Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how do you remove paint from a side skirt?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you remove paint from a side skirt?

I have one painted side skirt and one plastic black side skirt ( un-painted) I want them both to have the unpainted look, how can I remove the paint from the painted side skirt?
Old 03-29-2009, 05:33 PM
New User

Default Re: how do you remove paint from a side skirt?

Aircraft remover and a blade let the aircraft remover sit for about 10 minutes then scrape it off. Thats how i did it turned out fine just dont dig the blade into the plastic. Might be easier ways to do it but thats just how i did it gl
Old 03-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Theres Aircraft remover, but it would eat that plastic up. If not it will possibly mess up the texture of it and not look as clean as the unpainted one.

I think your best bet is to locate another unpainted one.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ever heard of this thing called a sanding block and sand paper?
I just bought some for my side skirts. Funny . . . .one of mine is painted and one is not. LOL .

Last edited by courtney42; 03-30-2009 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think the cost for a set of side skirts would be less than the work to remove that paint lmao.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by courtney42
ever heard of this thing called a sanding block and sand paper?
I just bought some for my side skirts. Funny . . . .one of mine is painted and one is not. LOL your a looser.
And YOU'RE a dick with improper grammar. The OP was simply asking a question, and there was no reason to respond with ignorance. Ever heard of this thing called grade 9 english? Funny, they teach you how to write your sentences properly.

Also, if you're going to to give advice on sanding, at least specifiy which grit would work best. Not everyone knows that.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sup man. I messed up on painting my front and back lip, but what i did after that is sanding it down with 250 grit then 350. You can then use 500 then 1000-1500 grit to get it more smooth. I would recommend wet sandpapers because it gives you more use than regular, while applying water. After about 10-15 minutes of each stage (grit), most of the clear coats should come off plus some of the base coat. then my suggestion is to wipe it down and let it air dry. After it dries, just apply primer to it, you'll have both piece back to normal, just take some time. hope this helps. I say it'll cost you no more than $10-20. $5-10 on sandpaper and about $5-10 on primer
Old 03-30-2009, 01:11 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I would recommend you just buy another unpainted sideskirt if you want two unpainted ones.

The unpainted skirts have a rough finish to them and stripping paint and sanding them will remove this finish.

Sideskirts for coupes and hatches are all the same. It won't be too hard to find some for cheap.

Try car-part.com Leave out the location drop box and then tell it to order them by distance.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just paint them with trim paint.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SOHC_civic_si
And YOU'RE a dick with improper grammar. The OP was simply asking a question, and there was no reason to respond with ignorance. Ever heard of this thing called grade 9 english? Funny, they teach you how to write your sentences properly.

Also, if you're going to to give advice on sanding, at least specifiy which grit would work best. Not everyone knows that.
LOLOL
Ease up on the grammar **** tactics. Calm down it's the internets. Maybe the loser comment was overboard [edited post] but come on , We have a search button and a whole section dedicated to paint topics. The question in general was a headslap "Doh" moment anyway.

@BoostedH,
check out the paint section of the forum man. I have been learning allot reading over there. All you need to know is in that section. Look at the FaQ thread.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by john666
just paint them with trim paint.
Second

Air craft remover screws up the color and texture of plastic. I say sand both so that the texture is the same at least.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mineral spirits(liquid) takes paint off
Old 03-30-2009, 06:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

omg i can't believe the ridiculousness of this thread. lets sum this up real quick. (coming from someone who paints)

What you are trying to accomplish

You have 1 painted and 1 unpainted side skirt...

Aircraft Paint Remover will DESTROY the side skirt... ever get that **** on your hands? two minutes and it's burning. You aren't even supposed to let that stuff sit on metal too long or you will have a hole in what ever you are working on.

next on the list... buy new ones. really if you give your self a couple hours you can have those old side skirts back to black with out dropping too much money.

block sanding... this in theory is the way to do it. how ever as NOFX pointed out, our side skirts have a rough finish. now unless you plan to block sand (you would want to use 320-400ish grit paper) both side skirts completely smooth its going to look silly having one kind of rough and one smooth side skirt :/

mineral spirits may work... but really this would take alot of time. i would probably take a green scuff pad. get it wet with mineral spirits and go to town on the side skirt. you only have to make the paint that's on there dull. the new paint won't adhere to shiny paint. if it's dull that means its good to paint over. i don't recommend as someone said on here to sand up to 1000 grit before painting because its too fine of a grit. that's more of a wet sand/buff sand paper grit.

so green scuff pad + mineral spirits = dull looking side skirts (do both of them)

then -> get some primer sealer and spray both of them (try your best not to get any runs you want complete coverage but even)

then -> once its dry spray them black and hurray you have black side skirts. (i would use a flat black)
Old 03-30-2009, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

x2
Old 03-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think im just going to track down a pair of un-painted side skirts. Thanks everyone for the imput..