Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how do I pop the hatch? ('00 civic)

Old 03-02-2009, 10:38 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do I pop the hatch? ('00 civic)

Hey guys,
New here - would appreciate some help/advice:
I just bought a used 2000 Honda Civic Special Edition hatchback... and I can't for the life of me find where the interior hatch release is. I drove an '88 civic hatch for the last 10 years, and the hatch release was on the floor just to the left of the seat. Where's this model's? Could they have made this car without an interior hatch popper? And the only way to open the hatch is by key? Crazy if so. I'm a musician and need to be able to release the hatch internally, without use of key (to let others get into the hatch and pull out gear without having to turn off the engine, pull the key and run around back - very inefficient). Is there a way to install something that will open the hatch internally if this model doesn't have an internal hatch release level? Advice? Recommendations?

Thanks!

- Brownman
Old 03-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how do I pop the hatch? ('00 civic)

There is none, opens from the back of the tailgate,
Old 03-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea there should be a little lever to let you open it from the back.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just smash out your back window.... easy access to your cargo anytime.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:49 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by brownman911
Hey guys,
New here - would appreciate some help/advice:
I just bought a used 2000 Honda Civic Special Edition hatchback... and I can't for the life of me find where the interior hatch release is. I drove an '88 civic hatch for the last 10 years, and the hatch release was on the floor just to the left of the seat. Where's this model's? Could they have made this car without an interior hatch popper? And the only way to open the hatch is by key? Crazy if so. I'm a musician and need to be able to release the hatch internally, without use of key (to let others get into the hatch and pull out gear without having to turn off the engine, pull the key and run around back - very inefficient). Is there a way to install something that will open the hatch internally if this model doesn't have an internal hatch release level? Advice? Recommendations?

Thanks!

- Brownman
'98-'00 hatches open from the rear. '96-'97 have releases on the driver's side floor space in the car.

The '98-'00 hatches have a handle above the rear license plate area. They also have a pop-up lock that can be seen through the rear glass. The '96-'97s have neither feature.

It's a big pain to replace the hatch. I'm not even sure how possible it is to install the '96-'97 type system on a '98-'00 vehicle.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you explain how special is your special edition? i thought it only came in CX and DX...

J
Old 03-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDMFreak
can you explain how special is your special edition? i thought it only came in CX and DX...

J
He's from Canada.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMFreak
Canadian, comes with rear wiper, tachometer, IIRC it also comes with 14 LS mesh wheels, don't quote me on that last one though, NOFX knows for sure, I seem to also recall that they could be had in white.

Originally Posted by CA6VTEC
He's from Canada.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a DX (not special edition) and I have a rear wiper and tach. Steelies for wheels though.

Anyways, yes, like everyone else said you have to use the key to open it. I was shocked too, it's weird, I didn't believe the old owner heh. If you know you have to make a few drop offs though, you don't have to run out and unlock it every time. Just unlock the hatch before you get in the car, then people can just pull the handle to open it as it's unlocked. on your final drop off just lock it before you close the hatch, and that's that (you can easily reach and push down on the pop up lock thing and lock it like taht while it's open, so you don't have to use the key to lock it).
Old 03-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i was kind of bummed about this too.