How does this CEL Adaptor work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 10:35 PM
I love to drive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does this CEL Adaptor work?

Has anyone installed this?

http://inlinefour.com/blcelelad.htm

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by inlinefour.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Got a Check Engine Light? This BLOX Cel eliminator will gap out your o2 sensor from your catalytic converter, header, or test pipe. Having more exhaust flow through your o2 has a hard time to get a correct reading thus throwing a CEL code. Gapping it will help give it more space to have a proper reading. Let that test pipe or high flow cat be more effective by using this!</TD></TR></TABLE>

How does adding space between the o2 sensor and the bung not cause a CEL?
Old 12-17-2007, 10:59 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: How does this CEL Adaptor work? (Ghetto Civic HX)

that tiny hole doesn't let all of the raw gasses enter it and so the o2 sensor thinks there is less raw gas fumes, pretty much in a nutshell
Old 12-18-2007, 02:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How does this CEL Adaptor work? (n1_egsex)

you can do the same thing for like four bucks with a spark plug anti-fouler (i think thats what they're called) in the help section at autozone. you screw two of them together, drill a small hole to bore out the original hole in the piece, and install.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:13 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: How does this CEL Adaptor work? (Ghetto Civic HX)

If you have an HX I'd almost gurantee that won't work on your car.

Why are you interested? Do you have a check engine light on your car throwing codes?
Old 12-18-2007, 05:34 AM

Default Re: How does this CEL Adaptor work? (B18C5-EH2)

People are using those to run headers on K-series all the time.

n1_egsex already pretty much nailed it. Its put on the 2nd o2 sensor in an OBD II system when you've removed the cat.

The 2nd O2s job is to make sure the cat is working so, it wants to see less oxygen in the exhaust stream than the 1st one is seeing.

The adapter pictured keeps the 2nd O2 from seeing all of the exhaust, thus its sees less oxygen, thus it thinks that the cat is working.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:53 AM
I love to drive

Default Re: How does this CEL Adaptor work? (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you have an HX I'd almost gurantee that won't work on your car.

Why are you interested? Do you have a check engine light on your car throwing codes?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've already learned the hard way that it's not worth trying to mod an HX in California and keep it smog legal

It just seems like one of those devices that's too good to be true. I guess I didn't fully understand how the second o2 "sensed" the exhaust. I thought it somehow measured the contents of the gases passing through it. But this makes me think it just measures the volume of gas passing by.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

The Blox overpriced version of the anti-fouler trick. It works by limiting the amount of gases to enter the chamber where the O2 filiment resides. Which makes the ECU see that there is a difference between the primary O2 and secondary readings, which looks liek the cat is in place and working.

It works for a secondary O2, but only when running no cat.
The HX shouldn't be any different, it uses a standard four wire O2 in the secondary O2 location. Visual inspection it will fail quickly though, it's really obvious when it's there.

NOTE: if your O2 is bad it will still set the CEL.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:34 AM

Default Good O2 explanation

For reference, here's a good explanation of how O2 sensors (standard Zirconia-based) work here:

http://www.sparkplugs.com/spar...fid=0

It measures the amount of Oxygen passing through (or the charge is created by the amount of O2 passing thorough) So, if you partially remove it from the steady stream of gas in the exhaust, the volume does make a difference in the reading (especially compared to the pre-cat O2 sensor.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here check this:
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/ind...lator

Its on an s2k but same deal. Alot cheaper too!
Old 12-19-2007, 10:17 AM
I love to drive

Default Re: (Malakai)

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not personally looking into getting one because I'm running a stock exhaust manifold.

I just noticed it while browsing online and it seemed too simple to really work. It seemed unlikely there could be both an electrical (o2 sim) and mechanical (this thing) solution to getting rid of a CEL for secondary o2.

Anyway, thanks again for all the helpful info