Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How do I remove my dash...95 Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do I remove my dash...95 Civic?

Can someone post a link or anything that would be helpful? Thanks.
Old 12-31-2002, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How do I remove my dash...95 Civic? (WAFFLES)

Torch and a hack saw.
Old 12-31-2002, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do I remove my dash...95 Civic? (Spade)

any other suggestions?
Old 12-31-2002, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not that tough. If you get a Haynes or Chilton manual, it'll tell you pretty much everything you need to know. Take the steering wheel out, the center console, remove 6 bolts, unplug some harnesses, and that's about it.
Old 12-31-2002, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its not hard. i did it twice on my 97 hatch without any manual or anything. first you have to disconnect the steering column from the dash (take off the cover under the steering wheel, there were 6 bolts under the cover i had to unscrew to take mine off). then there's a couple clips you have to disconnect from the fuse box that go into the dash, and disconnect the antennae by the fuse box too. you also have to disconnect the passenger airbag, the clip should be somewhere behind the glovebox or on the left side of it (make sure your battery is disconnected so the airbag doesn't blow up in your face). then disconnect the little wire that goes from the heater control to the box under the dash (on the right side of the center column under the glove box). then finally you're ready to actually take the dash out, on my car there were 2 bolts in the center (requires taking out the armrest and ****), then 2 or 3 on each side of the car, on the actual car wall, then one in the middle of the dashboard by the windshield under a little cover you have to pop out with a flat screwdriver. you might need to take the glovebox off to get to the right side screws, i didn't need to but i did anyway to make it easier. it's good to have 2 people to actually take the dash out of the car because its kinda heavy and big to lift by yourself (especially in a tight space like your car). let us know how it goes
Old 12-31-2002, 03:35 PM

Default Re: How do I remove my dash...95 Civic? (civicdxtyper)

its not hard. i did it twice on my 97 hatch without any manual or anything. first you have to disconnect the steering column from the dash (take off the cover under the steering wheel, there were 6 bolts under the cover i had to unscrew to take mine off). then there's a couple clips you have to disconnect from the fuse box that go into the dash, and disconnect the antennae by the fuse box too. you also have to disconnect the passenger airbag, the clip should be somewhere behind the glovebox or on the left side of it (make sure your battery is disconnected so the airbag doesn't blow up in your face). then disconnect the little wire that goes from the heater control to the box under the dash (on the right side of the center column under the glove box). then finally you're ready to actually take the dash out, on my car there were 2 bolts in the center (requires taking out the armrest and ****), then 2 or 3 on each side of the car, on the actual car wall, then one in the middle of the dashboard by the windshield under a little cover you have to pop out with a flat screwdriver. you might need to take the glovebox off to get to the right side screws, i didn't need to but i did anyway to make it easier. it's good to have 2 people to actually take the dash out of the car because its kinda heavy and big to lift by yourself (especially in a tight space like your car). let us know how it goes
actually you can leave your steering wheel on if your good, but takin it off makes it easier, in no way should you have to take off the column though. And you dont' really need a second person to pull out a dash, it weighs maybe a couple pounds. I have taken mine out a couple times with no manual, its pretty much common sense, and very simple. Good Luck.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:39 PM

Default Re: How do I remove my dash...95 Civic? (DarkSubRosa)

actually you can leave your steering wheel on if your good, but takin it off makes it easier, in no way should you have to take off the column though. And you dont' really need a second person to pull out a dash, it weighs maybe a couple pounds. I have taken mine out a couple times with no manual, its pretty much common sense, and very simple. Good Luck.
Yeah, I don't think he's saying that you should take off the column, just drop it. I think there's like 4 bolts or something underneath there holding it up. Dropping it down will give you a little more room.
Old 12-31-2002, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How do I remove my dash...95 Civic? (dphi)

i just did it yesterday .. took 2 hours and was easy compared to what i though ..any questions let me know.
Old 12-31-2002, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do I remove my dash...95 Civic? (dphi)

Yeah, I don't think he's saying that you should take off the column, just drop it. I think there's like 4 bolts or something underneath there holding it up. Dropping it down will give you a little more room.
ya i didn't say take the steering column out of the car. i said to disconnect it from the dashboard. obviously you can't take the dash out without disconnecting the steering column because its connected to the steering rack.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:16 AM

I have never had to touch my steering column to get my dash out, since when is your dash itself connected to the column so that you have to drop it to remove the dash, yes it may make it easier but it is not necessary.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

a really big sledge hammer
Old 01-02-2003, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have never had to touch my steering column to get my dash out, since when is your dash itself connected to the column so that you have to drop it to remove the dash, yes it may make it easier but it is not necessary.
unless you only took the dash cover off, i don't see how you took the dash out with disconnecting the steering column from it. its attached to it! if it wasn't for the dash the steering column would be laying on the floor, there's nothing else that could hold it up.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i did it yesterday...took me and a friend about 3 hours to get it out and put the new one in. It was pretty simple, and yes I dropped the steering column. I went by what chiltons manual, and they even left some **** out. The most annoying frustrating part was getting the white and green wiring plugs from the Climate Control...

But now it's done, and I now have a black non airbag dash.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That was definately a learning experience! Not to bad except have to find out how to get that dang climate control wiriing harness.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do I remove my dash...95 Civic? (Chad)

a really big sledge hammer
and a hacksaw.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:36 AM

unless you only took the dash cover off, i don't see how you took the dash out with disconnecting the steering column from it. its attached to it! if it wasn't for the dash the steering column would be laying on the floor, there's nothing else that could hold it up.
dash cover, thats all the dash is basically is a cover, the steering column is attatched to a permantely welded in piece of metal that extends out from the inside of the firewall and is held on by 3 lower bolts and two upper bolts where a metal extension goes from the driver side inner wall over top of that metal piece then back down to the floor where the console area is.

I'm pretty sure ive taken everything apart so I really wish I knew where you are talking about it being connected.

[Modified by DarkSubRosa, 11:39 AM 1/3/2003]
Old 01-03-2003, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dash cover, thats all the dash is basically is a cover, the steering column is attatched to a permantely welded in piece of metal that extends out from the inside of the firewall and is held on by 3 lower bolts and two upper bolts where a metal extension goes from the driver side inner wall over top of that metal piece then back down to the floor where the console area is.

I'm pretty sure ive taken everything apart so I really wish I knew where you are talking about it being connected.

[Modified by DarkSubRosa, 11:39 AM 1/3/2003]
hm... it looks a little different on 5th gens... on 6th gens the steering column attaches to the dash frame, and he was taking out the whole dash, not just the cover. so you're saying the steering column attaches to the circled part?:
Old 01-03-2003, 05:22 PM

yea, he asked about a 95, so i was sayin on a 95, ive never taken apart a 96+, but yea that circled part is where the column connects on those generations and is separate from the dash itself.