Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HOW TO: DIY EP3 shifter into EJ1 chassis civc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 01:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW TO: DIY EP3 shifter into EJ1 chassis civc.

pretty much an ep3 shifter goes for about $50 on other forums, maybe on here. it is cheaper than getting a karcepts mounting kit ( you have to cut a pretty large hole in your floor-which i avoided because i plan on keeping this car for a while) and an rsx-s shifter box.

and the ep3 shifter can be modified for the 6 speed k series 2.0L transmissions at a later date.

due to where the ep3 shifters are mounted on the cars. you have to have the optional audio console. you can't use anything else in it besides the actual outer shell so all the brackets and what not cannot be used.

get in your car and play with the location and feel of your shifter, i had mine mounted lower and farther forward than where most of you would mount it. i am pretty short ( 5'6") so pm me if you want measurements of what i did, not bothering to put them on here.

so get your EP3 shifter, obvious how i got mine, guy was swapping his stock one out for the buddy club unit, so i bought it off him. threw it in the buddy club box and walked away with it for $30.

i had these "plates" of steel lting around from an old curtain set, they slip in on the bottom of the curtains. im sure you can make them or go buy them at homedepot or something. just a 16 gauge maybe 20 guages piece of steel. id go thicker since this is what you'll be shifting on pretty much. takes the weight of you slamming gears.

i needed to join these to roughly 10" pieces. which will have thicker "legs" pretty much making 2 right triangle looking supports with the hypotenuse? ( long edge) holding the shifter. on each side.

i bought this $60 welder at harbor freight last year, and i have never used it. so i ran a bead on scrap, it looked alright. since i can't use my stick welder without blowing holes through sheet metal like this. gave it a try. the wire feed speed is VERY inconsistant. if you buy this welder, cut the plastic hose down a little so it does'nt "bind" the wire, so you can have it flow nicer. for $70 this is good as a welder you can get haha.

batteries ran dead after i finsihed welding all the parts i needed. but i managed to take a picture of the paint i will be using on the brackets. the texture it makes, makes the part feel "stronger" in my opinion, might seem stupid but i like it.

i will mount the brackets after i, get a shipping quote for someone, and pick my bro up coming back from japan at LAX. ( those fires are going to make that trip EVEN worse)
Old 11-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO: DIY EP3 shifter into EJ1 chassis civc. (i drive a honda)

where's the finished product??
Old 11-19-2008, 01:44 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

up for lost thread restoration
Old 03-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO: DIY EP3 shifter into EJ1 chassis civc.

please finish
Old 03-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finish please.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DIY if you have a welder haha.. i would like to see where this is going.. my guess Convert from Mechanical linkage to cable then remount the shifter on the dash somewhere>???