Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how do i remove crank pull and get lots of leverage

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how do i remove crank pull and get lots of leverage

that bastard is on tight. no luck with impact. how can i prevent the wheels from spinning? i cant get enough leverage on it
Old 10-06-2005, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: how do i remove crank pull and get lots of leverage (the.hamburglar)

Are you saying you cant get if off with a impact. If not get a stronger one. Ive been using a rather cheap one actually for over a year now and have had no problem. The one im using is called Earth quake and is available at Harbor freight.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Re: how do i remove crank pull and get lots of leverage (T.J.)

try putting the spare donut tire on and the drop the car down and use a big breaker bar, spare tire allows room to stick in ur socket and extension, or put a screw driver in the teeth of the flywheel to jam it so it won't turn, thats the last thing i would try though
Old 10-06-2005, 03:24 PM
david

Default Re: how do i remove crank pull and get lots of leverage (Civicse)

some dude just told me to stick a big *** breaker bar in there. between the engine mount and shock tower, then just crank the car like twice. It will break loose.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how do i remove crank pull and get lots of leverage (david)

run up the brakes stiff like have somebody inside the car slamming that thing then do it... maybe
Old 10-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how do i remove crank pull and get lots of leverage (the.hamburglar)

my friend tied a rope to a breaker bar and hooked the rope up to a truck and bam it actually worked but thats real ghetto and not safe..
Old 10-06-2005, 03:56 PM

Look in my sig theres a how to on the subject, also theres a tool made to put in the pully to wedge it in place so one could jump on the breaker bar or use one hell of a cheater bar.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:14 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how do i remove crank pull and get lots of leverage (nocturnaldragon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocturnaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Look in my sig theres a how to on the subject, also theres a tool made to put in the pully to wedge it in place so one could jump on the breaker bar or use one hell of a cheater bar.</TD></TR></TABLE> Ive seen in a how to thread, take off the starter and stick a flathead screwdriver in the teeth of the flywheel to prevent it from moving, and then use your impact gun or breaker bar.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=649277
Old 10-06-2005, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how do i remove crank pull and get lots of leverage (turner7205)

thats what i did. it seemed to work alright. my bolt wasnt on very tight. hmmm. you know when you just try to break the bolt with the brakes engaged. it feels like there is elastic tension on the bolt. what is that tension? my timing blet was off and same with power steering and alternator?
Old 10-06-2005, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how do i remove crank pull and get lots of leverage (david)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by david &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">some dude just told me to stick a big *** breaker bar in there. between the engine mount and shock tower, then just crank the car like twice. It will break loose.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is a dumb idea since this will actually tighten the bolt. Remember, the crank pulley spins counter clockwise. The bolt will actually shear right off.

There's two tools shown in this link - one for hex crank pulleys and one for non-hex crank pulleys;
http://www.honda-acura.net/for...ulley
Old 10-06-2005, 09:34 PM

1 inch ratchet and extension, and a long *** breaker bar. Only way I could get mine off.

Oh, and have someone with a good screwdriver stop the flywheel from turning.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:36 AM

Do what everyone else said. When I did mine I took off the starter and had someone hold a screw in the flywheel. Make sure when you do that though that you find a good hole towards the middle of the flywheel instead of putting it in the teeth. Then just use the biggest breaker bar you can find and then put a long pipe on the end too. It'll come off eventually.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how do i remove crank pull and get lots of leverage (bebfsu1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bebfsu1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do what everyone else said. When I did mine I took off the starter and had someone hold a screw in the flywheel. Make sure when you do that though that you find a good hole towards the middle of the flywheel instead of putting it in the teeth. Then just use the biggest breaker bar you can find and then put a long pipe on the end too. It'll come off eventually.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you need a special puller to get that crank pulley off of the shaft or did it just come of easily by hand?
Old 10-12-2005, 06:30 AM

Default Re: how do i remove crank pull and get lots of leverage (dpkelly)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpkelly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Did you need a special puller to get that crank pulley off of the shaft or did it just come of easily by hand? </TD></TR></TABLE>

No special tool is needed. Once you get the nut off the pulley slides right off. Something else that I think no one else mentioned is that there's a little key in there too. Make sure you don't lose it when you pull the pulley off.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how do i remove crank pull and get lots of leverage (bebfsu1)

I used about 12" extension to bring it out of the wheelwell, then about 8ft of breaker bar. The wife stood on the brakes and I had it in 5th gear. Worked after about 10 minutes of hanging on the breaker bar. Oh, and lots of PB Blaster.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how do i remove crank pull and get lots of leverage (******)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ****** &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I used about 12" extension to bring it out of the wheelwell, then about 8ft of breaker bar. The wife stood on the brakes and I had it in 5th gear. Worked after about 10 minutes of hanging on the breaker bar. Oh, and lots of PB Blaster.</TD></TR></TABLE>

But how did you access the nut with the left front wheel on? Or did you use the smaller spare tire?
If find it's not possible to squarely place an extenstion on the nut even when the wheel is turned.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Old 10-12-2005, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how do i remove crank pull and get lots of leverage (boostedcivicsir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>

This doesn't work on a '92 civic dx much to my shock and horror.

I wish Honda would've made all crank pulleys with a hex indentation then I wouldn't be here asking this stuff.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:03 PM
Mr. Badwrench

damn thats a first for me.
sorry for the misinformation man. guess i havent paid much attention to them.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how do i remove crank pull and get lots of leverage (boostedcivicsir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpkelly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

But how did you access the nut with the left front wheel on? Or did you use the smaller spare tire?
If find it's not possible to squarely place an extenstion on the nut even when the wheel is turned.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I jacked up the left front corner of the car just a little. Enough that the space between the wheelwell and the wheel was bigger to allow to get on the bolt, but not so much that the tire started to lift off the ground. I did not use the spare tire. Don't even have one.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Weapon_R)

[QUOTE=Weapon_R]1 inch ratchet and extension, and a long *** breaker bar. Only way I could get mine off.

What he said.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ****** &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I jacked up the left front corner of the car just a little. Enough that the space between the wheelwell and the wheel was bigger to allow to get on the bolt, but not so much that the tire started to lift off the ground. I did not use the spare tire. Don't even have one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll first try that and then see if I need to remove the starter if it doesn't work. I plan to put the extension on a car jack for leverage though. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll first try that and then see if I need to remove the starter if it doesn't work. I plan to put the extension on a car jack for leverage though. Thanks for the info. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good luck. You might need 4-6 feet of breaker bar to loosen it.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ****** &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Good luck. You might need 4-6 feet of breaker bar to loosen it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've got a long metal pipe in the basement that'll fit right over my breaker bar.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: With my POS D15B2, Whereever whenever, United States

It's much easier to pull the tranny, then jam the flywheel with a screwdriver and then take it off

Quick Reply: how do i remove crank pull and get lots of leverage