Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to deal with insurance....please help!!...LONG...(StateFarm Canada)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to deal with insurance....please help!!...LONG...(StateFarm Canada)

OK...my car was in a hit and run accident and here are the details.....

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=500335

So today, i went to see my insurance company to drop off the police report etc and the paper work took 10 min....nice and easy. Even the body shop i had in mind was already a StateFarm certified bodyshop meaning i could just drop off my car and pick it up when it's ready. So off i went to the body shop and showed them the car and instructed the shop to use only OEM parts.....whatever comes off the car will be replaced with OEM ones. BUT, the body shop tells me that the estimate will be done with aftermarket stuff and once they get the estimate done, i will have to take it up with insurance as to what parts he can use to fix the car...he has no say in it. Now i did a little research on the internet and it seems that Statefarm, in the past couple years, has lost a major class action suit regarding using non-OEM parts in repairing cars but i do not beleive this applies to Canada. Has anyone ever filed a claim before? What did you do in order to get the insurance company to use OEM parts? Please help a fellow member out! Thanks!

BTW - the car is a 2000 model with 29,000KM (20,000 miles) on the ODO meaning it's MINT! Everything that was damaged is OEM parts.....

Old 05-09-2003, 06:45 PM

Default Re: How to deal with insurance....please help!!...LONG...(StateFarm Canada) (eg-six)

hey man....
wassup....

u have the right to choose which shop or what parts they use to fix ur car....
call my shop 416292-6642....

when i got into the accident..he dealt with my ins..(statefarm) also in canada...
you can have all OEM parts if u want.. trust me..OEM is worth the extra.....i've had the aftermarket ones before...it's like tin can..
Old 05-09-2003, 07:04 PM

Default Re: How to deal with insurance....please help!!...LONG...(StateFarm Canada) (domanicivic)

yep, i fought dam ******* to put oem back on my car too. BUT, when you get the insurance, there is a disclamer that says what they are allowed to use, depending on who is at fault. usually, statefarm is all oem, if the party at fault is paying many times, they try to go cheap on parts, and this is called subbrogation my friend. fight for as long as you can, hopefully youll get statefarm to get oem on your car, if not pay difference and throw a case on fault party. later.