Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How do you install a shortshifters???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How do you install a shortshifters???

like the title says, how do you install a shortshifter, i already did a search and found nothing. can anyone give me a link to a site or tell me how to install one?? any help would help alot. Thanx
Old 11-19-2002, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How do you install a shortshifters??? (Luserkid)

What car are we talking about here?
Old 11-19-2002, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: How do you install a shortshifters??? (SILINITY16)

93 Civic Dx
Old 11-19-2002, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

first you need to aquire common sense.. then buy some tools... then take it apart using your common sense... install the short shifter and bushing (if you have them) then install it the same way you took it apart
Old 11-19-2002, 12:08 PM

Default Re: How do you install a shortshifters??? (B16A EH2)

first you need to aquire common sense.. then buy some tools... then take it apart using your common sense... install the short shifter and bushing (if you have them) then install it the same way you took it apart
hahaha
most people have problems with the first step
Old 11-19-2002, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you install a shortshifters??? (Anubis44)

word
Old 11-19-2002, 12:20 PM

1st you are going to have to remove your center console to get the shift boot off. Next you are going to have to remove the boot under there. Next you will have to raise the car and un bolt both shift linkages from the original shifter. If the exhaust is in your way you are going to have to unbolt it. There is going to be a heat shield down there near the shifter. It's up to you to keep it or not. After you have removed your bolts to the shift linkages and I think there is 1 or 2 more other bolts that you have to remove. You will know it when you see it. After the shifter is out then you remove the shifter from the rubber bushing. Get your new shifter ready to go. You have to lubricate the ball before you install it to the bushing. Use wheel bearing grease for that. After that is done, install the new shifter in reverse order of what you removed it.

When you are done, if your shifter is too close to your exhaust, when you go to shift, the shifter will hit the exhaust. You may have to make some custom fabrications to your exhaust. Your problem is going to be that hanger by the shifter. The exhaust is probably going to sit too high. If you want, you can remove the hanger and you can mount it somewhere else(welding) or you can just let exhaust hang. I wouldn't reccomend that. I relocated my hanger when I did it. Before you put everything back together make sure you have the shifter has enogh clearance from the exhaust.

After all of that is done, lower the car and put everything up top back together. When you are done, sit there for a while and just move the shifter around so that the grease can get all around the ball and bushing. Shift it a few times and get adjusted, because chances are that shifter is going to be a lot closer than stock. I know mine was.

Finally, start it up and shift some more a few times and then you are ready to go. You really shouldn't need these directions, I didn't. This is a mod that requires one simple thing.

C-O-M-M-O-N S-E-N-S-E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Modified by SILINITY16, 4:22 PM 11/19/2002]

[Modified by SILINITY16, 4:23 PM 11/19/2002]