Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How do I tell when my ecu transitions from open loop to closed loop?

Old 09-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I tell when my ecu transitions from open loop to closed loop?

If I have my terminology correct, a cold engine runs in open loop, and when warmed up it runs in closed loop. How do I tell when (and if) it has switched from open to closed? Is it possible it could stay in open loop all the time without setting a code and turning on the CEL?
Old 09-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: How do I tell when my ecu transitions from open loop to closed loop?

Originally Posted by r berq
If I have my terminology correct, a cold engine runs in open loop, and when warmed up it runs in closed loop.
Correct, partially.

How do I tell when (and if) it has switched from open to closed?
You must mention car/engine details for all tech threads.

Is it possible it could stay in open loop all the time without setting a code and turning on the CEL?
Yes
Old 09-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do I tell when my ecu transitions from open loop to closed loop?

Sorry. 98 Civic EX 4-door sedan D16Y8 engine.

So if it MIGHT stay in open loop all the time, how do I tell which mode it is in at any given time?
Old 09-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it prob would set off a cell after a start-up or two. Do you think its in closed loop all the time? bad fuel eco?

Coolant temp sensor is where id look first. find out its could voltage and its hot and Multi-meter it.

Will the idle change after it warms up?
Old 09-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I suspect it might be staying in open loop all the time, even after warmup. Idle does not change after warmup. Idle is appropriate for whatever temperature the engine is at startup, then stays at that RPM even after warmup. I have checked the coolant temp sensor with an ohmmeter and it is accurate per the graph in the shop manual. What I have NOT done is check the coolant temp sensor at the ECU.

So, is there a straightforward way without a ten-million-dollar scan tool, to tell which mode it is in?
Old 09-19-2012, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why do you think your engine runs in open loop all the time?

It's most easily tested with a scan tool. I have an Actron CP9180 that reads live data, including whether the system is closed or open.

It's a pretty inexpensive purchase on eBay if purchased used:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=CP9180&_sacat =0
Old 09-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As THC07 asked, idle speed does not change after warm up, which led me to wonder if that could be a closed loop vs. open loop issue. I'm just theorizing, since I don't KNOW if that is how the Civic ecu would act.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Actron scan tool via eBay. It's time I bought some such tool, but I didn't want to lay out big bucks on it and obviously I want something that will be useful with my two Hondas.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does the temp gauge in the cluster indicate that the engine is reaching normal operating temp?
Old 09-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hertz test injectors, if pulse width dont change its stuck in closed loop.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

closed loop fueling will use o2 sensor feedback to target stoich 14.7 AFR to acheive best fuel economy

After the transition to open loop is when the ECU uses known values +total corrections to establish its fueling.

So when your AFR is either 14.7 or the sensor voltage is consistent of stoich AFR you will then know that you are most likely in closed loop fueling. AFR's will richen up due to load increase, throttle, ect. When this occurs you can assume you have entered open loop fueling.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by beecee18
closed loop fueling will use o2 sensor feedback to target stoich 14.7 AFR to acheive best fuel economy

After the transition to open loop is when the ECU uses known values +total corrections to establish its fueling.

So when your AFR is either 14.7 or the sensor voltage is consistent of stoich AFR you will then know that you are most likely in closed loop fueling. AFR's will richen up due to load increase, throttle, ect. When this occurs you can assume you have entered open loop fueling.
The scan tool I recommended to the OP simplifies this procedure further because it actually displays OPEN or CLOSED (live data) depending on which loop the ECU is in.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

RonJ, to answer your question, Yes, the dashboard gauge indicates proper temperature.

I was under the impression that once the engine warmed up, the ecu went to closed loop and stayed there. From what several of you are saying, it sounds like it can switch back and forth between the two modes even after warm up. Correct?
Old 09-20-2012, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by r berq
RonJ, to answer your question, Yes, the dashboard gauge indicates proper temperature.

I was under the impression that once the engine warmed up, the ecu went to closed loop and stayed there. From what several of you are saying, it sounds like it can switch back and forth between the two modes even after warm up. Correct?
Correct. Closed loop can only occur when the engine is fully warmed up. At this time, closed loop is used only when cruising at constant speed or only very slight acceleration. With fast acceleration or deceleration at closed throttle, open loop is used.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by beecee18

you cant monitor stoichiometric with a Narrow band can you?
I dont even think a good scanner will show you anything accurate, even the live data scanners. Unless the OP had a Wideband im not sure if he could monitor this.
think all the scanner will do is say open or closed, back n forth back n forth with load changes.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by THC07
think all the scanner will do is say open or closed, back n forth back n forth with load changes.
Correct, which will reflect the truth for what the OP is seeking.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by THC07
you cant monitor stoichiometric with a Narrow band can you?
No, not with any degree of accuracy.

If the car is in open loop all the time, you won't ever hear the idle drop to a lull rpm unless someone has tweaked the idle screw to make it idle normally. On cold starts, your car will rev up and gradually as it heats up, the idle will drop until the car reaches operating temperature and the idle will fall into its closed loop position and adjust itself by way of the 02 sensors. Until you're in closed loop, the car doesn't self-regulate with the 02 and can get bad gas mileage as a result.

The typical "performance" chip from eBay tricks your car into staying in open loop all the time. I dont know what is done to the car, but if someone else modified it, this could potentially be the culprit.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Trial User

find some one with a quality scan tool/scanner that reads engine specs, it'll tell you

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 09-20-2012, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 96EK_JON
find some one with a quality scan tool/scanner that reads engine specs, it'll tell you

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
You mean PID's
Old 03-20-2013, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you checked the idle air control valve? I have a 98 hatch with a stock y8 swap. had a similar problem- no cel, ran like crap, poor fuel economy. Cleaned out the valve and ran waaay better
Old 03-20-2013, 03:37 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you noticed the threads is dead? I would hope he got it fixed by now.