Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How the F*** to remove shift linkage...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How the F*** to remove shift linkage...

Well I am getting ready to do my swap and I am slowly pulling out my blown single cam as I have time. Today i removed all the exhaust and attempted to remove all the shift linkage and shifter.

well I got teh shifter out and one of the two bars that attach to the trans. Now I can't seem to figure out how the hell to get the shift linkage disconnected from teh trans?

Please refrain from posting some dumb *** comment as it is getting dark and I am trying to get this done...

here are a few pictures for you

Lets see who knows there ****... i thought I did...
Old 10-19-2005, 05:33 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How the F*** to remove shift linkage... (Jon V)

Search 'bitch pin'

I can't believe you don't have your old motor out yet. omg...
Old 10-19-2005, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How the F*** to remove shift linkage... (litterbox)

just tell me I want it off now...
Old 10-19-2005, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I BELIVE you have to pull the rubber bushing back a lil bit or something and there is a lil metal pin you have to push it out might be on the outside..but I know there is a lil metal pin that holds it in try pulling the bushing back a lil bit
Old 10-19-2005, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How the F*** to remove shift linkage... (DoctorVtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DoctorVtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I BELIVE you have to pull the rubber bushing back a lil bit or something and there is a lil metal pin you have to push it out might be on the outside..but I know there is a lil metal pin that holds it in try pulling the bushing back a lil bit</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks
Old 10-19-2005, 05:36 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Jon,

Pull your old motor. Don't worry about the ******* linkage.

See the linkage that I didn't bother wit;h.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How the F*** to remove shift linkage... (litterbox)

LoL I'm just going to do that **** tomarrow.

I don't want to pull the motor because I am not sure exactly when the new one will be going in, and I don't want my suspsnsion decompressed for 2-3 months...

You **** face...
Old 10-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did my info help at all man?
Old 10-19-2005, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pull the rubber boot back, and there is a C clip, pop that off, and there is a roller pin in there. It will be a hell of a lot easier, if you have a roller pin punch tool. use that, and a good hammer, and punch it out. But, chances are you dont have a punch. So, another good "tool" is the long bolt that holds your AC compressor on. It happens to have atapered end, that fits perfectly on the pin. Use that, and the hammer, and pound it out.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How the F*** to remove shift linkage... (DoctorVtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DoctorVtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did my info help at all man?</TD></TR></TABLE>

we'll see tomarrow...

I'm done for the night... I think you are right though because I don't see any other way. I was about to bust out the hack saw...

i kinda figured thats what it was but that boot doesn't move much. I'm probly just going to cut it off...

Thanks for the quick responce...

Andy thanks for nothing... Just jokin man
Old 10-19-2005, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (my_slow_civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by my_slow_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pull the rubber boot back, and there is a C clip, pop that off, and there is a roller pin in there. It will be a hell of a lot easier, if you have a roller pin punch tool. use that, and a good hammer, and punch it out. But, chances are you dont have a punch. So, another good "tool" is the long bolt that holds your AC compressor on. It happens to have atapered end, that fits perfectly on the pin. Use that, and the hammer, and pound it out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

of course I have a punch, I just don't have a brain to figure out where I need to put it...

I'm getting ready for my K swap (some day, ahh). It's just been a bad day so I needed to work on the car to let out some frustration. then I get everything done excpet removing that one rod...
Old 10-19-2005, 05:45 PM

hah i used a damn screwdriver and knocked out the pin with that, hey it worked
Old 10-19-2005, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jon V)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by my_slow_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pull the rubber boot back, and there is a C clip, pop that off, and there is a roller pin in there. It will be a hell of a lot easier, if you have a roller pin punch tool. use that, and a good hammer, and punch it out. But, chances are you dont have a punch. So, another good "tool" is the long bolt that holds your AC compressor on. It happens to have atapered end, that fits perfectly on the pin. Use that, and the hammer, and pound it out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was right
Old 10-19-2005, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (my_slow_civic)

Props to you, i use the long AC bolt everytime i have to remove the linkage, its like it was made for it, just use that and you wont believe how easy it is.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Re: (b18cKoupe)

I used a flat punch, and the bitch pin came right out. I dunno why everybody freaks out on it so much. I was all worried about it because of what I read on H-T, but it was a breeze
Old 10-19-2005, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b18cKoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18cKoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i use the long AC bolt everytime i have to remove the linkage, its like it was made for it, just use that and you wont believe how easy it is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

couldn't have said it better myself
Old 10-20-2005, 12:36 AM

Default Re: (donut.)

I got so tired of this pin because my jack stands are so short which gave me no room to swing a hammer. To complicate this the pin was nearly rusted in place. I never did get the thing out!

So I just pulled the engine out while I had two buddies lifting up on the car to provide clearance for the shift linkage.

Once out, I took a grinder and ground off the heads on the rivet that keeps the knuckle together. I replaced it with a grade 8 bolt and self-locking nut with a drop of locktight.

Now, pulling the linkage requires no pounding nor cussing!
Old 10-20-2005, 12:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Cuda70)

go to kragen, and buy a set of "picks" i think that is whats it called...i had the same problem..made my life so much easier
Old 10-20-2005, 01:09 AM
HT Order of Merit

Default Re: (black cx)

I used a air hammer. Out in 5 seconds.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SpydiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpydiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I used a flat punch, and the bitch pin came right out. I dunno why everybody freaks out on it so much. I was all worried about it because of what I read on H-T, but it was a breeze </TD></TR></TABLE>

Because people don't get the right tools to do it and then they wonder why it takes them forever.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:36 AM

Yeah, i just used my airhammer w/the pointy bit and it comes out in a second.
-Chris
Old 10-20-2005, 07:36 AM

Default Re: (JDM-Civic-Hatch)

what would be a good tool to put the rubber boot back on? The rubber boot on my linkage is pulled back and you can see the pin

sorry to hijack your thread dude
Old 10-20-2005, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boomtick)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boomtick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what would be a good tool to put the rubber boot back on? The rubber boot on my linkage is pulled back and you can see the pin

sorry to hijack your thread dude </TD></TR></TABLE>

your hand...it's just a rubber boot
Old 10-20-2005, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FERIOkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FERIOkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

your hand...it's just a rubber boot</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol pwned
Old 10-20-2005, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You pull the rubber boot back, then use a hammer and 8mm roll pin punch and pound the **** out of the roll pin, it's easier to hammer up towards the car also.

Replace the roll pin regardless of what ppl say, they are like 20 cents.

good luck

Quick Reply: How the F*** to remove shift linkage...