Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How do I swap an 01 Civic EX engine (auto) into an 00 Civic EX (auto)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 How do I swap an 01 Civic EX engine (auto) into an 00 Civic EX (auto)?

Hello to all, I have Some questions that i need some help on..

I'm looking to do an engine swap but i need some help on what parts/harnesses would be needed to make it possible. Here's the details..

I have a 2000 honda civic ex automatic. No engine mods. My brother has a 2001 honda civic ex automatic. No engine mods either, About 3 years ago his car spun out and smashed a car with the rear of his car leaving the front end untouched. a few days before he crashed, his tranny was rebuilt so id hate to let all of that go to waste, The engine has less than 50,000 miles on it also. Long story short i have his car in my backyard and id like to do an engine swap with his engine/tranny if possible. What i need to know is what parts from that car will i need to pull in order to make it work in my car? Thanks.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine swap help

Honestly I wouldn't even think about it there is alot more out for your motor as fair as performance parts and depending on production date of your car its a obd2b or it could be a obd2a and in that case you would need a jumper harness then mounts and i dont know if you would even have to swap the wheel hub assembly out because they might have used different size axles on the car.

Jw why do you want to do it? why not just part out his car?
Old 07-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do I swap an 01 Civic EX engine (auto) into an 00 Civic EX (auto)?

I was thinking of the swap because my car no matter what i do its just too damn sluggish. I mean i've taken it to several mechanics and changed several parts but still nothing! I bought the car in 2008 and it was running smooth. I took it to some mechanic for an oil change and he talked me into changing the tranny oil as he was under the car, Now its just a wreck with terrible mpg. im ashamed to call it a honda. So i figured my brother's engine was in overall better condition and being that he recently rebuilt his tranny i guess the car would be faster than it currently is. I'm not looking for no crazy racing speeds but i just need it to accelerate faster than it is now.. If i floor the gas.. my car literally takes 2-3 seconds to catch on and pick up speed which is hazardous on the highways. As for the car being obd2a or obd2b.. i have no idea, is their anyway how i can check it out? Id like to part out his car, i've tried to in the previous years but no one was interested so i just decided to make use of it if i could. thanks for the help!
Old 07-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do I swap an 01 Civic EX engine (auto) into an 00 Civic EX (auto)?

I've never heard of anyone swapping a D17 into a sixth generation Civic, which is what you want to do. There may be issues like the axles mentioned above, and as for mounts, I'm not sure if any are made for this purpose, not sure though.

I don't think it would really give you any extra performance anyway, the D17 wasn't a great motor and it was designed for economy anyway.If you are really bothered by your Civic's acceleration, swap to a b series, turbo it or get a new car. If you really want to swap though, post pictures, it would be interesting to see this since it hasn't been done much.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmmm... I figured it would be a possible swap since the car's are only one year apart but i'm no expert. I don't really care for turbo although it's something nice to have, Maybe if i find a nice stock si i would turbo it but, As for this car i want to leave the engine stock while getting the full power from the motor i once had. If a swap is not possible, is there any recommended tuning/repairs that should be done to regain my mpg and lost acceleration? Within the past 2 years i've changed the cap and distributor, upgraded to Ngk wires and plugs, changed the fuel filter, changed the IACV, i even seafoamed the gas tank and crankcase as i was told by a honda owner. I don't know what else to do. As for buying another car i just don't know yet.. If this car cant be restored to optimal performance maybe that is my better option. Ill post some pics of it as soon as my camera finds it's way into my possession again. -___-
Old 07-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like you need to find a new mechanic if you think he's messed up your transmission. Do you know if he used actual honda fluid? if not I would get it serviced somewhere else with the correct fluid also I would just do a drain and fill with replacing the filter.

Using the D17 is a bad idea and I don't think anyone makes a kit for it to work in the older civics. I know they are prone to spun bearings which the y8 is too but even worse on the D17's. Where I live you can find the 7th & 8th gen civic's for sale everywhere but you still see right many 5th & 6th still on the roads and rarely for sale.

Some things you could try if you haven't already done them is giving it a full tune up with plugs, wires, cap, rotor, check the timing, fuel filter, air filter, and clean out the throttle body and intake manifold. Don't forget to check your tire pressure too and make sure the brakes aren't dragging.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

D17As don't really swap, especially not with the auto tranny. The good news is D17s were junk anyway, they were well known for blowing headgaskets and the auto trannys were pretty craptastic as well.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After the oil change, that mechanic never seen me again cause his work is too sloppy. He used some fluid from autozone that was made for imported cars from what i could remember, another issue i forgot to mention is that the tranny oil dipstick does not stay locked in snugged. it is always loose, Im not sure if that can cause poor acceleration.

I never messed with the timing, fuel and air filters were replaced, Air was replaced like a month ago..i changed the wires and cap and spark plugs but i guess i can give it a shot once more, throttle body and intake i need to check along with the fuel injectors. Btw.. is there any symptoms of clogged or bad fuel injectors? And brake dragging is something i never heard of but will definitely check it out. thanks for the tips Kista.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
D17As don't really swap, especially not with the auto tranny. The good news is D17s were junk anyway, they were well known for blowing headgaskets and the auto trannys were pretty craptastic as well.
So now i guess its final, the swap idea would be a total waste of time if not, impossible. I guess ill just stick to trying to fix my car with my current engine and tranny setup.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 07-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As for the tranny dip stick they are known to be loose, will not affect performance. As for sluggish performance, not really the trans, but the way the engine is plus age, there is a lot of dead spots until the vtec kicks in. This is because it is a small 4.

I doubt you can swap the 01's engine, motor mounts prob will not match, need a computer, wire harness etc. a lot of work. Plus the tranny in the 01's were bad.

I would see if your engine is healthy and see if you can locate a jackson racing supercharger, will be hard to find but compatible with auto's.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Right now my mpg sucks ***, id hate to add a supercharger and let it suck even more gas, Ill have to take it to a good mechanic to tell me whats really going on with this car. None of these mechanics in new york that i took this car to could ever find out whats wrong with it. they keep telling me its a 4 cyl and its a honda that's why its sluggish but its my car and i know how it used to drive before any of them ever got to work on it.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock Hondas are slow. The D17 is kind of a bastard child. You can swap the D16Y8 head on, allowing you to run the distributor. The only question is if the 1988-00 transmission will mate with it.