Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How do I keep water out of my del sol

Old 12-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I keep water out of my del sol

My del sol leaks around the top of the windows. It looks like the contact with the window and seal isnt good enough. Whats the best way to get that fixed? Im tired of riding around in a wet seat. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How do I keep water out of my del sol

Garage it or buy new seals, only option
Old 12-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

MSRP on new seals is about $780, ouch!
Old 12-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

buy universal seals, theyre pretty cheap and some sealer....
Old 12-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Split.sol.Eg1
buy universal seals, theyre pretty cheap and some sealer....
So just put some universal seal on top of the stock seals?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1) Clean all your roof seals with silicone grease, preferrably shin-etsu (available from dealers, I bought a bunch of tubes a while back from one over the internet), and a clean (disposable) rag.
2) Remove all your roof plastic panels to expose the mounting bracket underneath. They're held on with snap fittings, if you pull them straight down with enough force they should come right off.
3) Loosen side bolts, install targa on car (don't flip levers), push side panels (roof seals) out, get the targa panel square on the car
4) Roll window up, then try to get an even seal against the window. You may need to get out the other door of the car and look at them through the window to get an accurate judgement of your handiwork.
5) Tighten up bolts, flip lever, tighten remaining bolt, get out, inspect your handiwork from the outside
6) Repeat previous steps for other side of car
7) Remove targa, reinstall plastic panels, enjoy

In all likelihood unless your car never got retrofitted to 95/96+ seals (there was a recall for it), this is all you'll need to do. As the car gets older the car sags and the door seals need adjustment.

Note that if you really push the side panels too hard you'll break the rear window seal so that's why you want to loosely adjust everything then snug them up.

There's a bit of artistry in getting a good seals all the way around but go slow and keep futzing with it and you should get the hang of it. Took me a couple tries before I figured it out.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy668
1) Clean all your roof seals with silicone grease, preferrably shin-etsu (available from dealers, I bought a bunch of tubes a while back from one over the internet), and a clean (disposable) rag.
2) Remove all your roof plastic panels to expose the mounting bracket underneath. They're held on with snap fittings, if you pull them straight down with enough force they should come right off.
3) Loosen side bolts, install targa on car (don't flip levers), push side panels (roof seals) out, get the targa panel square on the car
4) Roll window up, then try to get an even seal against the window. You may need to get out the other door of the car and look at them through the window to get an accurate judgement of your handiwork.
5) Tighten up bolts, flip lever, tighten remaining bolt, get out, inspect your handiwork from the outside

In all likelihood unless your car never got retrofitted to 95/96+ seals (there was a recall for it), this is all you'll need to do. As the car gets older the car sags and the door seals need adjustment.

Note that if you really push the side panels too hard you'll break the rear window seal so that's why you want to loosely adjust everything then snug them up.

There's a bit of artistry in getting a good seals all the way around but go slow and keep futzing with it and you should get the hang of it. Took me a couple tries before I figured it out.
Thanks for the help! Ill try it tomorrow
Old 12-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good deal. I printed your post out. My del sol isn't running yet but after dealing with water problems before I'll definately use this as a guide when it starts to drive.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just to be clear, the "rear window seal" would mean the rear seal on the side windows, not the seal on the actual rear window. Sorry, I wrote that thing in a hurry and didn't proofread it.

Oh and when adjusting/tightening up the second bracket, be sure to leave the window rolled up and the door closed on the opposite side of the car when futzing it, otherwise you'll probably end up forming a brace that pushes the windows out, which will cause leaks at the front and rear of the side windows.

With both brackets at maximum adjustment they'll basically brace against each other and push the windows out. You just want a snug fit with cleaned seals.

Last time I bought a tube of grease it cost about $20, but you can get at least 2 years out of one assuming you do it 2-3 times a year. I usually clean mine in the spring and in the fall, basically before & after winter because it beats the hell out of the seals.