Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How difficult is an auto to manual tranny swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 04:09 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How difficult is an auto to manual tranny swap?

For a 1992 Civic hatch? I found one for $1950, but it's auto I plan on building a hybrid out of it.... B20, B18b, or B18c. But what will I need besides the manual tranny to swap over to 5-spd? Clutch pedal assembly, Clutch master and slave cylinder....? Will any modification or fabrication be necessary, or are the holes and such already there? If I can just bolt everything into place it might be worth while, but if there's a lot of cutting and fabrication...I'll wait. THNX L8R
Old 01-17-2002, 06:59 AM

Default Re: How difficult is an auto to manual tranny swap? (TeggerLS)

its alot of work alot of time and money you could of got a manale for cheaper if u got it wrecked or no motor if i was you i would sell it and get a standerd or you can keep it, it all depands on how much work you want to put into the project and if its done right for the money your going to spend on replacing every thing you can just sell the car and then look for one that is stander that had a feader bender and get it pretty cheap that what i did anyway with my del sol i only payed 2000 for a 95 so its all up to you.
Old 01-17-2002, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Stick swap (I did it b4 w/ my old hatch B18),
parts: (for conversion - assuming you're swaping to a b-series)
clucth pedal assy (and brake pedal), clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, hydraulic lines (you can get these parts offa '92-95 civic, '93+ del Sol, '94-00 integra) also the parts for a motor swap (motor/tranny/ecu/axles/linkage/shifter/mounts/etc...)

modifications:
disconnect the automatic ecu (blue box where clutch pedal goes), remove grommets for the clutch master cylinder (all holes are already there), remove the automatic shifter (lever part, leave the "box" part), put in the clutch pedal assembly (bolt holes are there), then the m.cylinder and run the hydro-lines in the engine bay (easier if u got the motor out), swap the motor (w/ all parts - motor/tranny/linkage/axles/etc...), replace the stock ecu (automatic one), run the wires (if vtec), take the 2 wires from the reverse sensor (on tranny) and run it to the "automatic box" you left earlier - use a schematic to figure out the wires (I think they were yellow/green) - careful, do 'em wrong and you'll blow the backup fuse. oh, and cut a big hole where your automatic shifter sat for the new shifter to sit thru, use a "universal B&M round shifter boot" (its a metal plate w/ a rubber boot to insulate the shifter). Oh. and when dropping the motor in, they have a tranny mount for using B-series motors in '92+ civics/integras that were automatic, I had mines rewelded 'cuz the mount came out after my swap took place. Also, for the gauge cluster, you can replace it with a EX/Si one or disconnect the plug for the auto-gear selector light and put some white face gauges over them. Once you get the parts, and see what has to be done, its not that bad. It can be hard, but not impossible.

[Modified by SKiLLz-R, 7:08 PM 1/17/2002]
Old 01-17-2002, 10:34 AM
New User

Default Re: How difficult is an auto to manual tranny swap? (SKiLLz-R)

That doesn't sound too difficult I'm mechanically inclined and it's a long-term project so I probably will collect the small stuff for about a year, while I upgrade the suspension, brakes, and do body work(fiberglass fenders and a lil rot by rear bumper) The problem is that ppl must know what we use these cars for and sell them for high prices Cuz the cheapest I can find a manual 92 civic for is $3500:9 I think it'd be cheaper to do the auto->manual swap then pay that much. Plus I test drove it today and it runs beautiful So after I get done talking to my parents I might get it. Probably going to have to get rid of one of my cars I have a 1996 Integra LS and 1991 Jeep cherokee(the one to go) plus the Jeep is on it's way out, so might as well sell it while I can still get something for it. THNX L8R
Old 01-17-2002, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No prob. I did the swap, and my car was like a different car, too bad it got totaled. Anyways, let me know if u need ne info. L8r
Old 01-17-2002, 11:29 AM

i did the same swap in my del sol (auto-> manual) and it got totaled as well six months later and the sad part was i did an itr swap into it and only got to enjoy it for six months
Old 01-17-2002, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How difficult is an auto to manual tranny swap? (solo)

I know, the other hatch was my 1st car, motor lasted 6months, did the swap, and lasted me another 6 months. Now I've jus got me a Si (same year '93), and I'm swapping in another b18.
Old 01-17-2002, 11:45 AM

yeah, it was my first car too, i had it for nearly 5yrs and some girl ran a red light, so i t-boned her, didnt even see it comming, my frame was so twisted, that i would cost me over 9,000 to fix it, so they totaled it instead, i was so upset, its hard to see something you worked so hard for go itno pieces in a matter of minutes, i wasnt very happy
Old 01-17-2002, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How difficult is an auto to manual tranny swap? (solo)

mines happened on the way back from the highway, I was going str8 so I can go to manchester honda to check on something, I don't remember much, but I know a car cut infront of me and slammed the brakes (I was doing 50-55 about to exit), I switched lanes and remember sliding sideways - I hit the center divider head-on and blacked out, came to again and looked out my window to see a car about to hit me (I was still sideways), then my neck turned 180 and I blacked out again, woke up in my car on the other side of the highway, turned off my car and forced my door open and almost passed out infront of my car. damage to my car (externaly), was like 10k, my LS motor was salvagable - tranny shot (mount got ripped off). They said it was some guy "racing" in the highway that cut me off then cut the ppl. infront of me off, causing the whole accident, they were the ones who hit me after the center-divider. Eitherway, I walked away and I'm rebuilding, cars can be rebuilt, ppl. can't be brought back. L8r
Old 01-17-2002, 11:52 AM
New User

I found a link w/ info on parts needed http://www.torontocivics.com/article...to-manual.html
Old 01-17-2002, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, it was my first car too, i had it for nearly 5yrs and some girl ran a red light, so i t-boned her, didnt even see it comming, my frame was so twisted, that i would cost me over 9,000 to fix it, so they totaled it instead, i was so upset, its hard to see something you worked so hard for go itno pieces in a matter of minutes, i wasnt very happy
Damn dood I feel for you!!! The 2 accidents I have been in were both caused by women!!!
Old 01-17-2002, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How difficult is an auto to manual tranny swap? (WRCivicsSiandEX)

I don't know if the 1st guy 2 cut me off was a chick, but I know the driver who hit me on my side and knocked me into the other shoulder only to drive right into my rear driver side tire was a woman. Then again, for me, its not fair 2 say stuff bout her bein a chick b/c considering what happened, It was luck that nobody else got injured. Also, while my car got totaled beyond belief - her car only had a tweaked front bumper and a busted corner lense (89 hyundai hatch thing). Either way, I survived for a reason I guess. I'm already undergoing my next project - so I'm doing the swap myself (b18 vtec into si hatch, not bad for a 18yr old - lol).