Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How do I take the crank pully off the engine out of the car?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 12:14 PM
GPoodle

Default How do I take the crank pully off the engine out of the car?!

Ive got an OEM 1.7lb crank pully (just alternator) and a new timing belt I'd like to put on the engine before its in the car and was wondering how the hell your supposed to loosen the ~140lbs of torque on the bolt without the engine turning? I've tried an impact wrench allready which did nothing, and wanna try a 5ft pole I have in my garage =D

Thx
-j
Old 09-17-2003, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahh... theres a little trick for this, i've never tried it but i remember reading it somewhere, it involved pushing a bolt through the pulley wheel which would hit a strong place on the block, something like that anyway - it may have been a bracket of some sort holding it still. I'm sure someone will post the method in more detail, it was really simple...
Old 09-17-2003, 12:21 PM

stronger impact gun or a more ballsy compressor, whichever is the weak link.
Or hold the flywheel and use a breaker bar. maybe a strap wrench.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:42 PM

Default Re: How do I take the crank pully off the engine out of the car?! (GPoodle)

Monroso makes a tool to take off crankpullys there could be other companies too but im not completly sure. Also is your tranny off cause if it is you could just stick a flathead screwdriver in the flywheel teeth and make the flathead brace against the block and that would keep it from spinning but im not sure about putting the bolt in the crankpully. Or like someone else already stated more air pressure would do the trick.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:56 PM
GPoodle

Default Re: How do I take the crank pully off the engine out of the car?! (GPoodle)

I'm at school now, but I'll check to see if theres a place I could put a bolt through on the pully. I tried taking off the lower timing belt cover but theres a bolt that you cant pull out without taking the crank pully off.

And the tranny isnt off yet, its still on a pallet in my garage. Tomarrow night I'm bringing home a hydro cherry picker from my shop so I'll have it off then (putting in an ITR flywheel so its gotta come off anyway) and see where I could wedge a screwdriver.

Thanks for the tips though; much appreciated.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:56 AM

just make sure you dont go breaking the bell housing on your motor if u wedge it anywhere try for the bottom it dosent meet up with anything exept for the little cover they put on there u could take off the plate and wedge somthing in there just make sure you don't break anything. If you did break off a little piece it shouldnt hurt to much you could throw some j/b weld up on there.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:13 AM

try spraying the bolt down the pb blaster or some other type of penetrating oil, and hitting it with the impact wrench again.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:14 AM

Default Re: (jerseybrandon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jerseybrandon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stronger impact gun or a more ballsy compressor, whichever is the weak link.
Or hold the flywheel and use a breaker bar. maybe a strap wrench.</TD></TR></TABLE>

3/4in impact
Old 09-18-2003, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

impact wrench or impact gun ? try using a 1/2" drive impact gun, electric or air. i bought a 1/2" drive electric impact gun, with lots of torque @ home depot and it worked fine.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:47 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jerseybrandon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stronger impact gun or a more ballsy compressor, whichever is the weak link.
Or hold the flywheel and use a breaker bar. maybe a strap wrench.</TD></TR></TABLE>
You need a breaker bar...a long one...and one of these .
My 450 ftlb impact gun didn't touch my pulley.
A stronger compressor wouldn't do anything because most air tools operate @90psi
Old 09-18-2003, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do I take the crank pully off the engine out of the car?! (NaughtyKnight666)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NaughtyKnight666 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Monroso makes a tool to take off crankpullys there could be other companies too but im not completly sure. .</TD></TR></TABLE>
i knew it. i read about that once a while ago in a magazine. when i was having trouble getting mine off a couple months ago, i went to every auto store around and when i asked for it they looked at me like i was a moron. anyone used that tool before?
Old 09-18-2003, 01:05 PM

Default Re: How do I take the crank pully off the engine out of the car?! (R you serious)

yeah, they are bad ***! With the motor on the ground, you just put that hex head in the pulley and let it stop against the ground. You can stand up and push against it with a breaker bar.

those Moroso Pulley Wrenches can be picked up anywhere that carries moroso parts. Tell them you need to order Moroso part number 61805
Old 09-18-2003, 01:13 PM

Default Re: How do I take the crank pully off the engine out of the car?! (R you serious)

Yup, that is one great tool. You can get one from summit racing, and they have pretty fast shipping. The other thing I have seen people do is if they have the tranny off, they took a piece of metal and bolted the flywheel to the block so it wouldn't move. But that tool from moroso is one great investment.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do I take the crank pully off the engine out of the car?! (youngkow)

uh, why odnt you just go buy a pulley chain.. Its a chain that is a attached to a big bar.. you wrap it around teh pulley, hold it tight, then wiht your other breaker bar and socket you loosen the crank pulley.. easy as pie.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:35 PM
GDD's DJ EX-M0D

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jerseybrandon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stronger impact gun or a more ballsy compressor, whichever is the weak link.</TD></TR></TABLE>

^ That's what solved it for me when I was trying to get mine off.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have a freind hold the motor, get a big *** breaker bar, and go to work. works for me.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:25 PM

Default Re: How do I take the crank pully off the engine out of the car?! (iwhichisme)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iwhichisme &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have a freind hold the motor, get a big *** breaker bar, and go to work. works for me.</TD></TR></TABLE>
thats what i did on mine.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jerseybrandon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stronger impact gun or a more ballsy compressor, whichever is the weak link.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what i did and i had a flat head in the flywheel...
Old 09-18-2003, 03:40 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (degooser)

stick the close ended side of a wrench between the flywheel teeth and the tranny housing, if the tranny is still on. Works everytime for me.

Or take it to a shop that works on big trucks and have them rip it off for you with their big impacts
Old 09-18-2003, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your gun and air compressor just have to have the ***** to do it. I did mine at my dads shop after fuggin with it for hours. CAME right off!!
Old 09-18-2003, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do I take the crank pully off the engine out of the car?! (EF9_SiR)

so getting the crank pully off (replacing my timing belt) would be easier if the engine was still installed on the car?
Old 09-18-2003, 04:53 PM

Default Re: How do I take the crank pully off the engine out of the car?! (Civiclx)

i ended up running a bolt through power steering bracket into a stud in my basement to keep the engine itself from turning then i slid a smal flat crowbar inbetween one of the bell housing bolt and the teeth of the fly wheel and used a 3 foot breaker bar.

the moroso tool would be the easiest. it holds the pull and allows a breaker bar and socket to hold the nut and then you just pull the handle in opposite directions so nothing will turn untill the nut breaks.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:44 PM

Simple...

Use a punch a and BFH and get the washer to move behind the pulley.

Once that washer with have moved, you will be able to loosen the bolt by hand almost.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (degooser)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by degooser &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thats what i did and i had a flat head in the flywheel...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, same here. I took the starter out with the tranny still on and put a huge flat head in.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Skyllz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Skyllz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Simple...

Use a punch a and BFH and get the washer to move behind the pulley.

Once that washer with have moved, you will be able to loosen the bolt by hand almost.</TD></TR></TABLE>

WTF are you talking about? why don't you do it the right and smart way: pulley tool

Quick Reply: How do I take the crank pully off the engine out of the car?!