Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How do you know if a tranny has LSD??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you know if a tranny has LSD??

I'm looking at a b16 tranny later today, and the guy says he thinks it has a factory LSD, but he doesn't really know. Is there anyway to tell or something that I look for to see if indeed it does have an LSD without opening up the tranny?
Also how can you tell what tranny it is because he says it doesn't have the sticker with the code on it.
Any help would be great!
Old 01-24-2007, 09:01 AM

well when you are making sharp turns at low speeds you should be able to tell because the outer wheel will hop because its taking a wider turning radius than the outer wheel and also if you are familiar with the feel of lsd at launch you should be able to tell. If there are two black marks at launch there is lsd. i don't think the regular b16's came with lsd from the factory and only the b16b's out of the type R came with oem lsd. I know because my b16b has oem lsd.
hope this has helped
Old 01-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (vtec4lyfe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec4lyfe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well when you are making sharp turns at low speeds you should be able to tell because the outer wheel will hop because its taking a wider turning radius than the outer wheel and also if you are familiar with the feel of lsd at launch you should be able to tell. If there are two black marks at launch there is lsd. i don't think the regular b16's came with lsd from the factory and only the b16b's out of the type R came with oem lsd. I know because my b16b has oem lsd.
hope this has helped</TD></TR></TABLE>

WTF? ARE YOU SERIUS?!

first off if the tranny is to a jdm b16a, they were optional, so yes they are out there. type r's weren't the only one.

second, taking corners fast is not how you tell if a tranny has LSD, atleast not on honda's.

to the op, being that you are going to see the tranny, i'm taking it, it is already outside of the car. i want you to look where the axles will go. if you can see straight through, then it is a LSD tranny. if it has a pin or bar running through it and you are unable to see through, then NO, it is not a LSD tranny.

besides opening up the tranny, this is the only way to tell if a b-series tranny has LSD or not.

come on people, get your facts straight!
Old 01-24-2007, 09:08 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec4lyfe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well when you are making sharp turns at low speeds you should be able to tell because the outer wheel will hop because its taking a wider turning radius than the outer wheel and also if you are familiar with the feel of lsd at launch you should be able to tell. If there are two black marks at launch there is lsd. i don't think the regular b16's came with lsd from the factory and only the b16b's out of the type R came with oem lsd. I know because my b16b has oem lsd.
hope this has helped</TD></TR></TABLE>
Well I'm only looking at the tranny because its out of the car already, so there's no way to test it out. And from what i've heard, some b16a's came with an optional oem lsd like the sir2. Is there anything I can look at on the tranny to see if it really does have the LSD?
Old 01-24-2007, 09:09 AM

Default Re: (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">WTF? ARE YOU SERIUS?!

first off if the tranny is to a jdm b16a, they were optional, so yes they are out there. type r's weren't the only one.

second, taking corners fast is not how you tell if a tranny has LSD, atleast not on honda's.

to the op, being that you are going to see the tranny, i'm taking it, it is already outside of the car. i want you to look where the axles will go. if you can see straight through, then it is a LSD tranny. if it has a pin or bar running through it and you are unable to see through, then NO, it is not a LSD tranny.

besides opening up the tranny, this is the only way to tell if a b-series tranny has LSD or not.

come on people, get your facts straight!</TD></TR></TABLE>
cooool! thanks for the help
Old 01-24-2007, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.ff-squad.com/technet/how-to/lsdcheck/
Old 01-24-2007, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If the trans is out of the car look throught where the cvs would be attached. If you see a rod running through the middle of the diff then it is non lsd. if you can see straight through then you have an lsd in there for the most part the case should also be stamped with lsd on it.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You do a search on the billion and one guides to check to see if you have LSD.

You aren't the first person to ask this question.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (instructor74)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instructor74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the trans is out of the car look throught where the cvs would be attached. If you see a rod running through the middle of the diff then it is non lsd. if you can see straight through then you have an lsd in there for the most part the case should also be stamped with lsd on it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

already been covered. and the failure to rely on the stamp is they wash or rub off. many of the jdm engines coming here (U.S) don't have the stamp, but they sometimes have the label stating what type of tranny it is, but once again, it is not the best way to distinguish it since labels can fall off too.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:24 AM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You do a search on the billion and one guides to check to see if you have LSD.

You aren't the first person to ask this question.</TD></TR></TABLE>
How about you keep your post count down by not posting comments that don't even help out the situation.

And to everyone else, thanks for all the help
Old 01-24-2007, 09:29 AM

philosofy1

if you read again i said take a corner at low speeds...

I was trying to help in in a way that he would understand because it seems he is fairly new to Honda transmissions, don't have to jump on me man.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec4lyfe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">philosofy1

if you read again i said take a corner at low speeds...

I was trying to help in in a way that he would understand because it seems he is fairly new to Honda transmissions, don't have to jump on me man.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry, just alittle edgy, but that is not how you distinguish a LSD tranny.
i just try to get the truth out, if i don't know it, i won't post it.