Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to drain coolant...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to drain coolant...

Never have done it before, so don't mind the noobish question, but i have been searching, so please bare with me

So far from what i have gathered is the plug at the bottom of the radiator needs to be removed to drain. No worries there.

Some say to remove the drain bolt on the block, and some say just removing the rad plug would be fine.

So let's say i just remove the radiator plug at the bottom. While draining, does the cap need to be on or off?

Once no more drains out, i close up the plug, but do i then let the car run while filling the coolant and having the heater on, or can the car be off while filling?

Does it matter that my heater itself doesn't work?

I really appreciate the help
Old 05-05-2010, 06:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: How to drain coolant...

Just do the radiator, the new coolant will overtake whats in the block. You need the top cap off so the coolant can flow correctly out of the bottom, disconnect all the hoses to the radiator and replace if too loose, stretched or cracked. Once drained, shoot hose down radiator and up it from the bottom, use radiator flush also (not needed, preferable though). Fill it off, you'll blow your engine if you do it with it on, that's fairly obvious.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It'll be fine if you only drain the radiator, just not all of the old coolant in the block will be out.
Take the radiator cap off while draining.
I usually do the rear drain bolt on the block as well, I don't know how it is on all the other engines but on my Z6 I have to wrestle my way up from under the car to get to the bolt annoyingly hidden under the intake manifold and above the oil filter.
I always fill it up with the car off and the bleeder valve on the upper rad hose cracked open until I see a steady stream of coolant. Then let the car warm up and run at operating temp for a little, shut it off and let it cool back down then I recheck the coolant level and add/bleed as necessary.
Checking every coolant hose is a good idea too.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:39 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Here you go. It was made just for you :D

http://www.mishimoto.com/how-to-guid...n-coolant.html