Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How is everyone getting their car stolen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How is everyone getting their car stolen?

I see so many new car stolen threads everyday, i want to learn from them....

Are all you guys parking streetside/in a parking lot? That seems like where are the cars are stolen?

I park in a garage and so far i have been safe but i want to get a feel where the highest risk is... im think.. curbside

Also, do you guys have QR Wheels? I know they can always tow ya but if u have a quick release and take the wheel how can they get away? Do thieves really carry an extra steering wheel?

I usually park in the garage and lock my steering wheel in my trunk in my secret lock box where the spare tire used to be.... seems to have worked pretty well so far

So can you guys who've been had help us out? I know it hurts to remember the painful memories, but where/how was ur baby taken from you?
Old 04-20-2005, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How is everyone getting their car stolen? (turbotime)

you can never tell when its gonna happen man you cant really generalize it like that it happens when it happens
Old 04-20-2005, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i mean i have read a go 100+ theft threads as a memeber here and easily 90% happen:

A) parked streetside, at night, owner asleep

B) in parking lot, owner at work

i dont think im generalizing, more like stating a fact....

It seems the absence of a steering wheel could prevent and or deter a lot fo theft, i wonder why more people go the alarm/autolock/cutoff route rather than a QR wheel/hublock/trunk lockbox?
Old 04-20-2005, 08:46 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (turbotime)

I want to know too...... and it seems that more than half the cars stolen here have some kind of security too so WTF?

It seems it's kinda inevitable doesn't it? That sucks ***...........
Old 04-20-2005, 08:50 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: (WildPig)

They only have alarms...
Old 04-20-2005, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (BauleyCivic)

If they want your car theyll take your car. It doesnt matter what you have. You could have 1000000 dollar alarm and your car could still be gone in the morning. How you ask? TOW TRUCK. So in a sense your never safe.

Majority of places that it happens is in peoples front yard (curbside). They park there thinking its safe with the alarm when its not. Most alarms are ****, actually most alarms are ****, they dont protect your car they just let you know whats going on.

I dont have an alarm but i do have kill switches (which i think are alot better then alarms), i pull my VAFC, and a couple of no starting fuses. That way the only way they could take my car is by towing it. But when im at a friends house or something i could easily hear a tow truck lifting my car.

Parking structures and well populated area's (malls for example) are suprisingly safer then your house (during the day when the malls open) because theres always traffic and people. I sent my friend out to change my spark plugs (i work at a mall) and he was there for like 2 mins and someone comes up to him and askes if it was his car. So i have more faith in public area as long as you have things to insure that your car doesnt get towed.

This is how i protect my car, my driveway is a long straight type so you have to have one car after another after another to park. So its my car then my moms. When i have a customers car, its customers car, my car behind, my moms behind and my 84 duallie Those cars arent going anywhere in silence.

Just make sure the only way to take your car is to tow it and youll be ok for the most part, things inside the car dont matter because they could easily be replaced.

Wow that was longer then i thought, sorry
Old 04-20-2005, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (BauleyCivic)

Most people don't want to sacrifice their airbags for a quick release steering wheel. My car is has several kill switches, autolock, and is in my alarmed garage every night. I keep all the anti-theft devises on even when it is parked in the garage.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:04 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (Luserkid)

^^^^ pretty long but good post

Or just park it in you garage if you have one ...........
Old 04-20-2005, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dwnhatch,

see u seem pretty damn safe, and wouldnt need QR i mean, ALARMED GARAGE, cmon bro your sittin pretty

But I mean for teh rest of us, why not just get a quick release? It isnt foolproof but its hard to drive a car away with no wheel... and of course a tow truck could still take ur car but if thats the only advantage a crook has it seems like we would still be ahead.

If if your choice is losing ur airbag or losing ur car i think the choice is clear
Old 04-20-2005, 09:12 AM

Default Re: (turbotime)

a lot of them are towed. Even if you take all 4 wheels off the car, and the steering wheel you can still get towed. Alarms, kill switches, and the like only deter the novice theives. You can't stop a pro. Instead of spending money on theft deterents, I'd keep all my receipts, and insure the car for a certain amount say $15-20K, instead of nada value.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yup thats true...

i know personally when my turbo swap gets put in im getting the gps-tracking offered by viper

also prolly will insure for 10-20k depending on how much extra it is..

and it will have the QR wheel ofcourse

nothing guarantees it wont get stolen, but GPS guarantees ill get it back, hopefully b4 they strip the motor
Old 04-20-2005, 09:28 AM

Default Re: (wilsel)

IF they want your ****...they will get it, and in case you haven't noticed....CIVICS ARE LIKE THE EASIEST CARS TO STEAL!!!!! NO MATTER WHAT U HAVE ON THEM...(ESPECIALLY IN CALI)...
Old 04-20-2005, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wilsel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wilsel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a lot of them are towed. Even if you take all 4 wheels off the car, and the steering wheel you can still get towed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah all they have to do is break your glass front and rear and run chains through your chassis with a forklift to throw the body onto the back of a bed. LOL.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alarms</TD></TR></TABLE>
if installed properly with a back up battery and make sure the circuitry is closed looped can be a lot harder to get around than you think. [/quote]

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">kill switches</TD></TR></TABLE>
Ignition kill switches imo are pointless and can be bypassed, its not like its going to save your ignition from getting broken in half anyway.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and the like only deter the novice theives.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Not really.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can't stop a pro. Instead of spending money on theft deterents, I'd keep all my receipts, and insure the car for a certain amount say $15-20K, instead of nada value. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is pretty smart, you can even keep your car from getting stolen by a pro, but if they want your car they;ll catch you slippin and make their move.

I had my car stolen twice and I still have it. So A gps tracker like lojack is a good investment... No matter who tells you it sucks, it saved my car 20 minutes after the first time it was stolen, the second time my car was saved by the fuel pump kill switch.

So sometimes its good to mix things up, never keep a pattern.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:28 AM

I believe that you can't stop someone from stealing from you, you can always try. Best things I've seen work is kill swithes, block in your car with another car, your own garage w/ house alarm and alarm your car in the garage, removeable steering wheel, removing your ecu is coo... except I seen crews run around w/ p-28's and p-72's just incase you do that. Trust me no one is safe from this. I've had two cars taking form me. Avoid leaving your car out on the streets and for a long periods of time.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:31 AM
'

Simple. Don't buy a Honda, especially Civic SI's, Civics, and some Integras.

the new hondas probably are a little safer only because some of 'em have key'd ignition, makes it harder to steal. And the people who are able to buy "new" hondas at 18-25Grand, should be able to afford $500 for LoJack or Viper GPS tracking for that matter.

Old 04-20-2005, 12:18 PM

my take on alarms is that they're quite useless. if someone's at work, at school, or at the mall, and their alarm (without the paging system) goes off, would they hear it? most likely not. and then at the scene of the crime. it seems most people who walk pass by a car that's screaming past the point of annoyance don't pay much attention to it. personally, if i hear an alarm, i'd take a look at what's happening. it's always either someone was opening/closing the door/trunk when the alarm was set or some buzzing muffler setting **** off. and what's more useless than an alarm is school/mall security. they'll be there to write you some stupid ticket, but won't know a damn thing when your car is gone.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:22 PM

Well if they want to steal it, then they will get it, no matter how, unless you have someone that keep an eye on the car 24/7.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:19 PM

I had my car towed for supposedly "legal" reason when in fact there wasn't. I went to the tow location and argue with the young guy that was there about not paying for the tow since I had the right to park in the area I did.

After a while arguing, he said I'm not getting my car, and asked me if I wanted trouble. He picks up the phone, dials some ****, and in less than 5 minutes, there were 10+ cars on the parking lot with 2-3 people in each car ready to beat my *** for arguing with that ******: they were mostly Arabs; that's besides the point but most thiefs are in the poorer side of things (I'm not that rich myself but I have an idea who does what from associating with different people).

Having said that, I can tell you for sure, that THAT gang were a bunch of thieves. Simple as that.

They can come to your car, tow it, and no one could ever think they were stealing it, because the tow truck and everything is real, and most people working in the truck business are in the lower class, so there's nothing suspicious about a guy towing an expensive honda. HE HAS THE RIGHT if it was parked illegally...

it's inevitable... if they want your car bad enough, it will be taken from you and it might even seem legal at the time (i.e. towing).
Old 04-20-2005, 01:42 PM

why is everybody calling thieves that use tow trucks pro? any chum off the street can tow a car and he's a pro? from what i read and seen on ht, is that most cars were stolen because they had no alarm at all or forgot to arm it.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How is everyone getting their car stolen? (weedtank)

Have 80 kill switches............
Old 04-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (garaged_Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by garaged_Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well if they want to steal it, then they will get it, no matter how, unless you have someone that keep an eye on the car 24/7. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. If they want it taht bad, they can get it w/ a truck.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How is everyone getting their car stolen? (ef9turbohatch)

Daylight, and being in a crowded area has nothing to do with it. My car was taken at 2pm, in a somewhat busy parking lot, next to a very busy street.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:15 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alarm
Back Up Siren
Back Up Battery
Back Up Alarm
Decoy Alarm
Quick Release Wheel
7 Kill Switches (ignition, fuel, injectors, spark)
Removable ECU
Door Dead Bolt
Hatch Dead Bolt
Remove Fuses
Remove Relays
Wheel Locks
Park In Garage
Other Car In Driveway in Front of Garage

They're not getting my car
Old 04-20-2005, 10:23 PM

Default Re: (clutcher)

haha. what's the address to this place. the street, city, and state?
Old 04-20-2005, 10:43 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: How is everyone getting their car stolen? (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alarm
Back Up Siren
Back Up Battery
Back Up Alarm
Decoy Alarm
Quick Release Wheel
7 Kill Switches (ignition, fuel, injectors, spark)
Removable ECU
Door Dead Bolt
Hatch Dead Bolt
Remove Fuses
Remove Relays
Wheel Locks
Park In Garage
Other Car In Driveway in Front of Garage

They're not getting my car</TD></TR></TABLE>

good ****

Quick Reply: How is everyone getting their car stolen?