Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How do I get to the sunroof motor in my civic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I get to the sunroof motor in my civic?

Okay, I have a problem with my sunroof-it' not leaking, but it sticks and when I try to open it, it opens a little, then I have to push it pretty hard with my hand, and then it opens a little more, and then I have to push it again. It seems as if it gets stuck on something in there. I have done numerous searches. Some said to regrease the tracks, which I have done 10 times and it still doesnt' work. And all the other searches pointed out that most likely it's the motor-although the motor sounds strong-it just seems as if it gets stuck on certain opening intervals. So my question is, is how do I get to the motor in my sunroof?I want to replace it, but really have no idea how to get to it. I hope I don't have to cut into my headliner. Oh well, any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do I get to the sunroof motor in my civic? (slvrcivic97)

i have one for sale from a 98 ex if you want it. i took it out a while ago so i don't remember exactly what to do to get it out, but you will obviously have to take your roofliner out. to do that, you'll have to take out a lot of little plastic panels out. just see what's getting in the way from taking it out, and take that stuff out.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do I get to the sunroof motor in my civic? (civicdxtyper)

Oh great ...................................sounds fun.......................Thanks for the input though
Old 07-27-2003, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what did u use to regrease them? i had the same problem about a year ago and i just used spray silicone lubricant. worked great up until like, last month lol.

make sure the rubber isnt sticking to the paint as well. i sprayed some of the lube on a rag and wiped the weather stripping too.

Old 07-27-2003, 06:00 PM

Default Re: How do I get to the sunroof motor in my civic? (j.fuggi)

Have you tried White Lithium grease for the tracks?
If not then try that. If so then you are in for a treat with taking your headliner down to get to the motor.
Old 07-27-2003, 06:03 PM

Yes, you will have to remove the headliner to get to the motor. Remove the sunvisors, the a-pillar garnishes and the trim piece across the rear edge. Then, you should be able to shift the headliner to the left or right and slide it out of the remaining trim pieces. Don't crease it! You'll never get the mark out.

Just a thought. Before you dive into removing half your interior and replacing a motor, trying using the sunroof tool in the tool bag in the trunk. If the sunroof still hangs up when operating it with the tool, the problem is in the cables or track not the motor. Look in your owner's manual for more detail on using the sunroof tool. Good Luck!
Old 07-27-2003, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do I get to the sunroof motor in my civic? (Harpua)

whoa, thanks for all the help I will give it a shot tommorrow morning and let you know how it goes or if I run into any problems. Thanks again for all the help