Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How do I fix this disgusting brake issue.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I fix this disgusting brake issue.

I have a 92vx hatch with hawk HP+ pads up front and drums in the rear.

This is the issue, the brake pedal play is awefull, it takes about 1" of movement before the brakes actually do anything.

Today I tried a hard stop from about 120km/h-70 km/h and the brake pedal became firm again for a few minuets but then became nasty again.

The pedal also feels very very soft.

I took the covers off the drums and adjusted the pads out more, the pedal felt good for about 200 miles then progressivly got worse again.

I my brake fluid level has gone down though in the past 10 000km a tiny bit.

Anyone know any issues as to why the brakes are so shitty?

The brakes were good at this time last year, they got terrible again so i put in new pads, they were really good for the rest of the winter then got awefull in march.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Re: How do I fix this disgusting brake issue. (goldegg)

You can try bleeding the brake system...do a complete flush, also it may be time to replace you brake lines you may want to cincider upgrading to some SS lines. I just got done doing a little upgrade to my brake system and am quite pleased. I went to Pro Slot slotted rotors on the front with Hawk pads, SS brake lines, new shoes for the rear, and a complete flush of the brake system. She stops much better now.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by goldegg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 92vx hatch with hawk HP+ pads up front and drums in the rear.

This is the issue, the brake pedal play is awefull, it takes about 1" of movement before the brakes actually do anything.

Today I tried a hard stop from about 120km/h-70 km/h and the brake pedal became firm again for a few minuets but then became nasty again.

The pedal also feels very very soft.

I took the covers off the drums and adjusted the pads out more, the pedal felt good for about 200 miles then progressivly got worse again.

I my brake fluid level has gone down though in the past 10 000km a tiny bit.

Anyone know any issues as to why the brakes are so shitty?

The brakes were good at this time last year, they got terrible again so i put in new pads, they were really good for the rest of the winter then got awefull in march.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. have you adjusted your master cylinder push rod?that would cure the brake pedal freeplay.

2.check out all your seals, you can tell when they are leaking when paint is chipping/coming off.

3.how are your rotors?

4.when adjusting the star wheel for the drums, you should adjust it till it gets stiff, and then back some.

5. g/l man.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do I fix this disgusting brake issue. (egb16pg)

Thanks alot,

Do I need any special tool to adjust the master cylinder? and also, where is the adjuster located?
Old 07-24-2007, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by goldegg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks alot,

Do I need any special tool to adjust the master cylinder? and also, where is the adjuster located?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no just need a wrench,its the rod connected to your brake pedal that pushes the master cyliners pistons.you can adjust it under the driver side dash

g/l