eeek goto Honda and buy new ring
Old 10-23-2003, 01:23 PM

thanks i understand it now,placing piston and rings on ls vtec
Old 10-23-2003, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to gap honda piston rings (GimpyAccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GimpyAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what do thrust surfaces have to do with piston rings? this goes for any car:

1.) Well basically you put the ring in the bore, and use a piston to evenly press it down a bit.
3.) if its too small, a file in a vice works for me CAREFUL.. just tiny bits at a time!!!
4.) Goto step 1
5.) If its too big now or before .. eeek goto Honda and buy new ring </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thrust surface has everything to do with it. He didn't ask us how to GAP the rings, he asked "Where to place the gaps"... So again, thrust surfaces have everything to do with it. Read again.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to gap honda piston rings (Hybrid93Eg)

DOH! Whoops.. hehe ya maybe someone will scan him the page with the clocking of the rings.

Sorry dude.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GimpyAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what do thrust surfaces have to do with piston rings? this goes for any car:

4.) Goto step 1
5.) If its too big now or before .. eeek goto Honda and buy new ring </TD></TR></TABLE>

And a couple of problems with your instructions...

One, cylinder bores are tapered. You should always measure ring gap at the tightest point of the cylinder, which is the bottom. You should place the ring down in the bore using a piston until it sits about 1" from the very bottom of the bore before measuring gap.

Two, you don't use any old file. Doing so will royally jack your rings. You should be using a piston ring file. They run about $40.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GimpyAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DOH! Whoops.. hehe ya maybe someone will scan him the page with the clocking of the rings.

Sorry dude.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Heh. My scanner is down
Old 10-23-2003, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And a couple of problems with your instructions...

One, cylinder bores are tapered. You should always measure ring gap at the tightest point of the cylinder, which is the bottom. You should place the ring down in the bore using a piston until it sits about 1" from the very bottom of the bore before measuring gap.

Two, you don't use any old file. Doing so will royally jack your rings. You should be using a piston ring file. They run about $40.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Although I've been using a very fine file for years.... I appreciate the advice And I don't mean that smartassly
Old 10-23-2003, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GimpyAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Although I've been using a very fine file for years.... I appreciate the advice And I don't mean that smartassly</TD></TR></TABLE>

I won't say it won't work... There are many "other" ways to do quite a bit of things. The correct way though is to use a ring file. I prefer to use the correct tool for the job when doing machine work or building engines myself. It would just not be worth it for the engine to die early over saving $40 on a ring file in my opinion. But anyways, your welcome.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're right and had i known such a beast exsisted I woulda built my 351 in the mustang and the F22A1 in my Accord with one. I'm kinda glad this thread popped up because I'm ABOUT to start building a new 4G64 (2.4L) for my 91 Talon... anyway, enough hijacking.