Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How did your y7 act when your exhaust manifold cracked ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How did your y7 act when your exhaust manifold cracked ?

My 97 hatch has a magnaflow exhaust manifold with cat built in.
It started to develop a tiny crack right above where the cat starts by the seam closest to the pipe that goes to cylinder 1.
Now about 6 months later i noticed the leak was getting louder and checked and the crack is getting bigger.
Now at any random time the car also starts to loose power for like 2 seconds and bog down and jerk a little bit, ill push the pedal hard and eventually it gains all its power back and tires actually chirp,and a few times it wouldnt get its power back for a long time.

Ive changed Ignition coil,spark plugs,cap,fuel pump,3 different sets of wires even almost new oem sumitumos,check engine light blinked a few times when i stop but not all the time. Got the code read at the zone and it turns out i got misfire cylinder 1 and 2 and catalytic converter code.

So i unplugged the 2nd oxygen sensor just randomly and problem completely stopped and car runs good now its been like 1.5 weeks and not even a hiccup and i drive a lot not one hesitation.

Could that cracked exhaust manifold cause that 2nd oxygen sensor to go crazy and tell the computer to go lean or something?

Just curious what everybody else experienced with a y7 cracked manifold ? Thanks for looking
The problem actually made me worry and im hopefully picking up a cb7 on Monday for a back up car lol
Old 02-15-2015, 07:28 PM
Sol to Sol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How did your y7 act when your exhaust manifold cracked ?

Dad's D16 had a small crack in the front of the stock mani at the 3rd cylinder. It was actually a LARGE Crack on the back side, and even tho it passed inspection, and still got 30-33mpg like normal, one day I was driving down the road and it totally lost most of its power. I limped it home and pulled the head...

It BURNED THE #3 EXAUST VALVE.

So, YES, a cracked mani can make it go lean.

If you go up 75 to Pronto Muffler in Plano, they can weld it up for you.. Probably should take it off to be sure its not also cracked on the back like his was. They can do it fast, or someone near you can. (Pronto used to do these fast jobs for free, but that was YEARS ago, so ask around if you're not close)