Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how to clean throttle body and intake manifold

Old 03-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to clean throttle body and intake manifold

like title says...whats best DIY to clean a itr intake manifold and itr throttle body
Old 03-04-2009, 04:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: how to clean throttle body and intake manifold

pretty straight forward , take them off and polish them with a metal polisher .
Old 03-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

internally of carbon buildup..whats best way to clean inside. already off the car
Old 03-04-2009, 04:58 PM

remove the tb from the IM, remove IM from the head. use carb, throttle body cleaner, or brake cleaner to hand clean the throttle body with a rag, paying close attention to throttle butterfly edges. if you have access to a solvent tank you can soak your IM (after removing sensors) and clean in the tank with a brush. after you're done in the solvent (or if you dont have access to one) use carb/tb/brake cleaner to remove solvent/carbon goo. I would advise not using a rag to clean the runners in case a fiber gets snagged/loose inside. use paper/shop towels instead. be sure to clean the mating surfaces and replace TB/IM gaskets- also a good time to pick up a phenolic IM gasket to gain a pony or two.

If you dont want to remove either component from the engine you can still hand clean the TB with the cleaners listed. if your engine is OBDI, you can start your car and spray the TB cleaner directly into the TB while throttling the car with your other hand. If you have an OBDII car i would advise against this step since you may set a CEL. you can also drip some top engine cleaner into a vacuum source on your IM to clean your intake valves and part of your IM runners.

cheers!
Old 03-04-2009, 05:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Old 03-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech-Jake
If you have an OBDII car i would advise against this step since you may set a CEL
haha! thats how i cleaned mine. i had the car off and i was spraying it with tb cleaner. then when i tried to start it, i didnt. it just turned over. but after trying for several minutes, it FINALLY started. i was revving the engine to like 4k rpm to make sure it would keep starting after i shut it off

other than that, it worked GREAT! lol.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tech-Jake
If you dont want to remove either component from the engine you can still hand clean the TB with the cleaners listed. if your engine is OBDI, you can start your car and spray the TB cleaner directly into the TB while throttling the car with your other hand. If you have an OBDII car i would advise against this step since you may set a CEL. you can also drip some top engine cleaner into a vacuum source on your IM to clean your intake valves and part of your IM runners.

cheers!
Hi, I just got done cleaning my throttle body for the first time today. My car 1997 d16y7 was off and I sprayed it in the butterfly valve with a rag and wiped out all the gunk. When I tried to turn my car on, it didn't start immediately and the idle sounds like it's about to stall. And my CEL is on. What should I do now?
Old 03-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KKRIS
Hi, I just got done cleaning my throttle body for the first time today. My car 1997 d16y7 was off and I sprayed it in the butterfly valve with a rag and wiped out all the gunk. When I tried to turn my car on, it didn't start immediately and the idle sounds like it's about to stall. And my CEL is on. What should I do now?
Did you take it off the car? If not, all the gunk you broke loose might have run down into your IAC valve, and God knows where else. You could try Seafoam. There are tons of tutorials on how to use that stuff, so I won't get into it.