Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How difficult and expensive to add A/C to a 95 Civic EX that didn't come with A/C ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How difficult and expensive to add A/C to a 95 Civic EX that didn't come with A/C ?

Hello guys,

I spend most of my time in the Integra forum, but, I have a question about a civic so here I am.

I'm trying to help my girlfriend find a car, well tonight we went and looked at a 95 Civic EX. They're asking $6k, and the car is in excellent shape, it has 90k, its black/black 5spd, and all the options.... except A/C.

I know lots of people rip the A/C off their cars to free up weight and parasitic drag, therefore, I figure I wouldn't have a hard time finding the parts to install it. However, what else is needed? Can I simply bolt up the A/C compressor, all the hoses, etc and run some wires for the switch and it will work? Or, what all is involved? Does it have anything to do with the ECU?

My question is how difficult and expensive will it be to add A/C to this car?

thanks!
-mike

PS. Please dont reply back saying "thats too much", or "buy a different car", etc., etc. Unless, you really do have reasoning. Its litterally impossible to find a nice used Civic EX around here, and when they do pop up, they're sold the same day.
Old 08-07-2001, 09:04 PM
B18C-EJ1

Default Re: How difficult and expensive to add A/C to a 95 Civic EX that didn't come with A/C ? (lilmikey77)

They're about $800 brand new from the dealer. I'm sure you could fine one used, and just put it in yourself.

Old 08-08-2001, 04:40 AM
New User

Default Re: How difficult and expensive to add A/C to a 95 Civic EX that didn't come with A/C ? (lilmikey77)

The labor is fairly straight forward. You will need all the parts of course, including the bracket that holds the compressor to the engine block. The wiring is already in the car.

Of course you will have to take the car to a shop to have the system purged and charged and they will probably have to do a few things to modify it to the new freon substitutes that they use so you might want to talk to a shop before you start bolting things on.

Mike
Old 08-08-2001, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How difficult and expensive to add A/C to a 95 Civic EX that didn't come with A/C ? (92sleepR)

Actually, if you get an ac system off of a 94-95 civic it should already be setup for the new system. 92-93 are the old system.
Old 08-08-2001, 06:28 AM

Default Re: How difficult and expensive to add A/C to a 95 Civic EX that didn't come with A/C ? (Vtec_INSIDE

How much do you guys think the complete A/C system will cost me? Used, of course.

I'll need the radiator & fan, the compressor w/bracket and all the lines, right?

I know I can handle the labor, and I know I'll have to get it charged afterwards.

thanks everyone!
-mike
Old 08-08-2001, 01:26 PM
New User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How difficult and expensive to add A/C to a 95 Civic EX that didn't come with A/C ? (Vtec_INSIDE

May want to re-think your decision on a used a/c system...
How can you be sure the a/c system was functioning correctly before installing it in your car?
Some of the aluminum fittings can get "brittle" over time and can crack or break when loosening them...
How long has the a/c system been without refrigerant in the system?.. R12 and R134a refrigerants contain PAG oil that lubricate the internal mechanical parts of an a/c compressor, not to mention, keeping the seals from drying out.. If no refrigerant has been present then problems may arise.. "tap" out the threaded holes on the a/c compressor bracket for the comp and the belt pulley, after 6 years of not being used, they'll be nice rusty for sure and you'll end up snapping a bolt...
Old 08-08-2001, 06:06 PM

Ok, well I got some info, thats all I needed.

She's not even sure if she's getting the car yet, but, if she does, It definately is possible to install A/C. We may luck out and get a recently removed used system for a good deal and luck out and everything works fine, otherwise, the worst that could happen is that I have to shell out $800 for a new kit from the dealer, than $100 to get it charged.

thanks everyone,
-mike
Old 08-09-2001, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your looking for civic with A/C i have one for sale

it's a 94 EX, white with gray interior; 5spd
fully loaded with A/C
i'm in ND, but i'll be happy to deliver it

email if your interested; gremln69@hotmail.com