Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how do i use EASY-OUT??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how do i use EASY-OUT??

i drilled a hole on the bolt and placed the easy out bit inside the hole.

what do i use to grip on to the easy out and take it out?
Old 06-23-2004, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: how do i use EASY-OUT?? (thrty8street)

What is that?And whats it use?
Ive never seen it.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: how do i use EASY-OUT?? (Skip01)

I bet you could fit a socket on the top of it, if not im more the likely a Cresant wrench and just twist it out. Didnt it come with instructions?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Skip01 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is that?And whats it use?
Ive never seen it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

When you get a bolt stuck in something and cant get it out you could use this tool and it helps you take it out. Kind of like drilling the broken bolt out.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how do i use EASY-OUT?? (Skip01)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Skip01 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is that?And whats it use?
Ive never seen it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its a drill bit with reverse thread to take out stripped bolts/screws.

As for how to use them, drill the correct size whole with a regular drill bit according to the chart that comes with the easy out. Drill in the center of the bolt straight in. Then use the easy out drill bit with the drill put in the reverse direction to loosen the bolt. Thats how I did it. Hope this helps!
Old 06-23-2004, 08:23 PM

i bought a set of the craftsmens EZ outs the other day....snapped the head off the bolt in my flange puttin on my N1 axle back...so started on the backside and broke the head off the bolt on that side too....and then I had just the threaded bolt part sticking out and none of the sizes could get it out so had the shop quick do it for $30
Old 06-23-2004, 08:29 PM

Default Re: (zm_dawg)

ONE word. SHOP&gt; let the professional do it. Yes I tried that tool on my suspension bolt on my other civic that I sold...wasted a lot of time and money. ..so do yourself a favor...go to the shop..let the professional do it.

or for the easy bolts...what I do is drill/make a deep like and use a flat head screw driver and twist that bisch out (for non-rusted bolts.. )
Old 06-23-2004, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SkyLinER)

what shop should i go to?
Old 06-23-2004, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thrty8street)

i tried putting it on my drill and it just slides and doesn catch grip
Old 06-23-2004, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

line that ****** up with the hole, give it a few taps with a hammer to put it in there, then get a wrench and put it on the end of the ez out, and turn that **** counterclockwise. should come right out
Old 06-23-2004, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blackeg)

Cool lil device.good luck.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blackeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">line that ****** up with the hole, give it a few taps with a hammer to put it in there, then get a wrench and put it on the end of the ez out, and turn that **** counterclockwise. should come right out</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly WHAT wrench, the opposite end of the easy out is tiny as hell, not to mention square. i couldnt image what wrench could fit there.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:42 AM

A socket or extension doesn't work? If not use vice grips on the end.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:52 AM
H-T Order of Merit

no, no. Don't use a drill/driver, socket or a vise-grip plier. None of those are the right tool. The correct tool is called a Tap Handle or Tap Wrench. It has a special cut out that clamps onto the square end of the easy-out. It's the same tool you would use to hold a tap when tapping a hole. Sears sells them and any machinest supply store. There are a couple different sizes so make sure you buy the one that fits the tap ot easy-out your using.

As for how to use it. You drill the correct size hole for the easy-out your using and then use the easy-out in the same manner your would a normal tap, just turn it the opposite way. The easy-out will screw itself into the hole partway and then then stop, cause the screw to now turn and back out of the hole. Just make sure you don't break that easy-out, it will makes thing even worse if you do.

Hope this helps.

Edit:
Here's a picture off of the Craftsman website. It can be found under Mechanics Tools then under Tap & Dies. There is a lot of sets but you will see a couple listed on like the second page if I remember correctly.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TouringAccord)

yea it helped alot it sounds like you know what your doing unlike some other people on here. thanks man
Old 06-24-2004, 08:58 AM
H-T Order of Merit

no problem. Glad I could help. I do design work at a machine shop so that helps. If you need anymore help just ask.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i tried but the bit broke off, im just gonna have a shop do it if they can. anyone know any places? anyone know how much its gonna cost?
Old 06-25-2004, 03:14 AM
H-T Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thrty8street &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i tried but the bit broke off, im just gonna have a shop do it if they can. anyone know any places? anyone know how much its gonna cost?</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry to hear that, I was afraid that might happen. Look in your phone book for any auto part stores that have a machine shop (not real likely though) or look for just any regular machine shop. Any machine shop should be able to remove it. If you can't find a machine shop in the phone book try calling a parts store and ask them if they can recommend a good machine shop. You could probably call one of your local machanics and ask them where they take their machine shop work to. As for cost, it probably going to depend on how hard it is for them to remove. If they break two drill bits doing it they might charge you more than if they didn't break any. But your probably looking at about $20-30, don't quote me on that it's just a quess. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:52 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TouringAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no, no. Don't use a drill/driver, socket or a vise-grip plier. None of those are the right tool. The correct tool is called a Tap Handle or Tap Wrench. It has a special cut out that clamps onto the square end of the easy-out. It's the same tool you would use to hold a tap when tapping a hole. Sears sells them and any machinest supply store. There are a couple different sizes so make sure you buy the one that fits the tap ot easy-out your using.

As for how to use it. You drill the correct size hole for the easy-out your using and then use the easy-out in the same manner your would a normal tap, just turn it the opposite way. The easy-out will screw itself into the hole partway and then then stop, cause the screw to now turn and back out of the hole. Just make sure you don't break that easy-out, it will makes thing even worse if you do.

Hope this helps.

Edit:
Here's a picture off of the Craftsman website. It can be found under Mechanics Tools then under Tap & Dies. There is a lot of sets but you will see a couple listed on like the second page if I remember correctly.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

true that. you definently can't use the easy out with a drill gun. all it is going to do it rip up the metal of the bolt. pretty much the easy out is gonna most likely **** a little to one side of the bolt, they it is gonna grab. I use them as the bike shop all the time.