Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How do you know when its time for a new clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you know when its time for a new clutch?

Ive been drving around recently and I've noticed that my clutch engagement point when i push the pedal is very "close" to the top. What I mean is that I dont have to push in the clutch very far for it to disengage ( like only about 1 inch of travel).

Now I'm not sure but I think this means my clutch is wearing out. It is a stock clutch btw, but i do drive it hard sometimes? It doesnt slip at all.

How do you know when its time to get a new one?
Old 01-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: How do you know when its time for a new clutch? (Honda_b16a2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda_b16a2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How do you know when its time to get a new one?</TD></TR></TABLE>

For me, it was when it exploded and locked up the transmission. I really don't see any reason to replace it sooner than that. If it grips and it doesn't make horrible noises, you're golden.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Re: How do you know when its time for a new clutch? (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda_b16a2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ive been drving around recently and I've noticed that my clutch engagement point when i push the pedal is very "close" to the top. What I mean is that I dont have to push in the clutch very far for it to disengage ( like only about 1 inch of travel).

Now I'm not sure but I think this means my clutch is wearing out. It is a stock clutch btw, but i do drive it hard sometimes? It doesnt slip at all.

How do you know when its time to get a new one?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well i was just worried because there wasn't alot of room from when I hit the pedal and it acually disengages
Old 01-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

b16a2 stock clutches suck. my si clutch was replaced a while ago and i'm glad it happened, no more slipping. but if its not slipping then i wouldnt worry about it
Old 01-02-2005, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you know when its time for a new clutch? (8krdline)

Get on a steep hill. Put car in 4th gear. Try to take off. If the car just revs up, time for a new clutch. If the car dies, you're good to go.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda_b16a2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

When does it acually start slipping?, you mean like I'll rev up and I wont go anywere?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, it'll do it in higher gears first (where you produce the most torque). Eventually you won't be able to move at all.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda_b16a2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How do you know when its time to get a new one?</TD></TR></TABLE>

when you have to ask this question, its time to get a new clutch.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Re: How do you know when its time for a new clutch? (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get on a steep hill. Put car in 4th gear. Try to take off. If the car just revs up, time for a new clutch. If the car dies, you're good to go.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmmmm..sounds right thanks guys..

If I get a new clutch would you guys recomend getting a new flywheel as well?
I also heard better clutchs grab harder but they dont last as long... is this true?
Old 01-02-2005, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no, just get yours resurfaced. you dont need to replace it unless you want to upgrade.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you know when its time for a new clutch? (Kamin)

a lighten flywheel is a nice upgrade while you are at it.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: How do you know when its time for a new clutch? (handa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by handa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a lighten flywheel is a nice upgrade while you are at it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

But is the loss of torque noticible?
Old 01-02-2005, 06:27 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda_b16a2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

But is the loss of torque noticible? </TD></TR></TABLE>

what torque?

makes for rev matching much nicer also

You can pick up a FIdanze flywheel for pretty cheap these days also
Old 01-02-2005, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But is the loss of torque noticible? </TD></TR></TABLE>

honestly with my fidanza flywheel i didnt notice a loss of anything. 1st gears tachs up quicker but i didnt feel any loss of torque. i guess u need torque in order to feel the loss
Old 01-02-2005, 07:12 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get on a steep hill. Put car in 4th gear. Try to take off. If the car just revs up, time for a new clutch. If the car dies, you're good to go.</TD></TR></TABLE>

are you serious??
Old 01-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you know when its time for a new clutch? (civictildeath)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civictildeath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

are you serious??</TD></TR></TABLE>

As a heart attack.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Re: How do you know when its time for a new clutch? (8krdline)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 8krdline &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

honestly with my fidanza flywheel i didnt notice a loss of anything. 1st gears tachs up quicker but i didnt feel any loss of torque. i guess u need torque in order to feel the loss</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL
Old 01-10-2005, 01:53 PM

I checked to see if my clutch was going bad today. I went to the steeper part of my hill, put the clutch in, stopped, put it into 5th, reved a bit, let off the clutch and tried to go forward. The engine died but didn't lurch foward or anything. Does this mean my clutch is fine or pretty close from going but not quite yet?
Old 01-10-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Re: How do you know when its time for a new clutch? (93egSIboi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egSIboi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I checked to see if my clutch was going bad today. I went to the steeper part of my hill, put the clutch in, stopped, put it into 5th, reved a bit, let off the clutch and tried to go forward. The engine died but didn't lurch foward or anything. Does this mean my clutch is fine or pretty close from going but not quite yet?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If your car died that means the clutch provides enough grip between the transmission and engine so that when your car is in gear, but the wheels not turning, the motor will stall. If you have grip, your clutch is doing exactly what it should.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you know when its time for a new clutch? (97dxnut)

most civics i know have a high engagement point on the pedal. if you want, you could get a better pressure plate, it should help. also please dont upgrade to a race clutch if you dont need it. oem is best.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i was just worried because there wasn't alot of room from when I hit the pedal and it acually disengages</TD></TR></TABLE>
im going threw similar issues with my integra... if you look under the dash, and see behind the clutch pedal, where it goes into the clutch master cly.. they'res a rod, you can adjust to make the rod stick out further, so your throw isn't that long. i adjusted it, and now its right in the middle (engagement), but i still think i need a new clutch.

it has NEVER slipped, and i can bark tires, but it seams to me, at 4K RPM it locks me out of gear... and anything higher than that. i have to shift at liek 2500, or 3K for it to slide right in.

Syncro's are good, fluid is level, and im using GM syncromesh... i never grind a gear... just lock out.. so im thinking the clutch disk isn't slowing down.

the pedal is very stiff.. like my civic with a stage 3 clutch.. but this is OEM.. and shoudln't be that hard. so i think my next step is a clutch.. but nothing is really telling me is deffenetly that.